Thread: Reporting on vote for First Parish renovations

Default Reporting on vote for First Parish renovations

Why do you think Wayland E-News found it necessary to say that voters disagreed with this article and then voted to approve it ? Voters disagreed with most of the articles but this was not reported. Hmm---

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Heller View Post
    Why do you think Wayland E-News found it necessary to say that voters disagreed with this article and then voted to approve it ? Voters disagreed with most of the articles but this was not reported. Hmm---
    Jerry, we quote the first few sentences of articles after the link to the article itself. None of that was our text. The article to which you refer was published in the Wayland Town Crier here: http://wayland.wickedlocal.com/artic...NEWS/140418375

One place we did make a change (and this is one of the only times I can recall correcting a headline) was in the title to the story about leaving Minuteman - we did not vote to actually leave the Minuteman district, but rather to reject the Minuteman Agreement. We did also vote (in a non-binding resolution) to leave the district, but I thought the headline as it was would mislead readers into thinking that we had already opted to leave the district, which was not necessarily the intent of the article, and may not be the final result.

In contrast, though the article about First Parish was not covered the way I would have, at least it wasn't inaccurate.

Of course, I can't speak for Susan Wagner of Wicked Local Wayland/the Town Crier, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that her reason for noting the disagreement in her article had to do with the fact that some of the disagreement was on Constitutional/Separation of Church and State grounds. That type of disagreement, which she briefly notes later in the article, is uncommon at Town Meeting.