Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wayland slammed in April Issue Boston Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Rosenblatt View Post
    Jeff - your words ring true around many of the posted accusations that have been made in John's various transparent accusations. Lots of generalizations, little evidence, and no examples. He's even gone so far as to put an anti-SOS link on his transparent website publicly smearing the intent and actions of the majority of Wayland residents (given the most recent election results, I feel comfortable stating that the SOS leanings are in fact "majority"). It's truly sad that Julie and John feel justified in tearing Wayland down by inferring that there are "mean girls" in town who make living here unpleasant. I don't know - I've been here for almost 20 years, put two kids through the public schools (one on track to be a lawyer, the other a doctor) and haven't felt the exclusion OR shame that Julie feels runs rampant here. Yes, I'm male, and yes, I work full time, but I do live here, and like John says, don't have to be a Mom to make observations. Oh well - chalk this one up to another "us vs. them" controversy I guess.
    Carl, I don't think Julie thinks it "runs rampant". Everywhere you go, you'll find people who are unkind, so running across a few anywhere should be no surprise. But she certainly doesn't see it as the majority.

From the article: (my emphasis)

Quote Originally Posted by from Boston Magazine Article
    Close friends of ours who are considering a move from the South End with their one-year-old daughter are understandably hesitant after hearing the topic of this article. “I already see hints of that in my neighborhood,” Jenn says. “Do I really want to deal with it in the suburbs?” I assure her that the majority of women I know are not like that. And really, aren’t we going to outgrow such juvenile behavior anyway? I’ve taken comfort in that thought…or at least I did until a few weeks ago, when a friend sent me a New York Times article titled, “Mean Girls in Assisted Living.”
    As I saw posted on Wayland Transparency, quoting Winston Churchill: "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something in your life." We aren't all going to be friends with everyone.

"Enemies" goes a little far, I'd much rather not have those - though sometimes when, as John notes, you stand up for things, it's hard to avoid. I don't think I know anybody that everybody likes, or, for that matter, anybody who likes everyone. I know plenty of nice people, and a few I'm not so crazy about. I'm friends with many of the former, and the latter - not so much. And that's just part of life.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 04-14-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: to fix typo

I find it sadly ironic that the divide in Wayland extends even to articles like this one.
    On the one hand, there are those who see exactly what the author is talking about and have observed that behavior first hand in Wayland, and on the other hand, there are those who dismiss or deny that any such thing goes on in Wayland at all. This divide is pretty much identical to where people come down on many other issues in town:

• Those who see the benefit of acknowledging and exposing issues so that they can be fixed, and those who prefer to ignore them, deny them or pretend that they don’t exist and want to perpetuate the lie that everything is wonderful in our bucolic little town.

• Those who have sought and supported audits, and those who claim they’re not worth the money.

• Those who recognized and voted against a “good old boys (and girls) club” that dominated Wayland politics for years, and those who deny its existence and voted for the incumbents in order to reinstate it.

• Those who see the benefit of the ouster of our Town Administrator, under whose watch many bad things happened in Wayland, and those who screamed bloody murder over his firing.

• Those who will not tolerate our boards breaking the Open Meeting Law, and those who sat by and said nothing over many, many violations over the last several years (some), and only became “outraged” when the very minor technical violation of the wording on the agenda item involving the Town Administrator’s termination came up.

• Those who would like to examine and streamline the budget, and those who accuse same of being anti-school for wanting to do so.

• Those who play by the rules and run positive, above-board campaigns, and those who deliberately and falsely represent their opponents as "anti-school funding, anti-Town Center, and anti-progress for the town.”

• Those who sincerely want to heal the divide in town, and those who for political gain, work hard to perpetuate it, instead.

• Those who are proud to have no "mean girls" among their ranks, and those who have their share of same, while denying their very existence.

This article was spot on. But it only scratched the surface of the serious damage these folks have inflicted on the town.
    Last edited by John Flaherty; 04-13-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added link to some of the bad things
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

John - please remember to duck when you pass through doorways so you won't smack your halo on the frame...

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    I find it sadly ironic that the divide in Wayland extends even to articles like this one.
    On the one hand, there are those who see exactly what the author is talking about and have observed that behavior first hand in Wayland, and on the other hand, there are those who dismiss or deny that any such thing goes on in Wayland at all.
    John, if you re-read the comments in this thread, you won't find much dismissal or denial. What you'll find is a sense that the problems that the author describes happen everywhere, are intrinsic to human nature, and can be largely circumvented by gravitating to people with whom you have a positive connection.

This divide is pretty much identical to where people come down on many other issues in town:

• Those who see the benefit of acknowledging and exposing issues so that they can be fixed, and those who prefer to ignore them, deny them or pretend that they don’t exist and want to perpetuate the lie that everything is wonderful in our bucolic little town.
    Spin alert. I for one am not ignore, denying, or pretending. I'm all for improving things. I supported the recommendations of the Abrams Report, the improvement of our financial accounting systems, the investigation of OPEB, and the return of the excess Free Cash.

• Those who have sought and supported audits, and those who claim they’re not worth the money.
    I think you need to be specific about which audits you mean. Some have been worthwhile, others not.

• Those who recognized and voted against a “good old boys (and girls) club” that dominated Wayland politics for years, and those who deny its existence and voted for the incumbents in order to reinstate it.
    There were "two sides" in Wayland when I first joined the Finance Committee almost 20 years ago. There were two sides during my service. There are two sides now. Who is denying this?

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound in lauding people on one side of this vote while ridiculing those on the other side?

• Those who see the benefit of the ouster of our Town Administrator, under whose watch many bad things happened in Wayland, and those who screamed bloody murder over his firing.
    Doug Leard, Tony Boschetto, and Ed Collins botched the termination of the Town Administrator. It's pretty clear by the results of the recent election that a majority in town agree.

• Those who will not tolerate our boards breaking the Open Meeting Law, and those who sat by and said nothing over many, many violations over the last several years (some), and only became “outraged” when the very minor technical violation of the wording on the agenda item involving the Town Administrator’s termination came up.
    The Attorney General's office said that Tony Boschetto intended to mislead. That's hardly minor. As for "sitting by," there was no need to do anything else given that the violations you mention were already under investigation.

• Those who would like to examine and streamline the budget, and those who accuse same of being anti-school for wanting to do so.
    No one is against examining the budget--our boards and many residents do this every year. What does "streamline the budget" mean? A year ago, Tony Boschetto and Donna Bouchard spoke out in favor of level funding the schools--is that a "streamlining?" As we all know, level funding means a cut in services without a specific proposal on how to deliver the same or more with fewer resources. We've heard no such proposal. Yes, in my vernacular, cutting school services is anti-school.

• Those who play by the rules and run positive, above-board campaigns, and those who deliberately and falsely represent their opponents as "anti-school funding, anti-Town Center, and anti-progress for the town.”
    That representation may be deliberate, but its truth or falseness is in the eye of the beholder. Your March 20 letter states, "Each of these individuals [Argie Shapiro, Bonnie Gossels, Alexia Obar] is just that – an individual. They have independent minds and ideas and they do not represent the group-think or the 'good old boys and girls club' mentality to which Wayland has been subjected in recent years."

Your assertion of "independence" is curious given the proclivity with which their lawn signs seemed to cluster with one another.

• Those who sincerely want to heal the divide in town, and those who for political gain, work hard to perpetuate it, instead.
    What political gain? And how exactly is proposing to cut school services (Tony Boschetto, Donna Bouchard) and ambushing a town employee with excellent performance reviews (Doug Leard, Tony Boschetto, Ed Collins) healing anything?

• Those who are proud to have no "mean girls" among their ranks, and those who have their share of same, while denying their very existence.
    This is an assertion without meaning or support. You can tout all you want the "white as the driven snow" nature of the anti-establishment (to use WVN terminology) while impugning the integrity of the establishment, but that by no means makes it true.

This article was spot on. But it only scratched the surface of the serious damage these folks have inflicted on the town.
    This article had nothing to do with the political divide in town.

John, here on the Wayland eNews Discussion Forum, you've slammed the School Committee for heeding the advice of Town Counsel while refusing to answer questions about why they are wrong to do so. You've slammed individuals who were members of SOS for being "mean girls" without providing any evidence.

To the extent that there is serious damage in town, perhaps you should hold up a mirror. At least Tony Boschetto and Donna Bouchard have given their time in service--you just pour gasoline and throw matches.
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 04-13-2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Jeff - you have the patience of a saint. I think I've come to the conclusion that your replies to John are pretty much what he's looking for. He somehow feeds off of the reactions he elicits from his baseless, inflammatory posts. I used to think he simply had warped views of reality, but now I'm convinced he's doing it more for sport, just to see how long he can bait people with ridiculous assertions. Your responses are all great examples of "duh" moments - most of what John asserts is just wrong or spun.

I find it quite interesting that the sole candidate that was left when the decision for the new TA was made (what choice did the selectmen have?) rejected the offer. If I was a spinster, I guess I could assert that he took a closer look at the inhuman treatment that the BO3 afforded the well liked, respected, and effective TA that we had (and by all rights should still have) and decided to run like hell from a town that would do this. But I'm not a spinster, so I guess I can't say that. :-)

No sainthood here, Carl. It's just that I'm a big believer in refuting falsehoods--if you let them stand, they tend to take on a life of their own.

John can assert that no one is anti-school all he wants--it just gets inconvenient for him when the facts say otherwise. I don't have to make a vague, unsupported, blanket statement about people being anti-school. I just have to "report" what those people actually said or wrote.

Exhibit A is Tony's performance during last year's Board of Selectmen campaign. You can read the details here, but the short version is this excerpt from a communication that he sent to the Finance Committee on behalf of Donna Bouchard, Kent George, and himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Boschetto
    3. As requested to the school comm…level funding for school budget. Finding efficiencies in a $33 million dollar appropriation is imperative for maintaining sustainability.
    I disagree with this "cut first, find efficiencies later" position that Mr. Boschetto, Ms. Bouchard, and Mr. George have taken. I think that this position is bad for our schools and bad for our town.

So when Mr. Flaherty gives me the opening to recite the facts, I'll gladly take it. No patience necessary. Just a diligent pursuit of the direction I'd like Wayland to take. It doesn't get any more transparent than that.

John, the forum does have bullet lists available for nicer formatting. If you don't see bulleting available as a formatting option, hit the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    John, the forum does have bullet lists available for nicer formatting. If you don't see bulleting available as a formatting option, hit the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of your post.
    Thank you, Kim.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Alan,

Does your shoulder hurt?

John,

That is almost as funny as your signature tag line.