Thread: Time to buy a VPN app - particularly if you use a computer or phone for business

Default Time to buy a VPN app - particularly if you use a computer or phone for business

Protect Your Privacy With a VPN App

The Senate voted last week to roll back the protection that the FCC added in 2016 -- banning ISPs from harvesting and selling all of your Web browsing data.

If you have ever worried about all of the data that Google and Facebook collect and sell, now is the time to be very concerned about your privacy -- particularly if you use your computer for business, personal health care information etc. Your ISP (Internet Service Provider), e.g. Verizon, AT&T and Comcast, can capture a much larger range of data than Google or Facebook. ISPs can store and analyze everything you do on the Web: every site you visit, emails, links and purchases. This includes your computer, tablet and cell phone.

The VPN app automatically encrypts all of your data and sends it to the internet via a secure VPN server -- hidden from prying eyes. Your ISP and others cannot capture and mine your data en route.

A VPN also provides essential protection when you travel and use WiFi in flight, at hotels, airports etc. These public WiFi connections are notoriously insecure.

Here is my recommendation: NordVPN. Nord covers Window and Mac, plus iOS and Android cell phones and tablets. See: https://nordvpn.com/special/2y-deal/

Here is their privacy policy: https://nordvpn.com/privacy-policy/

Nord and similar VPN services are easy to use. You simply install the VPN software -- and continue to connect to the internet like you did before. No changes are required to your Web browser or email app. The VPN app encrypts all of your data en route to the VPN server, so no one can harvest it. Nord also allows you to pick a VPN server in another country, if you want to be particularly careful.

Let me know if you have any questions: MarkAllenHays@Gmail.com

Default If you need more info to be convinced that a VPN is a good idea - read this

If all of the stories about companies that mine and sell your online data are not enough, attached is a great overview of internet privacy problems -- with real world examples.

I hope this is convincing. Yes, you really do need to pay for a VPN app for your computer, tablet and cell phone, particularly if you travel for business or exchange confidential data.

Mark Hays

Technology-offers-convenience-privacy-pays-the-price.pdf