Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where from Here?

Question Where from Here?

The following is a public document submitted to the Board of Selectmen. I post it to encourage public comment on the content.
    ------------------------------------

To The Board of Selectmen

Joe and Steve, do you truly want to work together as a board or do you want to work on turning public opinion against your 3 colleagues? Do you truly want to bring the town together, or are you more interested in regaining power? In both cases, to the casual observer, it seems like the latter.

The bullying I saw again tonight from Steve and Joe towards the other 3 members was just disgusting. Rather than try to work with your fellow board members, you continue to try to fan the fire and turn the public against them. Your incessant need to relate everything that came up back to the events of August 26 and your constant interruptions when Tony was trying to talk, your insistence on spending more money on this so that you can use that as further proof of how poorly it was handled, all point to a very transparent and very unseemly effort to show your 3 colleagues in a bad light. The underhanded politics at play here are shameful. You've made a mountain out of a molehill and are deliberately fanning the fire to pump up the Friends Of Fred in the audience.

As patient as the other 3 have been with all of this, I would encourage the Chair to put a stop to it. It's impossible to conduct a meeting when two board members are continually ranting and raving and then looking out to the audience with
    self satisfied grins as they get the thumbs up from a few supporters. The arguing, the shouting over each other, the ganging up on the other members is all out of order and makes for a very dysfunctional committee.

The complaints filed against Tony are for show. You know that. It's a complete charade intended to fuel the faux outrage. They'll never fly. There will be no fine. Kimmy's complaint is theatre, nothing more.

No matter how poorly you think this thing was handled, it's over. You can't undo it. It's time to move on and work together. Please wrap up this foolish dog and pony show and get back to work.

Thank you,

John Flaherty

Thanks for sharing Kim. No surprises here - it's just the way the world is viewed through eyes that cannot see.

One question I'm wondering about is whether or not we can recall the BO3? In other towns, if you have a petition with "x" signatures on it (I think it's a small number like 50, but I'm not sure), you can recall a selectman. Essentially, you can fire them the same way they fired Fred. If this is an option in Wayland, I would like to know more about the mechanics so that I can get it started. The next question is whether or not we can re-instate Fred once the BO3 are gone? If I were Fred, I'd tell the town to pound sand given the inhumane way he was treated, but maybe if the main perpetrators of the travesty are gone, he might reconsider.

In any event, it cracks me up to read things like "Your incessant need to relate everything that came up back to the events of August 26..." as though that was just a blip on the radar. Perhaps John doesn't realize the impact on Fred's personal life (not to mention the impact on the 12,000 Wayland citizens)? Or perhaps he just doesn't care, as long as he gets his "transparent" way.

Yikes.

Carl, while most towns in Massachusetts have a recall provision in their laws, Wayland currently does not. To add such a provision would require a vote at Town Meeting (deadline for this STM is a 100-signature petition due tomorrow) and then the MA legislature would need to approve it (seems reasonable to assume this latter step would not be a big obstacle since most towns already have this on their books).

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty
    To The Board of Selectmen

Joe and Steve, do you truly want to work together as a board or do you want to work on turning public opinion against your 3 colleagues?
    Setting aside the false familiarity and condescending use of first names, John's question is fascinating on several levels. Having been cut out by the BO3 of "working together as a board," the two minority members are suddenly to blame? As for turning public opinion, it's quite clear from the public's response to the 8/29 BOS meeting and the attendance at the 9/9 BOS meeting that a majority of the public is in simpatico with Mr. Nolan and Mr. Correia, not being "turned" by them.

Do you truly want to bring the town together, or are you more interested in regaining power? In both cases, to the casual observer, it seems like the latter.
    The less casual observer sees nothing amiss with wishing to regain power to right a wrong, especially when the absence of said power puts Wayland residents and taxpayers at the mercy of bait-and-switch campaigning on the false platforms of transparency and fiscal prudence.

The bullying I saw again tonight from Steve and Joe towards the other 3 members was just disgusting.
    Bullying? Really?

Rather than try to work with your fellow board members, you continue to try to fan the fire and turn the public against them. Your incessant need to relate everything that came up back to the events of August 26 and your constant interruptions when Tony was trying to talk, your insistence on spending more money on this so that you can use that as further proof of how poorly it was handled, all point to a very transparent and very unseemly effort to show your 3 colleagues in a bad light.
    How can Mr. Nolan and Mr. Correia spend a dime without the agreement of at least one of the BO3? Clearly, such agreement is a belated effort to restore process where one was demonstrably absent.

The underhanded politics at play here are shameful. You've made a mountain out of a molehill and are deliberately fanning the fire to pump up the Friends Of Fred in the audience.

As patient as the other 3 have been with all of this, I would encourage the Chair to put a stop to it. It's impossible to conduct a meeting when two board members are continually ranting and raving and then looking out to the audience with self satisfied grins as they get the thumbs up from a few supporters.
    Few supporters? John, it's too bad you missed the 9/9 BOS meeting--there were dozens of supporters. As for the so-called "continual" remarks by Mr. Nolan and Mr. Correia, I've seen two meetings in which the relative silence of the BO3 has screamed for discussion. Sadly, only two of our elected leaders have risen to the occasion. We've had too little, not too much.

The arguing, the shouting over each other, the ganging up on the other members is all out of order and makes for a very dysfunctional committee.

The complaints filed against Tony are for show. You know that.
    John, we know, "Any views expressed are NOT yours alone," etc. etc. Please explain to the rest of us how the spate of complaints filed by Mr. Harris and others over time are for substance while this latest complaint (singular) is "for show."

It's a complete charade intended to fuel the faux outrage. They'll never fly. There will be no fine. Kimmy's complaint is theatre, nothing more.
    "Kimmy?" Really, John, how do you expect people to one day start taking you seriously when you take such an insulting and disrespectful tack?

No matter how poorly you think this thing was handled, it's over. You can't undo it. It's time to move on and work together. Please wrap up this foolish dog and pony show and get back to work.

Thank you,

John Flaherty
    Since when has not being able to undo something--especially in Wayland--meant that we have to move on? If for no other reason than their highly flawed process, the BO3 failed us as leaders; we can all learn from exploring how and why. waylandtransparency.org is a monument to not moving on--there's rich irony in being lectured on this topic by the master if not inventor of dead horse beating.

Bravo Jeff. You took the time to articulate exactly what dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of fellow Wayland residents are thinking. I only wish that it would actually make a difference to Mr. F. It won't.

Be well, and keep fighting the fight. We can't let the BO3 and the noisy minority run this town!

Wow, I haven't posted here in a long time! I only post to comment on what a parody of itself this Discussion Forum has become. It is the home of the former SOS'ers decrying their loss of power, those who used to live here and still seem to think their voice matters, and the delusional. I write in such strong terms given the all out blasting you two levied on John. he wrote that letter to the BoS, not to the Patch, Crier, or other publication. Last I checked, the 1st amendment gives him the right to express his opinion on the situation. It also gives you two the right to act so ridiculously, which you've fully exercised here.

Jeff -- why don't you take that giant chip off your shoulder? Pay attention to what's going on wherever you live now. If you must levy your opinion on the residents of Wayland, try and stick to a fact-based argument.

Carl -- the noisy minority? Guess what, you're part of it now. Get comfortable. I know a lot of nice people in Wayland who, while they disagree with what has happened over time, choose not to be quite as impolite as you.

Kim -- I leave you out of this group, as you seem to have purposely decided not to engage in an attempt to belittle John. I am curious where the letter came from, though. Since it was submitted post-Monday, and there has not been a public session of the BoS since, how did you get it and post it short of John giving it to you directly?

To those who read my comments, please accept my apologies for the harsh tone above. I'm, frankly, sick and tired of this "gruesome twosome" and, since there is such low participation on this Board anyway, I felt leaving their blather without comment was too much to handle. Bash on, Carl and Jeff, because I can see the response a mile away and let me clue everyone in on what's coming from this sorry pair-- let's just say it won't be defined as taking the high road. I know I didn't, but sometimes bullies (a favorite term of these two, ironically) need to be regulated.
    Last edited by Jeff Baron; 09-19-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Letters to the Board of Selectmen are public documents and are available upon request to any citizen.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 09-19-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks for the clarification on the letter. Does said request have to be written or can it be verbal, Kim?
    Last edited by Jeff Baron; 09-19-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Jeff, you will find this document from Attorney Robert Ritchie to be useful: http://www.mass.gov/perac/training/m...recordslaw.pdf

I'd suggest starting with his introductory letter.

Jeff B, a while back, I submitted a post that called you "graceless." Your thin-skinned response was to ask the WaylandeNews Board to remove that post. For reasons that continue to baffle me, they complied.

Here, you've raised issues about my personal life and called me a moron. I could certainly follow in your footsteps and ask the Board to remove your post. I won't do that, however. Rather, I'll allow the body of my service and words--and continued taxpaying--to Wayland to stand in comparison to yours.

Jeff Baron, your public words are all too frequently truly graceless.
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 09-19-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Description of the action rather than the person; I apologize for getting wrong the first time

I will read. Thanks for the information.

Jeff, I only mentioned that you don't live here, which is a fact. My source comes from the public voter registration records of the Town of Wayland.
    Last edited by Jeff Baron; 09-19-2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Relevance after removal of previous posts

Jeff B, the difference is, you're calling people names. I'm describing your actions. It would take but a bit of time for me to compile a vast body of evidence to support my assertion. To wit, your post #6 above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    Last I checked, the 1st amendment gives him the right to express his opinion on the situation. It also gives you two the right to act so ridiculously, which you've fully exercised here.
    I'm curious, Jeff B--in my response to John's letter to the Board of Selectmen, in exactly what ways did I "act so ridiculously?"

So... Jeff....

I wonder why you chose to break your welcome silence now? I would hope that the commentary offered by thoughtful people like Jeff and Kim would elicit responses to the issues, not personal attacks. Personally, I've been trying to understand why the BO3 think that they can get away with what they did without any repercussions, but I'm at a loss. Your missive did however provide me with some insight into what might be going on here.

The town clearly has at least two diametrically opposed viewpoints - let's just say "yours" and "mine" for ease of discussion purposes. You believe that it's "OK" to do whatever you want, as long as it fits your agenda. I on the other hand, am looking to the communities interests, and taking a broader view that would allow Wayland to grow and continue to provide an excellent place to live, raise your family, and generally enjoy life. The BO3 clearly falls into your belief category, and the facts speak for themselves. These are the same facts that you refuse to acknowledge or discuss, but would rather scathe the people that point them out. I guess I should just consider the source, and treat it appropriately, but at least I now have some inkling as to why the BO3 did what they did - they just don't care about Wayland, and are in their Selectmen positions for purely puerile reasons. Perhaps you should consider running for the board? Oh wait... you did run for School Committee back in '09, didn't you? How'd that go? Well, who knows, maybe the noisy minority (see how I worked that back in again?) will vote you in this time.

I can only hope that the $20,000+ per year that I donate to Wayland to provide me with a safe town, good education, and a fiscally responsible BOS isn't being abused as badly elsewhere in government as the BO3 did in this case. I can think of a lot of things we could do with several hundred thousand dollars rather than feed the egos of 3 minority nay-sayers, elected by a duped electorate (transparency? really?).

I think maybe I'll visit our fantastic Town Center for dinner tonight. Can't wait for more shops to open.