View Poll Results: Was this security alert helpful?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very

0 0%
  • Some

0 0%
  • A little

0 0%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Why are digital security upgrades so urgent?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why are digital security upgrades so urgent?

Why are Wayland security upgrades so urgent?

9 May, 2015

To: Wayland families, residents, teachers and employees

Cell: 508.661.9733
    Email: MarkAllenHays@Gmail.com (best bet)

You may be wondering why I have been pushing for digital security upgrades. Why is this technical problem so urgent for the average Wayland family, teacher and employee?

The answer is simple: Wayland has massive and urgent security issues – but Wayland's bureaucracy has been moving at a very slow, bureaucratic pace. Cybercriminals do not suffer from the same delays. When they find a weak target, they attack. A document is attached to this post that explains how quickly automated cyber attacks work.

It has been more than two months since cybercriminals broke into the Wayland Treasurer’s office -- twice. None of the major problems have been fixed, however. Wayland’s computers, network and data are still very vulnerable -- including your data. There was no need to wait. Fixes should have been installed immediately. Going forward, Wayland needs to respond rapidly and effectively to crises like this.

Unfortunately, this is not a new problem. I began warning Wayland IT management two and a half years ago about major security issues. Very little was done, however. One of the gaps I told them to fix in 2012 led to the breaches in 2015.

The dismal security of the Wayland / School network is a personal issue for our family and yours. Our son’s confidential school records should not be vulnerable to hackers, nor any Wayland child’s. We should not need to replace our credit cards, because our son purchased a few things online with his high school laptop. Our tax and identity records are also at risk.

You should not have to worry about these risks either.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mark Hays
    Attached Images Attached Images