Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crier column by David Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Rosenblatt View Post
    Still nothing from you of any value. Let me try your approach:

No. You're wrong.

No. You're wrong.

No. You're wrong.

Ahhh. Much better.
    As every reader of this thread knows, I explained why you were wrong in each case. You haven't even attempted to refute those explanations.

Because it's like spitting in the wind. You are single minded, and right about everything, and quite frankly, I don't have the time, patience, or energy to debunk your myths. It's self evident that you don't know what you're talking about (yes, I know, I'm bluffing again), so why waste time proving it?

Because it's like spitting in the wind. You are single minded, and right about everything, and quite frankly, I don't have the time, patience, or energy to debunk your myths. It's self evident that you don't know what you're talking about (yes, I know, I'm bluffing again), so why waste time proving it?
    So you don't have time to explain how the Estonian week-long voting window and SIM card authentication techniques that you cited could be of practical use by Wayland for real-time internet voting from home, or how public key cryptography can be used to prevent denial-of-service attacks, or why hackers will ignore Wayland internet votes, eliminating the need for security measures?

Be serious. Any reader of this thread with even a "computing security 101" level of understanding can see through that.
    Last edited by DHBernstein; 04-24-2014 at 07:56 PM.

No. I don't have time for that. It's like arguing with a 3 year old! Fun for a while, but quite tiresome. I sure hope you're just pulling my chain (similarly to what I'm doing to you by the way) 'cause if you're serious, you have some issues. (By the way, DoS or DDoS are criminal acts where serious ones get the attention of the DOJ. Unclear why anyone would risk that for a crappy Wayland Town Hall vote. Any child knows that encryption doesn't help if you're getting pinged - except maybe you? In case you haven't figure it out, the Estonia reference was sarcasm, and you're the one who said we don't need security measures, not me - I'm just saying that none of them are perfect, and "good enough" is "good enough" for something as earthshaking as a Wayland town vote.)

No. I don't have time for that. It's like arguing with a 3 year old! Fun for a while, but quite tiresome. I sure hope you're just pulling my chain (similarly to what I'm doing to you by the way) 'cause if you're serious, you have some issues. (By the way, DoS or DDoS are criminal acts where serious ones get the attention of the DOJ. Unclear why anyone would risk that for a crappy Wayland Town Hall vote. Any child knows that encryption doesn't help if you're getting pinged - except maybe you? In case you haven't figure it out, the Estonia reference was sarcasm, and you're the one who said we don't need security measures, not me - I'm just saying that none of them are perfect, and "good enough" is "good enough" for something as earthshaking as a Wayland town vote.)
    You're "I've just been joking all along" ploy won't work.

Your Estonian example just became sarcasm, now that's it's become obvious to you that a week-long voting interval is of no use in real-time votes, and that Wayland can't afford to acquire SIM cards or require home voters to insert them into mobile phones.

Yes, DOS attacks are criminal, but there is no significant deterrence and attacks are on the rise. Anyone can rent an anonymous botnet for $100/day; given the short voting intervals in a "vote from home" scenario, tracking down an attacker would be even more difficult than usual.

As for who asserted that no security measures are necessary,

By the way, WHO CARES ENOUGH ABOUT WAYLAND'S RIDICULOUS TOWN HALL TO GO TO THE TROUBLE OF HACKING INTO A REMOTE VOTE?
    Quote Originally Posted by DHBernstein View Post
    You can wave you hands and claim that security and authentication are unnecessary, but taking that approach would cause knowledgeable residents of Wayland to publicly dismiss "voting from home" as a bad joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHBernstein View Post
    Without competent security and prevention of proxy voting, we won't gain the Moderator's support for a trial of "voting from home", much less support from the Massachusetts Elections Commission.
    And, OMG - we might not "gain the Moderator's support"? No big deal - just fire him and get someone else who will.
    You seem to forget that everything you've posted remains accessible.

You have WAAAAAAAAAY too much time on your hands! Go get yourself a frozen yogurt. AND - nothing in MY posts indicate that security is unnecessary. You inferred that, and then re-asserted it a million times so that it would appear as though it were true. That appears to be your MO - make sh*t up, repeat. OH - and I wasn't "joking". I was being sarcastic. Big difference. Sorry if you're too slow to get that.