Developments at WayCAM

The following update of developments at WayCAM was submitted by WayCAM president Ken Isaacson:

In an earlier letter I promised to write you at various times, to keep you abreast of WayCAM developments. As the new year begins, we already have much to report.

Item #1. We have a brand new capability to broadcast live WHS sports, thanks to the new wireless portable camera equipment we just purchased, mainly for this purpose. Also, thanks to the dedicated group of WHS cable students who produce these events. More info is available at www.waycam.tv .

Item #2. The Town of Wayland has begun negotiations with Comcast to renew their license with the Town which expires in September 2010. We have been in informal talks since about June, and the process is progressing. As you know, we completed a new licensing agreement with Verizon in January 2008.

Item #3. As a result of restrictions by the Massachusetts High School Building Authority, when the new Wayland High School is built, there will not be a place for the WayCAM studio in the new high school. The Selectmen have established a group to work with WayCAM, made up of pertinent boards and town officials and staff, to evaluate options for where WayCAM could move. To date WayCAM staff has investigated the basement of the Town Pool which is due for major renovation beginning March 2010; and the Modular Science Labs which are located adjacent to the Field House.  It is our hope that we can settle on one of these locations, preferably the Modulars, which will most certainly enable the uninterrupted continuation of WayCAM's very successful high school TV educational program. Other locations may be considered. I will keep you informed regarding progress.

Item #4. Jim Mullane our Program Director, and the WayCAM Board want to extend an invitation to any member or friend of WayCAM, and ANY citizen of Wayland, to make use of the WayCAM studio and equipment to create a show that you would like to bring to the community. One show or a series. That's what we're here for, and Jim is only too happy to answer any question and provide direction for anyone who's interested in checking this out. We have a wonderful studio and lots of state-of-the-art equipment at your disposal. It's your studio. You pay for it through your cable subscription. Try to take advantage of it.

Item #5. Volunteers Needed. It's a common problem for PEG community TV stations. Lots of meetings and community programs to cover. Not enough Volunteers to operate the cameras. We really could use some help from Volunteers to cover the requests coming in from various organizations. It's really a fun thing to do, and you'll learn a lot in the process. That's how I got started, and so many others over the years. You can choose how often. If you would like to consider it, please contact Jim Mullane, 508 358-5006; jim@waycam.tv

Thank you for taking the time to update yourself about WayCAM. Please contact me if you have any questions or ideas for WayCAM, and best wishes for the new year.
Share:

Leave a Reply (full real name required)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *