Thread: Park And Rec Will Not maintain Millpond This Year

Angry Park And Rec Will Not maintain Millpond This Year

I don;t know what their problem is but it appears that they are a very poorly run department .I used to work for park and rec before i went in to the military and i walked many miles behind a snowblower on that pond that is a great assett to the town for the kids and families to enjoy them selves .Thi is a safety hazard not having them check the ice thickness on a daily basis when someone drowns down there may be they will wake up .That is not the only thing they are maintaining the veterans memorial at the town bldg they will not touch it if the school system a truck load of paper it would be here like yesterday .but the veterans who fought and and lost their lives for this country to make it free can,t get the walks shoveled or the gardens weeded
    my thanks go out the beautification committee for stepping forward to help us and to their summer intern Jeff Buckle who fit it into his very tight schedule to water it for us Thanks to you for helping us if park and rec did their job we would not have to shovel our own skating pond lets get with it park and rec provide the services that you are supposed to and what the tax payers pay you for if you can,t do it move on

I'm not sure I blame the folks at Park & Rec, because I can't claim to know all the reasoning behind the decision. That said, I am really sad that the town has lost (or is about to lose) two of our recreational facilities (Mill Pond for skating, and the Town Pool for swimming in a few months).

I wonder what, if anything, could be done to reverse this decision. I'm wondering how much disappointment there is in town over this.

Default Short term vs. Long term

This may not be a popular position, but we've got some serious financial problems in town right now that take precedence over things like Town Pools and Mill Pond. When there's talk about closing elementary schools and eliminating sports and music programs, I'm really not interested in spending money on things like pools and ponds. Before we can address the nice-to-haves, we need to fix the must-haves. If there are safety issues with ice thickness on the pond, I suggest we permanently close the pond (and the pool) until we have our important issues in check.

Alternatively, if there's no objections on arbitrarily high taxes, then we could pass an override large enough to accomodate everything that every special interest group wants. I suspect that this isn't an option, so let's stay focused on what really matters.

Point well taken. Especially as regards the pool. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much cost there really is associated with maintaining the pond.

Angry Millpond

The cost would be very little .The reason for this action is that they can,t plow it with a truck well thats why there are snowblowers and shovels

Exclamation millpond

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt
    I'm not sure I blame the folks at Park & Rec, because I can't claim to know all the reasoning behind the decision. That said, I am really sad that the town has lost (or is about to lose) two of our recreational facilities (Mill Pond for skating, and the Town Pool for swimming in a few months).

I wonder what, if anything, could be done to reverse this decision. I'm wondering how much disappointment there is in town over this.
    I am sure there is alot of people in that are upset about this and it is a shame to see this happening there is a group of people who are trying to raise money to build a community center .that would house a pool and the cable station and a place for the kids to hang out .when i was at wayland high in the 60s we had canteen at at happy hollow school on fridays .Yes it very dissappointing to see these things happen i for one am upset with it
    i think part of the problem is that the town has stiff competition with the two health clubs in the area Bosse and longfellow they both have pools skating rinks i am not sure of i think longfellow in Natick does

Default Private funding sounds like the right way to go

If these are things that "a lot of people" want, then it should be no problem to raise money outside of Wayland tax dollars to support them. I highly encourage you to do this, and leave the tax dollars to schools, fire, police, and road maintenance -- these are the services that we cannot live without and should be fully funded before considering anything else.

Question pools etc

I agree that the town should emphasize spending on schools, fire/police, etc., first. I just wonder how it is that Wayland (where we pay a healthy amount of taxes) cannot seem to keep up with towns that immediately surround us who have similar wealth and seem to be able to have updated schools, excellent police/fire AND community centers. I was extremely upset when I heard the pool was going and would definitely support a privately funded community center for our town - we need something central where the kids can congregate for fun and activity and the adults can exercise or socialize that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (like Longfellow). This center would have to be supported widely, however, and because it would be competing with already established facilities, finding this support will be a big challenge.

Angry Everyones viewpoint is valid... let's be considerate.

Rosenblatt - I believe this attitude of 'one or the other' is forgetting about the vital importance of quality of life issues. This attitude of presuming one hard and fast reponse to everyone's issues that are not yours while minimizing theirs is, (as you say), unhelpful. You have made your point of interest in where you want the H.S., how YOU want responses only that involve quantitative figures, no other opinions. I find it rather off putting personally. Every person is absolutely entitled to their views and should not be shot down because it does not fit your particular viewpoint. By the by - there is a swim team - an athletic sport, and seniors who utilize the pool regularly, etc. Their concerns should not be dismissed under the guise of 'much bigger issues'. All sides and points of view need to be considered important. Our town is in need of much. Being locked into a singleness of one priority and tossing others aside will only make for contention amongst neighbors. There are ways and ways to say things, your parents and schools taught you that for a reason. An attitude of superiority is not going to win votes for your proposals. Hope P.

Quote Originally Posted by rosenblatt
    This may not be a popular position, but we've got some serious financial problems in town right now that take precedence over things like Town Pools and Mill Pond. When there's talk about closing elementary schools and eliminating sports and music programs, I'm really not interested in spending money on things like pools and ponds. Before we can address the nice-to-haves, we need to fix the must-haves. If there are safety issues with ice thickness on the pond, I suggest we permanently close the pond (and the pool) until we have our important issues in check.

Alternatively, if there's no objections on arbitrarily high taxes, then we could pass an override large enough to accomodate everything that every special interest group wants. I suspect that this isn't an option, so let's stay focused on what really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by hopegp
    Rosenblatt - I believe this attitude of 'one or the other' is forgetting about the vital importance of quality of life issues. This attitude of presuming one hard and fast reponse to everyone's issues that are not yours while minimizing theirs is, (as you say), unhelpful. You have made your point of interest in where you want the H.S., how YOU want responses only that involve quantitative figures, no other opinions. I find it rather off putting personally. Every person is absolutely entitled to their views and should not be shot down because it does not fit your particular viewpoint. By the by - there is a swim team - an athletic sport, and seniors who utilize the pool regularly, etc. Their concerns should not be dismissed under the guise of 'much bigger issues'. All sides and points of view need to be considered important. Our town is in need of much. Being locked into a singleness of one priority and tossing others aside will only make for contention amongst neighbors. There are ways and ways to say things, your parents and schools taught you that for a reason. An attitude of superiority is not going to win votes for your proposals. Hope P.
    OK Hope. Let's think about what you're saying here. I have the position that says that we need to focus on infrastructure before amenities. You seem to think that I "minimize" the other perspective. I have to respectfully disagree with your analysis. I realize that having amenities is nice, and that there are people who will take advantage of those amenities if they exist. That's not at all in conflict with the fact that there simply isn't enough money in the current budget to support it all. We have choices to make as a town. We can fund "A" or "B", but not both. Why you think this makes it sound like I'm taking a position of "superiority" is a mystery to me, but you (as you say) are entitled to your opinion. My note on the HS placement was posed as a suggestion with supporting information. If you noticed, I also asked for other opinions and inputs on the subject. Again, I apologize if you don't like my phrasing, but writing and speaking are very different methods of communicating, and it's very difficult to get tone across in the written word. If it were me, I'd double everyone's taxes and do everything that everyone wants to do. This is not reality, so we must focus on the essentials. Remember, Hope, having a debate means putting your ideas forward with evidence and data, and I welcome all inputs.

Default propose proposal(s) for many types of laypersons

Rosenblatt-
    I'll give you that the written word and spoken word come across differently - one offers body language - the other a series of circles with frowns, smiles, angst, etc. - which is mildly inadequate at best.
    We have this town of 13,000 people... a mix of the old old timers, the old timers, the younger long time Wayland residents, they may or may not be living on a fixed income - but have a 'belief' held near and dear of how Wayland should be, as do families that have lived and prospered over the years. A number choose to send their kids to fine private schools. Still others who have considerable wealth live by the creed that a Public School Education is vital to the strength of our overall society. Some folks live here that have been here for fifteen years (or how many ever) and actually, albeit hard to imagine, live from paycheck to paycheck sacrificing so much just so their kids can go to the Wayland schools. I'm sure there are a myriad of other situations that exist here that I have not included in the mix.

What I am trying to point out and I hope it is coming across, is that it isn't so simple to win votes or influence people by living in a bubble assuming others follow ELABORATE proposals. Many will IMMEDIATELY turn off because it is way way complicated and/or others who simply cannot, and/or will not pay more taxes - even if the powers that be 'claimed' that would not be the case with the new town center. Generally speaking folks can understand and learn a great many facts and figures... but if a standing 'belief system' holds them to a particular way of thinking, you could talk and put up flow charts till the cows come home and you are NOT going to win them over. Others might be interested - read that again, but are NOT ECONOMISTS, ACCOUNTANTS, MBA's, FINANCIAL WIZARDS, and have never lived in that realm of sophisticated #'s, zoning, this vs. that, etc. Don't assume they are not bright enough to get it - but maybe it has not be laid out in a manner user friendly - remember they ALL vote some way.

Evidence and data alone does not hold water for those who live by a much different creed, that has little or nothing to do with DATA. I'm only elaborating on this because 'groups of people' exist in a variety of sub-communities that are not interested in a new H.S., for any # of reasons, the least of which is they simply do NOT have any more money, cannot receive property tax credit, have long since been without kids. That is only a couple of the sets of the population.

How 'bout those who feel that Romney should not give tax cuts to and get more money to the municipalities across the Commonwealth... or that the President of the U.S. should not use the guise of not needing more government so give a tax cut when that money should be trickling down to the States and then cities and towns to actually help communities survive and prosper.

It isn't cut and dry simply put... unless, and it is even questionable if that will cut it... a proposal(s) can be laid out in a series of way that does not intimidate folks or anger them ... the H.S. is going to be closed because of health and safety violations and Happy Hollow will be but a mere memory. Sometimes strategizing about HOW to present information for many different populations is worth the time, the effort to see any meaningful results. It's no guarantee, but it is not just evidence and data. Hope