Thread: Message from Selectman Doug Leard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Message from Selectman Doug Leard

The following message was sent out by Mary Ann DiNapoli with the subject line "Message from Selectman Doug Leard" for John Senchyshyn on behalf of Doug Leard to Town employees and board and committee members on Thursday morning.

The intro is from John Senchyshyn:

Hello All,

On Wednesday afternoon I met with Doug Leard regarding a number of transition related issues. Following our meeting, Doug forwarded me the email below and asked that I share it with employees and board and committee members. Please share this correspondence with your staff and fellow board and committee members.

I appreciate your help in distributing Doug’s message.

John Senchyshyn
    Interim Town Administrator/HR Director
    Town of Wayland

The message John is forwarding from Doug follows:

Good morning John.

John, thank you for meeting with me yesterday afternoon. As I indicated to you, I would follow-up our conversation with this email. Although I am sending this email using my title as "Chairman of the Wayland Board of Selectmen," this email comes from me only. I have not spoken to any other Board members.

John, as I have stated previously, the actions taken by the Board of Selectmen on Monday evening were the most difficult for me. I ask you, on my behalf, to please assure ALL town department heads and town employees that the actions of the Board of Selectmen this past Monday evening, in my opinion, are in no part reflective of any personal motivation to make town employees uncomfortable. I want all town employees to enjoy coming to work, feeling comfortable, ready, willing and able to work without the fear that their job or important projects may now be the focus.

When I ran for office in 2012 I emphasized my desire to bring more unity to our town. As a single volunteer for the Town of Wayland I have always tried to do my best. I know the decisions I have made are welcome by some and condemned by others. That comes with the position and I am willing to accept that position. When I sit in my chair on Monday evenings, I remind myself that I am not making decisions just for Doug Leard, and I am not just making decisions for the people that have graciously elected me, but I am making the best decisions I can for all Wayland residents; with the best information I have as a member of the Board of Selectmen.

Please, to the best of your ability, circulate this email to all parties we discussed and convey my continued support for the Town of Wayland and all its employees.

Respectfully submitted,
    Douglas J. Leard

On August 29, Mr. Leard's message was forwarded to me. Later that day, I sent the following message to him. I eagerly await his response.

Dear Mr. Leard,

Your message below was forwarded to me. I have several questions and comments:

1. What does it mean that you're using your title as BOS Chair but sending this only from you? As BOS Chair, you act on behalf of the Selectmen.

2. Why did you make such a "difficult" decision Monday with less than 18 minutes of thought and essentially no substantive discussion on the part of Mr. Collins, Mr. Boschetto, and yourself? Why did you not delay the vote?

3. Until now, I hadn't given thought that any of the three of you would be acting to make town employees uncomfortable. That said, whatever the reasons you were acting--and for what it is worth, not presenting said reasons was an incredible dereliction of duty on your party--you can't help but understand that they would have the effect of making employees uncomfortable. Perhaps if you had given the matter more than 18 minutes of thought, this implication would have occurred to you.

4. How can town employees know that their important jobs have focus? The phrase "new direction" was thrown around with zero elaboration. To date, the town's direction has been clear--balance the demand for excellent services with consideration for the ability to pay for those services. I am curious to know where we will now be heading. I suspect that town employees are wondering the same thing.

5. In what way did your actions Monday night bring more unity to the town? Clearly, they have had exactly the opposite effect. Perhaps 18 minutes isn't enough time to make a decision of this magnitude.

You terminated the Town Administrator's position without CAUSE. That was your right. That does not, however, mean that it was right to terminate the position without REASON.

I look forward to hearing those reasons from you and your two collaborator in this terrible decision. Since that 18 minute debacle, you've had 220 times as much time to put that list of reasons together. Surely that's enough time to share them with your constituents.

Sincerely,
    Jeff Dieffenbach

The silence is deafening. I suspect that the letter Doug wrote (which has no real content to it - just repeated empty words of a false campaign) was written strictly as a self defense for a senseless act of vitriol. Perhaps one of our lawsuit happy OML watchdogs would care to attack this issue?