Thread: T-Mobile application for more cell towers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default T-Mobile application for more cell towers

T-Mobile applied to put up 3 cell towers in Wayland, one at a Rod and Gun club which is right next to a park kids play in - there are kids baseball games and practices there every evening. The other two were going to be in a nursing home and a church. The Zoning Board was treating all 3 towers as one application. Last night, in front of lot of angry and very concerned residents of Wayland as well as consultants paid by T-Mobile to discuss RF issues and lawyers from T-Mobile, the Zoning Board denied the application. They denied it because they had continually asked T-Mobile (OmniPoint Communications) to provide funds to the Zoning Board so they could do due diligence on the issue, but T-Mobile had not paid them and would not until they knew where the money was going. The Zoning Board chastised T-Mobile for not complying, and trying to influence where the Zoning Board spent the money. They said that T-Mobile had no right to negotiate how the Zoning Board conducted their investigation or which experts to hire. T-Mobile's lawyers spoke and at one point said something disrespectful to the Zoning Board members. The Zoning board voted 4-1 to deny the application. The one disssenting vote wanted to deny it, but felt that T-Mobile should be given more time to pony up the cash, citing fear of lawsuits. The others felt they already were given adequate time, and T-Mobile wasn't complying so the fault was theirs and not the towns.

Default So now what?

OK, so T-Mobile wants more towers. That's fine with me, but I'm really more interested in where the tower that has already been approved is. Is there anyone out there who knows when Cingular will go online??

Quote Originally Posted by Compudad9 View Post
    T-Mobile applied to put up 3 cell towers in Wayland, one at a Rod and Gun club which is right next to a park kids play in - there are kids baseball games and practices there every evening. The other two were going to be in a nursing home and a church. The Zoning Board was treating all 3 towers as one application. Last night, in front of lot of angry and very concerned residents of Wayland as well as consultants paid by T-Mobile to discuss RF issues and lawyers from T-Mobile, the Zoning Board denied the application. They denied it because they had continually asked T-Mobile (OmniPoint Communications) to provide funds to the Zoning Board so they could do due diligence on the issue, but T-Mobile had not paid them and would not until they knew where the money was going. The Zoning Board chastised T-Mobile for not complying, and trying to influence where the Zoning Board spent the money. They said that T-Mobile had no right to negotiate how the Zoning Board conducted their investigation or which experts to hire. T-Mobile's lawyers spoke and at one point said something disrespectful to the Zoning Board members. The Zoning board voted 4-1 to deny the application. The one disssenting vote wanted to deny it, but felt that T-Mobile should be given more time to pony up the cash, citing fear of lawsuits. The others felt they already were given adequate time, and T-Mobile wasn't complying so the fault was theirs and not the towns.
    This is about correct. In specific, OmniPoint had recommended a particular advisor to the town, and at some point had claimed that they "knew the advisor very well", but still requested some analysis from the town. The stupidity came from both sides; the town didn't provide OmniPoint with the "three things" that they requested (I believe they wanted the name of the guy, the scope of the guy's investigations, and a cost estimate), and OmniPoint wouldn't just pay the $20,000 that the town told them it would cost.

Evidently there has been a history of OmniPoint dragging its feet, though, and that this was just the culmination of OmniPoint taking forever to meet its obligations. The Zoning Board was evidently "offended" that OmniPoint had caused a significant number of Wayland residents (and the zoning board itself) to waste time coming to the hearing that day, and made that abundantly clear.

I believe that the zoning board did not vote to treat them all as one application until the end, when they voted to deny them all.

Please let it be known, though, that neither the RF engineer who spoke against any health effects of towers nor myself (the student who spoke in favor of the tower) were paid directly or indirectly by T-Mobile or OmniPoint, nor did either of us have any financial interest in either company. In my case, I spoke solely on a scientific basis.

I, too, was offended that OmniPoint had wasted my time; I came to speak on the same side as they were on, and they failed to even treat the town in a courteous manner.

If anyone is interested in a more complete form of what I intended to say at the hearing, I would be happy to post it here.