Thread: The Saga Of The Landfill Goes On And On

Default The Saga Of The Landfill Goes On And On

Things never change at the landfill after spending a lot of money on legal fees.And paying the former supervisor to stay home with benifits .I makes me wonder if i worked for the wrong company when i was working .I don;t use the landfill but for the folks that do .it is un fair to charge them on the type of vehicle they are driving Trash is Trash who cares how it gets there.The meeting other night was to be a time for residents to air their feelings about the changes in policy of the landfill which they did for 30 minutes with no board dialog afterwards .that is in my opinion a dirty trick on the boards part
    they should have had some disscussion afterwards And where was the adminstrator isn;t he responsable for the day to day operation of town services which i believe the landfill is a service this sounds like open minds deaf ears if you don;t like it leave that is not the way to treat citizens who pay their taxes what are we doing here the board of is in my opinion operating in a vacum and what a crock we must meet with the fincom the fin com does not set the rates the Boh does and they can recind them it seems like are being run by ametures which makes the towmns goverment look stupid .if this was a school issue it wouyld have been resolved that night
    by adjusting the fees .Frankly i am tired of reading about the landfill ether fix the problem or close it and out source it.
    Richard P Turner

Default Pay as you throw

Personally, I think the best solution to the extra charge issue is to switch to "pay as you throw" - that would make it clear that those who use the landfill most pay the most. It would also encourage the sort of behavior we want to move people toward, and extend the life of our landfill. I know this isn't something that's going to happen by July 31, but perhaps it's something we could move to next year. It seems there are two issues here -- first, what to do about about the immediate fees, and second, what to do in the longer term.

As for the wastewood ban, we simply can't be maximizing value to the town by making individuals find their own source of wood disposal. I'm not sure how suggest they structure the charges, but it simply has to be cheaper (and it would obviously be more convenient) to do it bulk as a town than to handle it as indiviudals.

I'd love some feedback -- what do people think of "pay as you throw"?
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 07-24-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Default Pay as you throw

That is an option many towns are doing that with bags that you purchase it will save land fill space as for wood collection that could be done the same way by volume the current landfill has about three years left on it and after that it will have to converted to a transfer station which it is already configured to do
    Richard P Turner