- The Library is (Sort of) Open Again! You can now make an appointment for 30 minutes of browsing or computer time on Mondays and Thursdays, 4:15-7:45. Tuesdays through Fridays, 9:15-9:45, are reserved for seniors and at-risk. Look for complete information at the link at waylandlibrary.org. Book an appointment through our Events calendar, or give us a call at 508-358-2311. It’s not as much service as we’d like to offer, but the journey of a thousand miles….
- Holiday Gift Guide. Stuck for a present for the reader on your list? You’ll find great ideas of every candy stripe in the annual Wayland Library Gift Guide. Top titles for thrill seekers, deep thinkers, history buffs, and everyone else. Grab a print copy when you pick up your holds, or peruse it online by clicking on the link in the Library Spotlight on our home page. We have suggestions for teens and kids, too.
- Library Browser Extension. And before you pick up one of those Gift Guide books for yourself, check the Library Extension. It’s software that you add to Chrome, Firefox, or Edge and tells you if a title is available in the Minuteman Library Network—or any of more than 5,000 libraries around the world–when you’re searching your favorite online bookseller. It’s free, easy to install, and it just might save you a little money.
- Noon Book Group. We’ll be discussing Wide Sargasso Sea, Jean Rhys’s lyrical, haunting answer to Jane Eyre. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom link. Friday, January 8.
- Wayland Lived Experience Project. The Project is a grassroots story-collecting initiative to understand identity-based bias that may be occurring in our community. If you or someone you know has been targeted due to race, ethnicity, spoken language, (dis)ability, gender, sexual identity or some other aspect of identity, please consider completing a survey at https://bit.ly/3guv87T or encouraging others to do so. Responses from anyone living, working, studying, worshipping in or visiting town are welcome. The Project is an effort of the Human Rights Commission Study Group, a group of residents exploring the formation of a human rights commission, a new town committee, by petitioner’s article. For information or questions, email WaylandLivedExperiences@gmail.com .
- New Tutors in Library’s ESOL Program. Ten generous and enthusiastic people have recently completed a training course and are now certified to be tutors of ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages). They’ll work one-to-one with learners from various countries. Recent learners have come from Israel, Turkey, Syria, Guatemala, Venezuela, and China. As all tutoring is currently done remotely, tutors and learners use whatever technology works for them, be it FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, or simply phone and email. There’s always a need for tutors. The next training course will be offered in the winter, probably in late February. For more information, contact Ginny Steel at 781-541-4919 or at email@example.com.
- Holiday Closings. The Library will be closed from noon on December 24 through December 25 for Christmas, and from 3 p.m. on December 31 through January 1 for New Year’s.
FOR BABIES, TODDLERS AND PRESCHOOLERS
- Singalong on Zoom with Jeannie Mack: Stories, Songs, and Sign. Jeannie Mack will perform all kinds of fun, bounce-around, sing-along songs geared for young children. Plenty of opportunity for audience participation! Please register here or online on our eventkeeper calendar for the zoom link. Questions? Contact Pam at firstname.lastname@example.org. For ages babies to 4 years. Thursday, January 7, 10:30-11:15 a.m.
- Storytime on Zoom. Join Ms. Pam for stories songs, puppets, and crafts through zoom. This interactive storytimes encourages language development, socialization and fun. For ages 2.5 to 5 years. Please register here or on our Eventkeeper calendar if you would like to join our Zoom storytime. Questions? Please contact Youth Services Librarian Pam McCuen at email@example.com. Thursdays, Jan. 14, Jan. 21 and Jan. 28 at 10:30 a.m.
- Weekly Facebook Live Storytimes with Ms. Carly. Join Ms. Carly for a Facebook Live storytime on the Wayland Public Library’s Facebook page. Babies through preschool age are invited to listen to stories, sing songs, and perform fun rhymes and movements. Tuesdays, Jan. 5, 12, 19 and 26 at 10:30 a.m.
- Bedtime Storytime on Facebook Live. Join Ms. Carly for a Virtual Bedtime Storytime on the Wayland Public Library’s Facebook page. Wear your pajamas and watch with a favorite stuffed animal if you want! Best for ages 0-5, but all kids and their caregivers are welcome. Wednesday, January 6, at 6:30 p.m.
FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
- Explore All Colors with Ms. Elise. Join Ms. Elise in an interactive exploration of all colors. There will be stories, activities, and a scavenger hunt! For ages 4 and up. Register here for the zoom link. Wednesday, January 6 at 3 p.m.
- Holiday Gift Guides. Looking for the perfect gifts for the readers on your list? We can help! We have book gift recommendations for children, teens, and adults. Request a print copy for your curbside pickup bag or download copies for children, teens, and adults, here.