Thread: Scam targeting Wayland high school seniors and college freshmen

Default Scam targeting Wayland high school seniors and college freshmen

Scam Targets Wayland Seniors -- Watch Out!

Our son just received a strange "job offer" letter from a company called "Vector", promising "an important opportunity for students in your area." An anonymized PDF copy is attached to this post.

The promises in this letter looked too-good-to-be-true, so I checked a few sources. It turns out this is a well-known 'multi-level marketing' scam, typically targeting students graduating from high school and college freshmen. Cutco Cutlery is the company behind "Vector Marketing".

Here is the best summary from a knife industry site:

www.knifeup.com/cutco-knives-and-vector-marketing-is-a-scam

This Knifeup article includes a screen cap showing how Vector / Cutco also purchased a bunch of URLs and created websites that will pop up in Google if you search for "Vector Marketing scam". For example: www.vectormarketingscam.com The internet is bad news for scams like these, and Vector / Cutco is cleverly using the Web to confuse and muddy the water.

I don't know how Vector / Cutco obtained our son's name and mailing address, but it would be a good idea to notify every graduating WHS senior and their family.

I hope this is helpful.

Mark Hays
    Attached Images Attached Images

You know, there are a ton of scams out there. So many in fact, that everyone has become hyper sensitive to anything that even sniffs a bit like one.

Personally, I have no axe to grind either way, but I do have some personal experience with the Cutco products. Around 5 or so years ago, a friend of my son (Wayland High School graduate) asked if he could come to our house to "practice" his sales pitch. I knew full well that he wasn't practicing, but he was a nice kid, and I told him to come along. He did his little pitch, and I was genuinely impressed (not an easy thing to do). I bought a set of knives replacing the Henckels (sp?) set that I had used for years. The weighting of the Cutco is superior, and the edge that it holds was (and is) much better. The biggest problem I have with the Cutco blades is that it's way too easy to slice your finger on them because they are so sharp.

Anyways, I don't want this to turn into a sales pitch for Cutco, but I do want to say that every person at Cutco I've ever dealt with has been extremely polite and professional, and they ABSOLUTELY stand behind their products - no questions asked. My brother came over and decided to use the paring knife as a way to open a bottle and managed to snap the blade in half. I returned the knife and received a free replacement in the mail 10 days later. They will come to your house to sharpen your knives (yes, they try to sell you more knives, but it's low to no pressure, and they are really friendly and polite), and quite frankly I'm extremely happy with the company and the product.

So, my point here is that there are worse companies out there you could work for (Amway for instance), and as a college kid trying to make a few bucks and learn how to work with people, it's not a bad way to do it. Scam? Maybe to some, but not to me.

Good luck and enjoy the summer.

Default Vector / Cutco

Dear Carl:

Thanks for your message. Did you read the KnifeUp.com website, however -- and Google the many stories posted by high school / college students and their families? Here are a few:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/emplo...marketing.html

... and a good overview of the Company from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Vector_Marketing

The key problem is their multi-level marketing model. Each 'salesperson' can hire more, and they are all "independent contractors". So when a new hire isn't paid, Vector / Cutco can say, "That's not my problem! An independent contractor hired that student!"

The claims behind the product are also over-the-top. Amazingly sharp?!! Of course new 'demo' knives are very sharp. There is no magic, however, in stainless steel. You can buy the same quality for 10% of the price at Walmart. This is the heart of the scam: convincing gullible students to sell 'magic knives' to their family and friends.

Mark

Yeah - I can't really comment on the sales model, but my son's friend seemed to be doing well (data point of one). As a general rule, MLM's are good for the people who start them, and no one else, so I agree that if that's how they do it, it's probably not worth getting involved. As for the knives, I've had my set for years, and they still look brand new, and cut better than any knife I've ever used (and I've used quite a few fairly expensive knives). That's a good argument for being a customer, not for being a salesguy though!