- The Art of Songwriting: Painting a Picture with Words and Music. Enjoy an evening of musical creativity with local musician and songwriter Steve Robb. Using his songs as examples, Steve will go through his own process of writing music that can be romantic, humorous, surreal or heartbreaking. Steve’s songs span many genres, from folk to blues, roots to rock, and he performs regularly in the area with his band and as a soloist. Catch him on Monday, August 27 at 7 p.m.
- Trivia Night. Join us for an end-of-summer “Libraries Rock” Trivia Night. Bring your team of 2-5 players or join one when you get here. Signup is preferred but not required. We’ll play 4 rounds of 10 questions each. Watch for clues on our social media and at the Circulation Desk throughout August. We’ll have pizza, lemonade and popcorn on hand. The team with the highest score will win a $50 gift card to The Local in Wayland Center! The fun happens on Tuesday, August 28 at 7 p.m
- Art Exhibits in August. In the Raytheon Room, you’ll find beautiful mixed-media paintings by Patricia PenaCalle. In the foyer, look for photographs of the waterways of Wayland by Wayne Hall.
- English Conversation Groups. There are three English conversation groups at the library this summer. A beginner’s group for those who do not speak English at home meets 10:30-11:30 a.m. on Friday mornings. The intermediate groups meet on Monday nights 7-8:30 p.m. in the Raytheon Room, and Wednesday mornings 10-11 a.m. in the library balcony. These two groups are intended for speakers who know the basics of English and want to refine their conversational skills.
- Adult Summer Reading—Get in On the Fun. Summer Reading is not just for kids! Grownups can earn raffle tickets for a chance to win a gift card or library swag. All you have to do is peruse a library magazine, read to a child, attend a library program or read and recommend a book to a librarian. Sign up online or ask a reference librarian for details.
BABY AND PRE-SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- Weekly Storytimes
- Mother Goose Time (Infants-2.5 years) Tuesdays, Aug. 21, Sept. 4, 11 and 18 at 10:30 a.m.
- StoryVine (2.5 -5 years) Thursdays, Sept. 20 and 27 at 10:30 a.m.
- Music and Movement. Get your wiggles out! Songs, dances, and stretches for walkers to age 5. Wednesday, August 22, 10:30-11:00 a.m.
- Zumba Kids Jr. Rhythm and dance program for children ages 2.5 to 4 years old. Led by Hayley Chizinsky of H2K Happy Healthy Kids Fitness Studio. Tuesday, August 28, 10:30-11:00 a.m.
- Going into Kindergarten Story Walk. Enjoy time with your child, expand their literacy skills by reading and talking about pictures, and get some physical activity at this Story Walk of the picture book The Kissing Hand, led by Beverly Mobilia of Wayland Community Partnerships for Children and Families. We will meet on the lawn behind the Children’s Room. In the event of inclement weather, we will hold this event inside. For incoming Kindergarteners with parent/caregiver. Tues., August 28, 3:30 p.m. (This event was rescheduled from Aug. 7.)
- Drop-in Family Game Day. Spend quality time with your children and their friends and play board games at the library. A great time to catch up with friends before school starts! For ages 4 and up, with caregiver. Wednesday, August 29, 3:00-4:30 p.m.
- Teen Movie Night: Love, Simon. Come to the library and watch Love, Simon with your friends! Snacks will be served. Rated PG-13. Running time 109 minutes. For teens in grades 6 and up. Thursday, August 30, 6:30 p.m.