Thread: Lawyering up

Default Lawyering up

On August 26, Selectmen Tony Boschetto made a detailed, legally specific motion to terminate Town Administrator Fred Turkington's position. Last evening, we learned that said motion was technically flawed in two ways: once with respect to the title of the acting Town Administrator, and once in the absence of an expiration date on the service of that acting position.

One would think that with months of preparation, the motion would have been better crafted. I suspect that George Harris would advise Mr. Boschetto to seek out better legal advice the next time around.

I was shocked to learn that our board of selectman, actually the popularly named BO3, have decided to retain special counsel (that sounds expensive) because of this bumbled motion by Boschetto. Never before in our town's storied OML petrie dish history have our selectman elected to retain special counsel for an alleged OML violation. Why now? Why before they even meet with the filer of the complaint?

Not only does Boschetto want special OML counsel but he also wants labor counsel and he wants it all done behind closed doors, in executive session. What about including the public and the calls for transparency during his campaign? Don't worry, though, he says he will let us pay for this. A good reason for executive session is to discuss legal strategy for a lawsuit. No lawsuit yet, just a stated desire to keep the discussions secret.

Apparently the Attorney General has called our selectman to meet with her. Two of our selectman scheduled appointments and have met with her. Our other three selectman have not met with her but have decided to hire special counsel to be present for their meetings. Don't kid yourself they were explicit that they were not paying for this, the taxpayers are footing the bill. Again I believe the retention of special counsel is a first, as is a request by the AG to meet this early in an investigation. In prior OML violations the selectman at fault have paid the costs. What do you think will happen here when they are running up enormous legal bills, charging them to the town and no discussion has even occurred on the merits of the complaint. When they lose will the reimburse the town and pay the fine out of their own pockets?

I quote "we are hemorrhaging cash" since that fateful, mis-worded and mis-guided motion presented sneakily on August 26th. We have to hire special labor counsel, special OML counsel as well as our town counsel to deal with an 18 minute vote. What about the BO3's campaign to cut costs, include the public, open communication and transparency?

The above statement is a personal comment and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Audit Committee.