Thread: Update on the Turf Field

Default Update on the Turf Field

There is a great letter by the School Committee in today's Town Crier. Please read it. it clears up the misconceptions in last weeks letter to the editor by a resident.

Also, Breaking News!!!
    Last night the Newton CPC voted 7-2 to approve the use of CPC funds for their turf field project which is significantly larger than the one proposed in Wayland. That makes Newton, Weston, Acton and Sudbury that have all approved the use of these funds for their projects.

Have a very safe 4th of July

Default Environmental Update on the Turf Field

Now that Mr. Sciacca's last letter to the editor has been corrected it is now time to do it once again on his latest effort to prevent a project that is actually good for the town and the large constituancy that needs it. Does anyone think the 100's of towns that have these fields didn't investigate the environment before they built???? Is there only water in Wayland?
    Anyway, in Newton where their CPC recently supported the request for funds for turf fields, organizers of that project presented many statements of fact which in turn "concluded that synthetic fields provide environmental benefits and no environmental risk" In fact they sited Harvard University, City of Cambridge, Town of Brookline and the Mass Dept of Commonwealth Resources as entities that all reached that conclusion.
    Also, today I contacted FieldTurf Inc, the largest of the suppliers of these fields. This comes directly from them as they read the letter. You'll note they use actual studies in their response.
    "It really seems like you can find anything on the web these days! FieldTurf has in our possession a public report titled “Toxicological Evaluation for the Hazardous Assessment of Tire Crumb for Use in Public Playgrounds.” The result of the report was the following “An exposure assessment performed to address the potential health risks to children playing in facilities where tire crumb is used as ground cover concluded that there was little potential for an exposure sufficient to cause adverse health effects in children”

"If rubber from tires were such an issue, we wouldn’t be able to walk outside. Car tires break down over time and its dust finds its way into our air stream"

and..
    "A study was completed in Seattle, Washington in 2003 that utilized single cell organisms in water to test the affect of the FieldTurf product on its health. The water containing the organism was poured onto the field at several different spots on two different FieldTurf installations, on a dry day, this water was collected at the drainage system’s outfall ‘point of connection’. This collected water was then tested to see if there was a significant loss of living organisms as a result of passing through the FieldTurf. There was negligible loss resulting from FieldTurf."

Finally, last night 2 of the open soccer fields in Wayland were closed due to wetness forcing the cancellation of the WHS Summer Soccer League Boys game. The other 2 were rented. Of course, you all know the main athletic field at the high school is closed for the summer.

More news after the 4th. Have a safe one!

Craig

Default A Second Legal Opinion Supports Town Counsel in Use of CPA Funds for Turf Field

Last week through the Board of Selectman, the Community Preservation Committee and the School Committee received a copy of a second legal opinion supporting the use of CPA funds for the turf field. This opinion came from a Boston law firm and fully supports the Town Counsel's first opinion. The CPC has now received 2 opinions that support the use of these funds for this project. First the Newton CPC and now this, the news keeps getting better.
    Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2006 at 06:15 AM.

Default Turf?

I appreciate the clarifications of the proponents of the CPA paying for part of a cost for a new artificial turf field for the high school. One thing I do not understand is naming it a "turf" field, which seems to me to be a misnomer. To me, turf is sod or grass, not an artificial covering to replace grass. Maybe there's some reason to use this term, but my impression is that it doesn't help sell the project, whatever the motivation to use the single word. Just a thought.

Fred

Fred, thank you for your note. The correct term would actually be called a "filled" turf field. I thought that was a little cumbersome. In future references I'll make sure to be more specific.

thanks,

Craig

Default WVN on Artificial Turf

Today's WVN stated:

Though this kind of artificial turf is in wide use and some test
    data are available, the High School location concerns
    environmentalists. It is near the Sudbury River, federally
    protected to some extent by its designation as a wild and scenic
    river. Much more important, it is close to wells that supply a
    large percentage of the town's water. One widely quoted study
    shows toxic leachates from such artificial turf fields for months
    after installation (Birkholtz, Belton and Guidotti, 2003).

I found the referenced article by Birkholz, Belton, and Guidotti (WVN's misspelling above is their own). I thought the conclusion of that study might be useful for WVN readers:

"We conclude that the use of tire crumb in
    playgrounds results in minimal hazard to children and
    the receiving environment."

Smile WVM Comments- A Reply with the Facts

Kim, thank you for your note. At the CPC meeting I handed out an article from Firehouse.Com. They are a leading child safety web site. In the article about playgrounds the conclusion was that fine sand and shredded rubber is a preference as a base for childrens playgrounds. They also list synthetic turf as an acceptable base. I also handed out a CD with environmental data that included a stormwater run off report. All the info provided showed NO Environmental Risk only BENEFIT.

thanks,

Craig