- Author Talk: Kate Clifford Larson. Join bestselling author Larson as she discussses her latest book, Walk with Me: A Biography of Fannie Lou Hamer. Based on previously untouched archival records and interviews with Hamer’s fellow activists, Walk with Me is the most comprehensive biography of one of the most important civil rights leaders of the 1960s-70s. Register on our Events page. Thursday, October 7 at 7 p.m.
- Signing Basics. Learn basic phrases such as, “Hello, I name____ I” and “You Name What?” via Zoom from a live American Sign Language instructor. You’ll also learn new vocabulary at each session to increase your signing skills. The course–limited to 20 students–comprises four sessions. Register on our Events page. Wednesday, October 6, 13, 20, and 27, from 6-6:45 p.m.
- ESOL Tutor Training. Have you ever thought about volunteering to tutor someone in English? There’s a great need for tutors, and you can make an enormous difference in someone’s life. Program Director Ginny Steel will lead a five-session training course on Wednesday evenings via Zoom. The only cost is for a textbook (about $40). For more information or to enroll, contact Ginny at 508-358-7517 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Wednesday, October 6, 13, 20, 27 and November 3 from 6-9 p.m.
- Discovery Channel at the Library. “Black Files Declassified,” a Discovery Channel series that examines various CIA Cold War operations and their implications today, will film an episode at the library on the science of sound. Joe Pompei of Holosonics in Watertown will demonstrate an audio speaker that can send sound like a beam of direct light. Patrons taking part in the demonstration will be interviewed, signing a release. Time and date might change—call ahead. Friday, October 8 from 9-11 a.m.
- Adult Craft: Pumpkin Ornament. Create a cute pumpkin ornament using an upcycled sweater! Do it on your own, or join us on Zoom to learn and craft together. Register by Monday, October 11th for a kit and a day to pick it up. Limit 20 people. The kit includes instructions and all materials, including sweater scrap. You provide glue (Elmers, Mod Podge, or a hot glue gun) and scissors. Thursday, October 14 at 4 p.m.
- Evening. The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl. Monday, October 4 at 7 p.m. Contact email@example.com for the Zoom link.
- Noon. Red Island House by Andrea Lee. Friday, October 8. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom link.
- Cookbook Club. Love and Lemons Every Day by Jeanine Donofrio. Thursday, October 14 at 6:30 p.m. Contact email@example.com for the Zoom link.
- Social Justice. We Want to Do More Than Survive by Bettina Love. Monday, October 18 at 7 p.m. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom link.
FOR BABIES, TODDLERS AND PRESCHOOLERS
- PLAY! Kits for toddlers and preschoolers. The Children’s Room is launching a set of themed PLAY! Kits to check out and enjoy at home with your toddlers and preschoolers. Each kit contains 6 to 7 new books, an educational toy, as well as an activity sheet and a song sheet to inspire at home learning and fun. Language-rich, child-centered play fosters early literacy, social emotional growth, problem solving skills, and the confidence to take on new challenges. Developing these skills now will help your child be ready for school. The PLAY! Kits are funded by the Mind in the Making Grant, federal funds provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services and administered by the Massachusetts Board of Commissioners.
- *Outdoor Fall Sing-Along with Jeannie Mack. Sing songs to welcome in the fall! Jeannie Mack will perform all kinds of fun, bounce-around, sing-along songs geared for young children. Plenty of opportunity for audience participation! For babies, toddlers, and preschoolers with caregiver. We will meet on the green lawn behind the library. For babies, toddlers, and preschoolers with caregiver Register HERE or from our Eventkeeper calendar. Thursday, Oct.14 at 10 a.m. (Rain date is 10/21 at 10 a.m.)
- *Outdoor Storytimes with Ms. Carly. Join Ms. Carly for an outdoor storytime! Children and their caregivers will listen to stories, sing songs, and perform fun rhymes and movements. We will meet on the green lawn behind the library. For babies through preschool age children, with caregivers. Registration required. Face masks are encouraged for adults and for children ages 2+. We encourage attendees to bring along a picnic blanket or a lawn chair. This event is weather permitting. You can register here or from our online eventkeeper calendar. Tuesdays, Oct. 5, Oct. 12, Oct. 19, and Oct. 26 at 10:30 a.m.
- *Outside Storytimes with Ms. Pam! Join Ms. Pam for stories, songs, puppets, and activities OUTSIDE on the lawn behind the library. For ages 2.5 to 5 years with an adult. You can register here or from our online eventkeeper calendar. Thursdays, Sept. 30, Oct. 7, Oct. 21, and Oct. 28 at 9:30 a.m.
FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
- Sculpture Naming Contest. There’s a new sculpture in the Friends’ Garden at the library entry, and we want YOU to help us name her. Please visit us on facebook to vote for your favorite name for the new sculpture. We had many submissions and are posting the top five for your votes. The bronze sculpture was created by local sculptor Janice Corkin Rudolf, and is in memory of longtime Wayland resident and Wayland Garden club member Pat Jones. The gift was made possible through the generosity of the Pat’s family and friends as well as the Wayland Garden Club.
- *Pokemon Card Trading Day. First ever Pokemon card trading day at the library. Come with cards you are willing to trade! We will meet on the green lawn behind the library. This event is weather permitting. For ages 7 to 11. Please register HERE. Wednesday, Oct. 6, at 4 p.m.
- *The Sun and Daytime: Outdoor Storytime with Ms. Elise. Ms. Elise will read picture books that feature the Sun and Daytime. For ages 4 and up with an adult. Please register HERE or online from our Eventkeeper calendar. Wednesday, October 13 at 3:00 p.m.
- 4th/5th Grade Book Club on zoom. We will be discussing Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan. Register HERE for the zoom link. For 4th and 5th graders. Questions or to get a copy of the book email Pam at pmccuen@minlib. Tuesday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m.
- *Celebrate Fall and Go Outside!: Outdoor Storytime with Ms. Elise. Ms. Elise will read picture books that celebrate fall and spending time outside during this wonderful season. For ages 4 and up with an adult. Please register HERE or online from our Eventkeeper calendar. Wednesday, October 20 at 3:00 p.m.
*Outdoor programs meet on the green lawn behind the library. We will assist in maintaining social distancing but encourage attendees to bring along a picnic blanket or a lawn chair. Registration is required. Outdoor programming is weather permitting. Call or follow us online for updates.
Teen Advisory Board Meeting. Teens! We want to hear from you! What kinds of library programs would you enjoy? What materials and services would you like from your public library? Please come to our first Teen Advisory Board Meeting of the year and let us know. We will also talk about our favorite books and movies of the summer. There will be plenty of free ARC’s (advanced readers’ copies of books). We will meet in the Teen Space upstairs int the library. Please register HERE or online from our eventkeeper calendar. Thursday, Oct. 21, at 4 p.m.