Thread: driver's licenses from KMart????

Unhappy driver's licenses from KMart????

Although I wish I didn't feel so compelled to write about this, I find I must. Hmmm, in the near 4 decades I have had my driver's license, I have noticed some once regularly observed 'right of way' laws ignored more than not and so many folks who feel no compunction about riding my rear bumper when I'm driving at least 5 miles above the speed limit that, well, causes me to put my foot lightly on my break! Oh, another one: trying to get out of my street onto Route 27 not far north of the Middle school renders me taking regular and random polls of the increasing # of drivers that SPEED up & try NOT to let me get out of my street before they pass. WHY is this I often wonder?? I'm so NOT an old lady who just complains everything new or finds wrong in everything, nor do I sit at green lights! I'm the child and sister of race car drivers. I'm a defensive driver, but not so much so it is any sort of hindrance. But I find myself getting VERY frustrated the last couple, few years?

It's regular people who seem to have lost the once ordinary and natural courtesy of sharing the road with other drivers. People who ZOOM to make an illegal left off of Rt. 27 N. onto Rt. 30 S by Starbucks makes me want to just go straight into them - I have not. I will admit that when I am the first at the light on 27 south and someone is signaling left going the other way, I make every effort to GO STRAIGHT quickly when I see them ready to take that left - regardless. OK, I try to say the Serenity Prayer and not care so much... it's a 50 50 call. It's not worth getting crazed. But ofcourse I have instructed my children to the laws of the road, but to be ever watchful of the inconsiderate, often reckless drivers out there. Any thoughts, ideas comrades, help, guidance!! all best, hope
    Last edited by Administrator; 01-09-2006 at 04:52 PM. Reason: removed erroneous link - did not edit text of message

Default Speaking of Wayland drivers....

I feel your pain. These drivers must be the same ones that speed right through the crosswalk at Old Connecticut Path and Charena Rd with total disrespect to the parent at the crosswalk trying to safely get his son across the street. It astounds me how many drivers (many repeat offenders) just refuse to stop to allow my son to safely cross, despite my angered stares and hand gestures.

Couldn't just a few of the thousands of dollars that I pay each year in taxes be utilized by the police department to cover the cost of having a crossing guard present at this crosswalk? When I was my son's age and used to walk to Happy Hollow there was always a crossing guard at this crosswalk. This was many years ago and the traffic was not anything like it is today. Who decided that a crossing guard was no longer a necessity? For that matter, why is there not a "Stop for Pedestrian" sign like at other crosswalks located near our schools? We're talking about the safety of our children here !!

It's sad that in the spring and fall when the weather is nice I can't let my son walk to and from school because the drivers in this town refuse to show "a little courtesy". (Remember that slogan used by the Mass. State Police?)

Nobody's morning commute should be so important that they would be willing to put the safety of our children at risk.

I know that some of these drivers are not Wayland residents, but I know for a fact that a whole bunch of them are because of the landfill stickers on their windows, and the Warriors bumper stickers, or the child in their car who is going to the same school my son is attempting to get to.

Phew, I'm glad I got that of my chest !!!!

Thank you Wayland E-news for offering residents a place to voice our concerns...

Brian Locke (40-year Wayland resident)

Default Risk our lives getting the mail

I must agree- we live on Old Conn Path and literally risk our lives to get the mail--which is accross the street. So many days I get stuck on the other side while cars whizz by at speeds so fast the wind almost knocks me over!! I'm not a slow driver, but always stop for a pedestrian!

Our young children are considered "walkers" to Happy Hollow. What a joke-- I'll be surprised if they can cross the street safely in time to walk to the High School!!! I absolutely agree that there should be a crossing guard by Charena and other "walker" zones. There is no excuse for cars that go so fast that they are unable to stop for kids waiting to cross. Even around school transition times these hurried people speed by us only inches away from young children standing at the curb---one slip is all it would take for tragedy.

There is good reason that we have had only 1 trick or treater each of the last 4 years--who would want to cross OCP even once a year!!!

Angry get their license plate #

Once, after I moved to town in 1997, their was a driver who cut me off to take a left off of rt. 27 S onto East Plain Rd... I was going straight on 27 N. The lights, and delays have changed I believe... but then they both turned green at the same time.

I got the license plate... I had three elementary school age kids in the car and was very angry that I was inches short of barreling into him as I was all ready moving along straight as he cut me off. I got his license plate - vanity - very easy to remember. I called the police when I got home, pre-cell phone madness. The police traced the license place and visited him at his home in Wayland... he told a little different story... WRONG. But, if any one endangers a pedestrian... the are going to be visited by the police if you get the license plate #, preferrably color, make of car. I grew up in the '50's in a suburban town in NY. A young 4th or 5th grader was killed on a bridge over a sizeable pond/creek/??? anyway... for years folks complained that the bridge needed to be made wider, along with a regular sized sidewalk. It took my friend's brother's death to make that happen. Don't let crazed drivers near schools get away with it. If repeated messages are sent to the public, the incredibly selfish drivers... maybe it will change. You should also be able to get a sign appropriate for "Kids cross-walk" or other appropriate from the Highway department without too much hassle even if it has to go before a 'highway board'. Get a petition going at the school, neighbors, signature, written name, address,... to present to the board. (see being an advocate for years might be useful now). My son had to go the back roads to the middle school and walk to 27 to cross the street at that cross walk when I wasn't around, because he wasn't allowed to go to the bottom of our little street and cross - no one would stop. I'd like to say that as he is 16 1/2 now it is different. When I go to walk the dog, I can wait for three or 4 cars to pass both ways before, either there is an opening, or someone decides to flash me to cross - I RUN ACROSS THE STREET with the dog. hope

Hope, good advice regarding the ideas on how to get the appropriate signage for our crosswalk. It just strikes me as odd that we should need to start petitions and to bring our safety concerns in front of a "board".

The Police are aware that this crosswalk once had a crossing guard and the Highway Department is aware that a 'State Law - Stop for Pedestrians' sign once was present at this crosswalk. Undoubtedly, they drive through this crosswalk on a daily basis. Should it really be necessary to remind them that just maybe it would be in the town's best interest to replace the sign or to reinstate a crossing guard? I know the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but this just seems like such a 'no-brainer' that the Town should act without the public needing to speak up first.

That being said, I will make the necessary calls because I would not want to see something unfortunate happen while we wait for the Town to act.

Default 27/pelham island

Great thread. I'm equally frustrated with the lack of sensibility on the roads. It is certainly not limited to Wayland (for those of you who have visited New York City, you know what I mean), but it is definitely a problem here that should be fixed. Recently, the town removed the signage on Rte 27 at the intersection just north of the 27/20 intersection (by Pelham Island road) that instructed drivers to stop "here" on red light (meaning the light up on Rte 20). Why did they remove that sign?? Granted, only 1 in 5 people paid any attention to it, but at least it gave some indication that coming off of Mill Pond by the Public Safety Building and trying to go straight or (heaven forbid) turn left is a kamikaze move at best. It's hard enough to get past some of these crazy intersections -- let's get any help we can!

Unhappy Police attention before the fact

Hello all,

"to the old wayland" - I suspect my former side of town in suburban NY in those days was obviously less of a lot of things - as was Wayland back then. All of life was not run by digital clocks down to the silly nano second. Folks weren't as laid back as rural Missouri, but they weren't looking out for just themselves either. This is not merely selective romantic recall either. OK so 4 way stop signs were added while I was at college on cross roads that used to - I guess at one time have none, then two, then four. However I could easily walk up three full blocks to the park without my parents worrying at 6 years old easily... ok, they showed me the rules of looking both ways, and there were stop signs, but regardless... it was unheard of to SPEED through a 4 way intersection on those streets back in them there dark ages!
    It is sad that petitions MAY -(not positive about this) be helpful to have safety signs in neo- bright larger font - with another for speed zone - near a school 20 mph is TOO FAST. I go 10 at most past Happy Hollowl At loker their was a crossing guard even when my kids were there - not that long ago... I've only been in town 9 years... no one is in college and one a JR in H.S. DEMAND the crossing guard for the 1 1/2 hours, a stay at home mom might be willing or a retired person... and I'm sure that even multiplied by 10 could be gotten from the budget.
    I'm telling you all - if, G-d forbid there should ever be a tragedy of a school age or other person being killed or nearly run down - the laws of the road would be IMMEDIATELY enforced. It's horrible to think is should even remotely follow such a senario. Be pro-active, with the property taxes we are paying - some of these requests are teeny-tiny nothings. Hope

Default Calls have been placed....

FYI.... I called the Highway Department and was told that they do not have the authority to place "crosswalk signage" unless instructed to do so by the Police department. I then left a voice mail with Chief Irving on Tuesday morning. It has yet to be answered.

Wink yes - the squeaky wheel gig... or little happens

To The Old Wayland:

See, this is where I start getting a bit crazed... ok, you called Chief Irving... even if you hear today or Monday... over the weekend maybe e-mail him either thanking him - or whichever, reiterating the situation AND cc the Selectman, the Boards that oversee Highway / signage, et al. Be specific about requests... signage, where: brightest color, big letters... AND immediate ENFORCEMENT by the police at the locale - streets. I know a fair amount of places the police 'sit in wait' ... some are the easy ones to ticket the folks driving through from one town to the next. Instead of sitting at the 'easy target areas to ticket'... maybe they can go/hide at the AM time of kids going to school/bus stop and the PM or late morning time when they are released/walk and/or drop-off by bus from school.
    I had the MPH machine placed up a few blocks north of us on the 27 S area by the Aqueduct near Dudley St. It took a few weeks from my request on-line - Police page. It was after they got the second machine working. There IS a list to have your request for the MPH machine placed at a certain street/ intersection. There are two machines, as of last year for ALL of Wayland. Of course having the police there then will not get the ones who just fly by... they'll maybe have time to slow down. But maybe a combination of things will help. Keep up the good work and pressure... yes, it is all about the squeaky wheel thing. It's not about being angry, maybe frustrated with concern for your kids... and it's your right. This is what we commonly refer to as a PUBLIC SERVICE. It should not be an imposition to any of them ... it is what they are all there for - to serve the citizens when reasonable requests are put before them. yes???? hope

Default driving

First of all I want to state that I am not a member of the Wayland PD.
    But, I am in law enforcement and I agree with some of the suggestions that were suggested here to increase pedestrian safety, especially signage and better marking of the crosswalks.

But, it really boils down to this. The motorist on our roads need to obey the traffic laws. Period. You know, the basic ones that have been around for ages.
    Like:

A STOP sign: Means STOP! Not a rolling stop and then I went when I saw that it was clear.

Red Light: Most common violation, yet I thought it the most basic and easiest to follow. If it is red when you're going through the intersection , you are in violation. But, what it the light was yellow as I approached the intersection? See below.

Yellow Light: Means stop if it is safe to do so. It is not a light to see if you can beat the red.

Speed Limit: 40 mph is 40 mph, 30 mph is 30 mph and so on. There is no, "I thought you could drive 10mph over the limit w/o getting pulled over."

These are just a few of the common violations that occur

Now, how do we change the motorist driving attitude/habits so that the roads are safer?
    "Have the police do something about it! Thats what they're there for! I pay thousands of dollars in taxes and I don't think it's too much to ask for."

Is the easiest and most popular response. Traffic enforcement is part of the solution. Stricter enforcement does reduce the amount of violations, but it is a temporary and location specific solution. Violations will occur in other parts of the town for the same offense. Resources are limited to higher priority calls and manpower.

The concerns here are very valid and should be addressed. We all want Wayland to be a safe town to walk and drive in, but it all starts with our attitude toward operating our car. I don't care if you have been driving for 50 years or 50 hours, you can drive better and more courteous.

Now, my question to all of you is:

What is a better way to change a persons driving habits?
    A citation with a money fine or a warning?

As far as the where are "traffic barrels", my guess is that they remove them in the winter time because they will get whacked by the snow plows.

I agree that most drivers could use a 'refresher' course on the basics of our traffic laws. But, regarding the Charena Road crosswalk, what law are they really violating if they cross through an intersection that is without a 'Stop for Pedestrians' sign or without a clearly painted crosswalk? The law would be a lot more enforceable if a sign actually were there. What would an officer say to a motorist that he pulled over for going through the crosswalk? "hey, didn't you know that a 'Stop for Pedestrians' sign is supposed to be at that crosswalk?" I think having the sign in the crosswalk would definitely make drivers more aware of the law and more alert to the presence of 'walkers' trying to cross.

As for the signs being taken down during winter so that they are not hit by plows. This may be a valid excuse. However, there has been no sign for the past several years regardless of the season.

There is a slight curve on this stretch of road when driving east to west and I can recall many accidents where cars were unable to negotiate the curve and they either hit the telephone pole at Charena or the trees in front of 242 Old Connecticut Path. Placing a sign here would not only make it safer for the 'walkers' but safer for the drivers as well because drivers usually slow down when they see that bright yellow and orange 'traffic barrel' in the middle of the road. This intersection will never be safe unless the Police, Highway Dept and motorists work together to make it safe.

P.S. I still have not received a response from the chief regarding the call I placed to him 8 days ago.

The more I read my own post I'm beginning to pick up what sounds like negative tones from me towards the Police Dept. Let me say that I hold the Wayland Police Department in the highest regard. I, and my family, have always felt very safe in our community and any dealings that we've had with the police over the years have been dealt with in a respectful and professional manner. I just feel that in this case they need to 'step up' and make something happen to improve the safety of pedestrians at this dangerous stretch of road.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldWayland
    I agree that most drivers could use a 'refresher' course on the basics of our traffic laws. But, regarding the Charena Road crosswalk, what law are they really violating if they cross through an intersection that is without a 'Stop for Pedestrians' sign or without a clearly painted crosswalk? The law would be a lot more enforceable if a sign actually were there. What would an officer say to a motorist that he pulled over for going through the crosswalk?
    It does not need to be posted to be enforced nor does it weaken the citation. Failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk is a $200 fine.

Would having the signs make the crosswalk safer? Maybe. It might heighten the awareness of the operator, but it is not necessary for proper enforcement.

Having signs remind drivers all the various rules of the road can become a very expensive proposition not to mention unsightly. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the operator to be knowledgeable of the traffic laws. Ignorance is no excuse.

But, I agree with you 100% that certain places could use more signage to make it safer for the motorist and pedestrains.

Also it is true that we all have to work together to make the roads safer, but to be honest with you, I haven't seen any improvement with the way people drive. In fact, I think it has been worse with rise in cell phone use and with budget constraints associated with highway maintanance and improvement.

Concerning the crossing guards. I think they're good thing to have IF you can find people willing to do it AND if it is in the town's budget.

Default Heaven forbid you want to walk your dog!

Just to chime in here...

My street doesn't have sidewalks. It's a small narrow winding street. Great fun, apparently, to drive along at high speed, even though it's strictly residential (and dead end!). It is harrowing to walk along.

I have a blind dog I take for walks each day. I have to be his eyes and keep him out of trouble. Every time a car zooms past at high speed, I have to yank him (and me) into the shrubbery just to make sure we aren't run over! And these folks are my neighbors... what are they thinking?

Oh, and when it snows the plows only clear out a narrow little strip down the middle of the street. I've had to give up on going for walks on those days. When there are huge walls of snow on either side, there's just no place to jump to!

It's no wonder everyone drives their kids to school these days. Walking is downright dangerous!

Barbara