Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where from Here?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Rosenblatt View Post
    So... Jeff....

I wonder why you chose to break your welcome silence now? I would hope that the commentary offered by thoughtful people like Jeff and Kim would elicit responses to the issues, not personal attacks. Personally, I've been trying to understand why the BO3 think that they can get away with what they did without any repercussions, but I'm at a loss. Your missive did however provide me with some insight into what might be going on here.

The town clearly has at least two diametrically opposed viewpoints - let's just say "yours" and "mine" for ease of discussion purposes. You believe that it's "OK" to do whatever you want, as long as it fits your agenda. I on the other hand, am looking to the communities interests, and taking a broader view that would allow Wayland to grow and continue to provide an excellent place to live, raise your family, and generally enjoy life. The BO3 clearly falls into your belief category, and the facts speak for themselves. These are the same facts that you refuse to acknowledge or discuss, but would rather scathe the people that point them out. I guess I should just consider the source, and treat it appropriately, but at least I now have some inkling as to why the BO3 did what they did - they just don't care about Wayland, and are in their Selectmen positions for purely puerile reasons. Perhaps you should consider running for the board? Oh wait... you did run for School Committee back in '09, didn't you? How'd that go? Well, who knows, maybe the noisy minority (see how I worked that back in again?) will vote you in this time.

I can only hope that the $20,000+ per year that I donate to Wayland to provide me with a safe town, good education, and a fiscally responsible BOS isn't being abused as badly elsewhere in government as the BO3 did in this case. I can think of a lot of things we could do with several hundred thousand dollars rather than feed the egos of 3 minority nay-sayers, elected by a duped electorate (transparency? really?).

I think maybe I'll visit our fantastic Town Center for dinner tonight. Can't wait for more shops to open.
    Just came back from the Town Center. Really glad it is part of our town (and I always enthusiastically supported it).

At least I've done something, Carl, besides lurk behind a keyboard and spout nonsense. Hope you're enjoying the view from the back row behind the MAJORITY in town. It certainly hasn't done anything to improve your ability to understand how I think or what I believe, even though you claim to know. Maybe someday, if you ever took the time to meet and/or get to know me, then you'd be qualified to give an opinion. Until then, blather on....

Exactly what have you done Jeff besides attack the majority side of town (that would be the side that you are not on by the way)? I don't think being the dog officer in town really matters that much. Getting destroyed in an attempt to weasel yourself on the school committee certainly doesn't count. Hmmm... what else? Oh. Posting nastygrams on this DF doesn't count either. You seem to think that I don't understand how you think. Well, actually, I don't think you think. I think you react. Check that. I know you react, as there's plenty of hard evidence. Take this thread for example. You remained in the back row (with the rest of your supporters) on this board until Kim posted the ridiculous note from Mr. F to the BO2 (that would be the majority side in spite of the temporary imbalance on the BOS). Then, when Jeff D. brilliantly analyzed (and destroyed) it, you decided that it was time to call people jerks (yes, I know you redacted it, but you still did it, and I guess you think you really are qualified to give an opinion on a persons character in spite of never having met them... but wait! Isn't that what you just accused me of? How ironic.). Any who - the letters to the editor in the Crier continue to tell an interesting story about the split in town opinion on the opacity of the BO3 - at least this week, the score is majority: 7, minority:1. I'll ignore the exchange between Alan and Tom as they're just sniping at each other (kind of like what you're doing with Jeff, Kim and I) rather than addressing the issue which is that our elected officials lied to us about transparency, decimated the OML, fired a TA with a stellar record for no reason, and have some "new direction" planned that they refuse to publicly speak about (more transparency I guess). Just you wait - these 3 aren't done yet. They're going to get in the way of progress of your beloved Town Center, prevent the DPW from replacing their dilapidated facility, and cut funding to the schools so that you and your cronies can save $50/year in taxes. Your turn to blather now - I'm sure you'll have more accusations that mirror your own behavior to spout. Bring it.

Well, despite how much I enjoy this back and forth, I'll try and stick to the only meaningful parts of the above diatribe that even come close to being worthwhile/true (point #1 notwithstanding)

1. Can't even get my volunteer service to the town correct. Says everything we need to know about your assessment of my involvement. BTW, since you're so interested in failed attempts to get into office, how was that run for Road Commissioner in 2006?

2. This Board is populated by about four people. It is hardly worth the effort to post here as it is not relevant anymore. I posted as I was appalled by the bashing of a person I know and like. I did not think it deserved to stand on it's own.

3. I did say that. I redacted only because the rules require it and I agreed to follow the rules here. You're right, I don't know you (nor do I honestly care to -- probably makes two of us). My opinion was, using the careful words of Jeff D, in regards to your behavior here as I am not qualified to comment about it elsewhere.

4. Scoring Letters to the Editor is hardly telling of the opinions in town. I scored many more for non-Boschetto supporters in the last election and, voila, who's sitting there?

5. Not sure how anyone will block Town Center progress as it is already built. Funding can't be cut to anything without the permission of Town Meeting. I highly doubt you'll see much of an appetite for cutting schools -- and if there is one, I won't be looking to support such a cut. The basis for my involvement in anything to begin with was to fight against a cut in schools. Interesting that you should use $50/year in taxes. That was the exact purported savings from the Elementary School debacle that your people foisted on us and I so vehemently fought against. As for the DPW, give me a plan that is well thought out and I'm interested in supporting it. You may not agree, but the last approach was not fully baked. I pay lots of taxes here too, for a reason. I'm interested in a town that supports residents who desire strong schools and properly sized and supported infrastructure. My tax money should be well spent all around. We're a lot closer to that today, in my opinion, than we have been thanks to people like Tony who have spent inordinate time and energy understanding our budget in detail and knowing where the waste, excess, and overages were.

I'm sure we could go on and on, Carl. And boy, who wouldn't enjoy that. I think I will turn my attention back to more important matters than continue on. Good luck with everything in here.
    Last edited by Jeff Baron; 09-19-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: One line got cut when my post originally went up. Adding back in....

I agree. We are done. Thanks for your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    2. This Board is populated by about four people. It is hardly worth the effort to post here as it is not relevant anymore. I posted as I was appalled by the bashing of a person I know and like. I did not think it deserved to stand on it's own.
    To be fair to this Discussion Forum, "four" is a fairly dramatic understatement. By my count, 12 people have POSTED since the BO3's poor decision to terminate the Town Administrator's position absent any substantive discussion over a span of a mere 18 minutes.

Now, you might argue that 12 posters isn't all that many. But it's not all about how many people post. It's about the size of the audience. The words of those 12 people have been viewed over 7,000 times. That's right, seven thousand. Sure, some of those views are the posters proofing what they've written. But one should not discount the impact that this Discussion Forum has lightly.

5. Not sure how anyone will block Town Center progress as it is already built. Funding can't be cut to anything without the permission of Town Meeting. I highly doubt you'll see much of an appetite for cutting schools -- and if there is one, I won't be looking to support such a cut.
    I hope that you're right--if so, that plank (2400+ views) of Mr. Boschetto's platform won't come to pass.

The basis for my involvement in anything to begin with was to fight against a cut in schools. Interesting that you should use $50/year in taxes. That was the exact purported savings from the Elementary School debacle that your people foisted on us and I so vehemently fought against. As for the DPW, give me a plan that is well thought out and I'm interested in supporting it. You may not agree, but the last approach was not fully baked. I pay lots of taxes here too, for a reason. I'm interested in a town that supports residents who desire strong schools and properly sized and supported infrastructure. My tax money should be well spent all around. We're a lot closer to that today, in my opinion, than we have been thanks to people like Tony who have spent inordinate time and energy understanding our budget in detail and knowing where the waste, excess, and overages were.
    Yes, Free Cash built up to an amount greater than it needed to be, in large part out of conservative budget projecting. But that was certainly not "waste" or "excess"--it wasn't spent ("waste" and "excess" can only really occur when there is spending). And yes, the OPEB funds were paid in advance of what the Town *might* have chosen had it known more, but they were nonetheless paid to only partially fulfill a financial obligation.

So, I don't understand is what you mean by "waste" and "excess." No doubt, every dollar hasn't been spent wisely--that's the very nature of budgeting and spending. But is there rampant "waste" and "excess?" Assuming an annual budget of about $60M over the last five years, we've spent on the order of $300M. Where is the evidence of any meaningful "waste" and "excess" over that or any other span?