Thread: Have You Heard About the Huge Development at the Mahoney Garden Center Site?

Default Have You Heard About the Huge Development at the Mahoney Garden Center Site?

Have you heard about the ‘Mahoney Monster’?

A developer is planning to build a large apartment house on the Mahoney’s Garden Center site at 115 Boston Post Road. How big, you ask? 89 bedrooms and four stories tall! That’s right. A large development on Route 20 next to Temple Shir Tikva, the Islamic Center of Boston, Carriage House, Camp Chickami – and many Wayland homes.

The key problems:

• Too big: 89, 79, 69, 59, 49, 39, 29 or 19 bedrooms and 3 or 4 stories are simply too large for our neighborhood. More units = more profits in this developer’s pocket, pure and simple.

• Traffic, traffic, traffic: With Prime131 Grill, Temple Shir Tikva, the Islamic Center, Carriage House and Camp Chickami next door, we already have concentrated traffic jams on weekends, holidays and event days. Plus stop-n-go every morning and evening. If you drive Route 20, you will be affected. If you live near it, even worse.

• Lose the value of your home: If you live near this big development, do you think it will improve or degrade the value of your home? Do you live on Boston Post Road, Pinebrook Road, Rich Valley Road, Sylvan Way, Hayward Road, White Road, Lundy Lane, Springhill Road, Lee Road, Wheelock Road, Dairy Farm Lane or Glover Road? What will this do to your neighborhood?

• Too much sewage: Think about up to 99+ toilets concentrated next to Pine Brook. If you live in Wayland, your home has one septic field. Need we say more? Pine Brook is one of only two cold water streams in Wayland, and connects directly to the Sudbury River and the Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.

• Do you want Wayland to look like Route 9 in Framingham? Or do you want to preserve Wayland’s low density and quality of life? This developer, Steven Zeiff, said that he prefers concrete construction. Here is one of his projects in Milford: "Robsham Village":

Name:  Robsham Village - Milford - view of planned building - 600 x 254.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  31.2 KB

• Too much water: Wayland’s water supply has been declining for the past five years. You have seen “Mandatory Water Ban” signs every summer. Two of Wayland’s wells ran completely dry in the summer of 2015. Our high, low and average levels are all declining.

The latest news:

14 February: We met the developer, Steven Zeiff, at the Wayland Housing Partnership committee meeting. Zeiff confirmed that he plans to submit a 40B “comprehensive application” in 60 to 90 days for a large development with 89 bedrooms and 10,000 gallons of sewage per day. This app will go directly to the Wayland Zoning Board of Appeals, following the rapid schedule mandated by Massachusetts 40B regulations. So we need to be prepared.

16 February: Zeiff met with the Conservation Commission, which emphasized the importance of Pine Brook and the 100’ wetlands setback required by Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection regulations. The Commission cannot ask specific questions, however, until Zieff submits his full plan.

What you can do:

1. Let’s join together, knock down this crazy project and protect our neighborhoods. Please contact us: StopWreckingWayland@Gmail.com and visit StopWreckingWayland.org (Our new website will be up soon!)
    We also have a Facebook group thanks to Kristen FitzPatrick:

2. Send letters to the Wayland Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Housing Partnership, Conservation Commission and Board of Selectmen: Simple ‘old style’ letters are very effective and become part of the legal public record. Here is the address: (Board name), Wayland Town Building, 41 Cochituate Road, Wayland MA 01778

3. Send letters to the Wayland Town Crier and the Patch: Our local newspapers cover Town issues and should welcome your letters. For the Crier, contact Michael Wyner: mwyner@wickedlocal.com and for the Patch: Tips@Patch.com

4. Put a sign on your lawn: Our “Mahoney Monster” signs are ready. This is an effective way to advertise our concerns and build support, just like a political campaign. Let us know if you would like one; just email StopWreckingWayland@Gmail.com

Who we are:

A bunch of your neighbors who live near the Monster development, including in no particular order:

• Kerry-Ann and Brent Kendall

• Stewart Smith and Kim Woods

• Tom Nuspl

• Kevin & Kristen FitzPatrick

• Marie Winter

• Rita and Richard Tse

• Mark and Nadine Hays

• Peter and Sue Keller

• Tonya and Rick Peck

• Michelle Leinbach and Rob Travis

• Jasmine and Jim Newland

• David and Emily Weinshel

• Tom and Lee Raymond

• Christopher and Katie Riffle

• Joseph and Laura Schwendt

• Jeanne and Wayne Robison

Letters are effective, but even more effective is showing up in person and making public comment. Be there, and let them know how you feel.

But when you do comment, whether it's in person or via mail (or email, which is just as good as "old style" and will also be put into the record), remember that the board members are your neighbors, and that they do care. They are almost certainly on our side, and don't want to let this ridiculous plan go through as proposed. So share your thoughts, and share your information (if you have information you think they may not know, absolutely share it with them! but don't assume they don't know or don't care - it's just condescending and disrespectful and doesn't help your cause).

Dear Kim: I agree -- it will be very important to appear in person at the upcoming Zoning Board of Appeals and Conservation Commission meetings. Our previous letters asked Wayland neighbors to attend meetings in February with the Wayland Conservation Commission and Housing Partnership committee. No new meetings / hearings have been scheduled, however, because the developer has not submitted his complete 40B application. In the mean time, letters are the best way to let Wayland boards and committees know how you feel about this very large development. Letters also become part of the legal record.

The Town Crier has not published a shorty about this 40B development, probably because the final application has not been submitted. That is why I asked, "Have you heard about the Mahoney Monster?" I assumed that many people in other parts of Wayland had not. My apologies if anyone felt that this was condescending or disrespectful. This post was intended to be helpful.

Mark Hays

Mark,

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to imply that you were being disrespectful or condescending here at all. I appreciate your details on the development, some of which I knew, and some of which I didn't. It's really helpful.

My comments were more generic advice about talking to boards. I do find that sometimes people just assume the board members don't agree with them, and that is how they frame their remarks - so they can come off as more aggressive than perhaps they intend.

As you note, letters are definitely useful. But if you can speak in person, it often does have more impact. The issue you care about doesn't need to be on their agenda for you to talk about in public comment. But with most boards, they won't respond to your comments right then, especially if the item isn't on their agenda (and in fact, they shouldn't, as they could end up violating Open Meeting Law). So if you don't get a response, don't feel that they don't care, or aren't listening.

Keep updating this as you learn more. I'll try to attend next relevant meeting.