Thread: The curious adventures of our newest elected officials: Donna Bouchard edition

Default The curious adventures of our newest elected officials: Donna Bouchard edition

Newly elected member Donna Bouchard refused to sign a controversial letter released today by the Wayland School Committee. The text of that letter is as follows.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 of the 5 members of the Wayland School Committee
    The Wayland School Committee invites the community to attend its meeting on Tuesday, September 3rd, at 7PM. At this meeting, Jim Powers from Powers & Sullivan LLC, a leading independent audit firm, will present his findings related to the "Forensic Procedures Engagement of the Wayland Public Schools Financial Activity; Fiscal Years 2007 through Fiscal 2012".

Over the last few years, the School Committee has heard concerns raised by residents with regard to our fiscal operations. We have worked very hard to respond to these concerns. Under the leadership and guidance of our Superintendent, Paul Stein, and our Business Administrator, Geoff MacDonald, and with their experience and expertise, we have made it a priority to improve our financial operations and identified it as a District goal these past two years.

By way of background, at the 2012 Spring Town Meeting, residents voted to request the State Auditor to conduct an audit of certain school accounts. The State Auditor declined to conduct such an audit in June 2012. The School Committee then decided to undertake an audit/review on its own in response to those concerns raised by taxpayers. To minimize unnecessary expenditure on the audit/review and to understand the best scope of work, the Committee agreed to hire an independent firm to perform a pre-audit of the school accounts, and then based on this firm's findings, complete a thorough review as necessary. Working with the new Audit Committee, in the fall of 2012 the School Committee hired Powers & Sullivan to conduct the pre-audit and define the scope of work for the audit/review of these accounts. In late January of this year, Powers & Sullivan presented its report to the School Committee. With this defined scope of work, the School Committee issued a Request for Proposals (RFP). Working again with the Audit Committee, in early April the School Committee hired Powers & Sullivan to complete this project.

The final report from Powers & Sullivan will be presented to the School Committee at its meeting on Tuesday, September 3rd, at 7PM and is posted online at http://www.wayland.k12.ma.us. During this meeting, the School Committee will receive the report and ask questions of Jim Powers. The Committee will then hold an extended public comment period for the community to ask questions of Jim Powers related to this report.

The School Committee is committed to working closely with our Superintendent and Business Administrator to support the fiscal operations of the school system with any eye towards efficiency, transparency and accountability.

We always appreciate hearing from you. You may contact any of the School Committee members with your feedback.

Thank you for your support.

WAYLAND SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEMBERS
    Barb Fletcher, Chair
    Beth Butler, Vice Chair
    Malcolm Astley
    Ellen Grieco
    I suspect that some readers of this letter may be having difficulty spotting the controversy. I have it on good account that in particular, Ms. Bouchard took exception to the following scandalous paragraph (the second in the letter).

Over the last few years, the School Committee has heard concerns raised by residents with regard to our fiscal operations. We have worked very hard to respond to these concerns. Under the leadership and guidance of our Superintendent, Paul Stein, and our Business Administrator, Geoff MacDonald, and with their experience and expertise, we have made it a priority to improve our financial operations and identified it as a District goal these past two years.
    It may well be that a few readers STILL can't spot the objectionable content. I would point it out to you ... but I can't find it either. Please re-read the paragraph and propose any possible sticking points. Certainly, there's no debating the first sentence. That only leaves two sentences as offending candidates. Let's take them one at a time.

(the School Committee has) worked very hard to respond to these concerns.
    Perhaps Ms. Bouchard takes exception to the word "very?" Or "hard?" Or "worked?" Certainly, the Committee has responded, including but not limited to the commissioning of the effort spelled out in the third paragraph of their letter. It's incomprehensible that Ms. Bouchard would withhold her signature based on the presence of one or even all three of the words that I've suggested. That leaves only the third sentence as the possible troublemaker.

Under the leadership and guidance of our Superintendent, Paul Stein, and our Business Administrator, Geoff MacDonald, and with their experience and expertise, we have made it a priority to improve our financial operations and identified it as a District goal these past two years.
    If nothing else, this sentence offers more words with which to differ. Is Ms. Bouchard claiming that Dr. Stein and/or Mr. MacDonald are not offering leadership and/or guidance? Is she saying that improving financial operations has not been a district goal? (It couldn't be that--a quick check of said goals reveals the truth of that part of the statement.)

Ah, so it must be "priority" that's thrown a burr under her saddle!

Shame on you, Dr. Stein (and/or Mr. MacDonald), for what I can only assume was placing the education of Wayland Public Schools students ahead of the auditing of practices discontinued at least several years .

The report describes four serious breaches of financial controls, and numerous other examples of lax financial practices. Were I a member of the School Committee, I would have refused to sign an invitation that did not include an aggressive commitment to rectify these deficiencies and monitor ongoing compliance.

As I said during a School Committee meeting last year, the enemy of well-funded education in Wayland is not villagers with torches seeking to slash the school budget; the enemy is sloppy financial management that damages the school system's credibility in the eyes of taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by DHBernstein View Post
    The report describes four serious breaches of financial controls, and numerous other examples of lax financial practices. Were I a member of the School Committee, I would have refused to sign an invitation that did not include an aggressive commitment to rectify these deficiencies and monitor ongoing compliance.

As I said during a School Committee meeting last year, the enemy of well-funded education in Wayland is not villagers with torches seeking to slash the school budget; the enemy is sloppy financial management that damages the school system's credibility in the eyes of taxpayers.
    My read is that paragraphs 2 and 5 of the School Committee's letter convey the spirit if not the exact words of "commitment to rectify these deficiencies and monitor ongoing compliance. I will leave the question of whether these paragraphs rise to the level of being aggressive for others to discuss.

More importantly, the ACTIONS of the School Committee and the administration since the nature of these accounts was first reported DEMONSTRATE the spirit of rectifying/monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    My read is that paragraphs 2 and 5 of the School Committee's letter convey the spirit if not the exact words of "commitment to rectify these deficiencies and monitor ongoing compliance. I will leave the question of whether these paragraphs rise to the level of being aggressive for others to discuss.
    In my opinion, those paragraphs come nowhere close to expressing the necessarily level of commitment.

In my opinion, those paragraphs come nowhere close to expressing the necessarily level of commitment.
    In my opinion, the actions of the School Committee over the past few years more than demonstrate the necessary level of commitment.

And as we know from very recent events in Wayland, actions speak much more loudly than words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    In my opinion, the actions of the School Committee over the past few years more than demonstrate the necessary level of commitment.
    We are discussing the content of the letter you posted.

I don't see a reason to limit the discussion to the letter of the letter, so to speak, when there is relevant broader perspective to provide. If Ms. Bouchard's reason for not signing was that the letter didn't adequately convey the work that the board has done, I hope that she will say so.

I explained why if I were a member of the School Committee, I would not have signed that letter in its current form.

Your assessment of the School Committee's demonstrated level of commitment does not alter my position.

I explained why if I were a member of the School Committee, I would not have signed that letter in its current form.

Your assessment of the School Committee's demonstrated level of commitment does not alter my position.
    I have no doubt that you would have made your position clear to your fellow board members. I suspect that they would have been happy to consider stronger language to match their past and planned action.

Default Not curious at all.

It's called "integrity", Jeff.
    Here're a couple of definitions:

From Google:
    Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations, and outcomes. In ethics, integrity is regarded as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions

From Wikipedia:
    1. the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
    "he is known to be a man of integrity"
    synonyms: honesty, probity, rectitude, honor, good character, principle(s), ethics,morals, righteousness, morality, virtue, decency, fairness,scrupulousness, sincerity, truthfulness, trustworthiness More
    2. the state of being whole and undivided.
    "upholding territorial integrity and national sovereignty"
    synonyms: unity, unification, coherence, cohesion, togetherness, solidarity

Another recent example of integrity on this board is when Shawn Kinney refused to approve the accounts payables until he'd had an opportunity to review them. Until he came on to the School Committee, the standard operating procedure was for the committee to unanimously vote to approve the a/p without ever looking at what it was they were approving. Without their scrutiny, millions of dollars were being signed off on at every meeting that had received no oversight whatsoever, where as few as ONE person only - the business manager - handled both the accounts receivables and the accounts payable.

As with Donna, Shawn got criticized for doing the right thing.
    We need more people like Donna on our boards.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

John, please re-read my original post. I was in no way questioning Ms. Bouchard's integrity.

Rather, I was remarking on what I found to be a curious decision not to sign an innocuous letter signed by the rest of her School Committee colleagues. Are you questioning the integrity of those four Committee members for signing that letter?

Dave, that wasn't Donna's objection though. When I asked her whether her name not being on the video was an inadvertent omission or whether she objected to the letter itself, she pointed me here:
    http://waycamtv.pegcentral.com/playe...f96c4ba15f632a [Elapsed time 01:04:50.]

She was not objecting to it "not includ[ing] an aggressive commitment to rectify these deficiencies and monitor ongoing compliance" or asking for additional language that would say this.

What she was objecting to was specifically this paragraph:
    Quote Originally Posted by School Committee
    So that's either that she doesn't think the School Committee has heard residents' concerns, doesn't think the Committee has worked very hard to respond to those concerns, or that, along with Dr. Stein and Geoff MacDonald, that they have not made it a priority to improve financial operations.

It is interesting to hear the reactions of other Board members to her objections, particularly Ellen Grieco's. If you haven't watched the video, I recommend it.

Here are some more specifics on the content and timing within the WayCAM video of the 8/26/2013 School Committee meeting. The School Committee's letter is discussed in the following segments:
    • About 01:08 to about 01:20 (members Barb Fletcher, Malcolm Astley, Donna Bouchard, and Beth Butler)
    • About 01:52 to about 02:22 (member Ellen Grieco joining the other 4 by phone)

There are three sentences in the paragraph that Ms. Bouchard proposed to remove from the letter. Her opposition was based on the fact that said sentences were or contained opinions, and that the inclusion of opinions was not appropriate or at least not to her liking.

1. "Over the last few years, the School Committee has heard concerns raised by residents with regard to our fiscal operations."

2. "We have worked very hard to respond to these concerns."

3. "Under the leadership and guidance of our Superintendent, Paul Stein, and our Business Administrator, Geoff MacDonald, and with their experience and expertise, we have made it a priority to improve our financial operations and identified it as a District goal these past two years."

Ms. Bouchard allowed that sentences 1 and 3 were statements of fact and not opinion. Further, she allowed that the Committee has worked to respond to concerns raised by residents. That leaves only the question of whether the Committee worked "very hard" and whether their level of effort is a matter of fact or opinion.

At least two Committee members suggested removing the offending phrase "very hard" (and neither of the other two disagreed), but that did not satisfy Ms. Bouchard.

In the end, Ms. Bouchard bounced between two positions.
    • The Committee should not include opinions in its communication
    • Ms. Bouchard did not agree that the Committee worked "very hard"

The first assertion is odd. In many ways, the very existence of the Committee is for the purpose of expressing opinions: what budget should the schools propose, what policies should the schools have, what superintendent should the schools have and how is that superintendent doing. Any Committee that did not express its opinion--in meetings and in venues such as the local press--would NOT be serving its constituents.

The second assertion is also odd. Several times, Ms. Bouchard acknowledged that by not being on the Committee at the time, she was not in a position to see how hard they were working. At other times, she seemed to be saying or at least implying that the work done was not hard enough. It's not clear to me what measure we should use to judge "very hard" vs. "hard" vs. "not hard enough: Minutes spent discussing in meetings? Actions taken by Committee members and administrators? Something else?
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 09-16-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Clarification of how many members were fine with removing the offending "very hard"

The adventure continues. Donna Bouchard's latest effort from the Wayland School Committee "Plays Well With Others" seat previously held by Shawn Kinney? It's this lengthy letter to the editor posted to Wicked Local Wayland on April 3rd of this year. As she notes in closing, "The views expressed here are Donna Bouchard’s alone, and not necessarily those of the Wayland School Committee, of which she is a member."

There's that, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Bouchard
    Donna Bouchard: School budget is all or nothing
    Posted Apr. 3, 2014 @ 3:29 pm
    WAYLAND

The proposed 2014-15 school budget redirects money from the classrooms to fund non-education related positions, such as finance personnel, as well as new administrative personnel and support staff positions, while teaching positions remain unfilled. The budget is also burdened with earmarks that make it difficult to endorse, yet residents are held hostage – it’s all or nothing, and nothing is certainly not an option for a town that greatly values outstanding schools.
    If I'm not mistaken, state law establishes that school budgets are voted as a single line item. Wayland couldn't unilaterally change this if it wanted to. That said, the Wayland Public Schools present in their annual budget book a budget far more detailed and granular than any other department in town.

To call the budget "all or nothing" is to deeply misunderstand the process. At Town Meeting, a majority may increase or decrease the budget by any amount it sees fit. For instance, imagine a groundswell of public opinion taking exception to the purchase of socks for athletic participants. A member of Town Meeting could propose an amendment to the budget article reducing the school total by the cost of that hosiery. If a majority agreed, the budget would drop, but certainly not by "all."

It's important to note that while the overall budget amount would drop, state law allows the School Committee to decide where to make the reduction. For instance, it might conclude that eliminating finger paints at the Kindergarten level would have a lesser negative impact on education and choose to to make the cut in that colorful area instead.

Every dollar the Wayland Public Schools spend on other positions takes away from what we can directly invest in the classroom.
    Mathematically, this is true. Of course, it would be foolhardy to place every dollar in the classroom unless one sees no value in leadership, transportation, athletics, the arts, and the like.

While I strongly support funding excellence in education as a parent, taxpayer, and elected member of the School Committee, I also strongly support the reprioritization of funds appropriated to the Wayland Public Schools, as well as a comprehensive effort to mitigate the enormous 6 percent proposed increase to taxpayers.
    I can only hope that the deception Ms. Bouchard foists upon us here was unintentional. Per the Superintendent's budget presentation, the 6 percent increase (5.8%, actually) is made up of three pieces: mandated increases of $731,520 (2.2%), discretionary increases (1.9%), and the elementary school reconfiguration (1.8%). To ignore the implications of this breakdown and present it as a unitary whole is to mislead.

A School Budget Advisory Committee, much like the successful OPEB Advisory Committee, could and should be immediately implemented to benchmark spending against other high-performing peer districts in an effort to understand how a reprioritization of resources could positively impact the quality of education. More cost-efficient ways to deliver the non-education services the schools also provide should be considered.

In private industry, companies evaluate their competition constantly. Applying this logic to education and utilizing data to drive decisions can only result in a win-win for our students and our entire community.
    If the School Committee wishes to establish a "SBAC," I have no objection. It's too bad they ignored this idea out of hand. Wait, what's that, they didn't?

It's my understanding that at least two School Committee members (Ms. Bouchard being one) raised the idea of such a committee. Added Apr 5: To be clearer, they raised the idea of looking into the issues that Ms. Bouchard's committee was designed to study--they did not specifically propose the formation of a committee. A brief consideration resulted in the decision to discuss the idea in more detail following the budget season and Town Meeting. Did Ms. Bouchard formally request that the topic be placed on the agenda prior to Town Meeting? She did not. Did Ms. Bouchard formally request that the topic be placed on the agenda following Town Meeting? She did not. Instead, she made an end run around her own committee and proposed the formation of such a committee on Town Meeting floor. And Town Meeting resoundingly defeated the idea. This result places the School Committee in a difficult predicament--should it go ahead with the idea against the wishes of Town Meeting?

As for constantly evaluating our "competition," this has long been the practice of the Wayland School Committee. I know--I took on the task when I took began serving on the School Committee in 2000 (more than 14 years ago, for those keeping score at home). How long it had been going on beforehand, I have no idea, but based on the data I "inherited," for years at least, if not decades. The Committee compares salary settlements. It compares student-teacher ratios. It compares per pupil expenditures. It compares outcomes. And the administration is constantly working with its peer districts to explore best practices. In suggesting that this is not the case, Ms. Bouchard does a major disservice to her fellow committee members and those who preceded her.

We still have not restored two teaching clusters at the Middle School. Our 1:1 technology initiative at the High School will no longer be fully funded because we did not prioritize enough resources to retain a highly valued staff member. Neighborhood K-5 elementary schools will finally be restored, but the "2-3-4" model, versus the "3-3-3" model, will require additional administrative staff. Yet all these problems are masked by the proposed single line item appropriation figure of $35,433,047.
    These "problems" are hardly "masked." Each year, the School Committee undergoes a detailed budget process in a lengthy series of public meetings. As for the merits of the individual points that Ms. Bouchard cites, I'm generally not informed enough to respond. So I'll set aside her example and opt not to comment except to say that anyone wishing to form an opinion needs to fully understand the circumstances. For instance, is the decision not to "restore" a position the result of enrollment realities or a reduction in services? And regarding "reduction in services," it was Ms. Bouchard herself who argued for exactly that during her School Committee campaign a year ago.

Additionally:

• The director of the Wayland Public Library services the needs of nearly 13,000 residents at a proposed salary in fiscal 2015 of $96,994, year-round. The Wayland High School librarian services the needs of fewer than 900 students, at an FY15 proposed salary of $103,255, only 180 days per year. Though the position was budgeted for $61,834 this year, the School Committee (by a 4-1 vote) and school administration support an additional $41,421 increase in salary.

• The new school budget includes not one, but two assistant principals for Wayland High School. In FY13, the dean of students was budgeted for $89,005. The dean was promoted to interim assistant principal in FY14 after Principal Pat Tutwiler resigned. With the promotion of the current assistant principal to principal in FY15, the interim assistant principal’s position will become permanent. Rather than replace the dean of students, at a salary in the $80,000 to $90,000 range, a second assistant principal will be added for $108,471 to assist with teacher evaluations. We already hire great teachers. Adding more administrative staff to fill out forms that verify this fact does little to enhance the quality of education.
    Ms. Bouchard's dismissal of the value of teacher evaluations is stunningly ignorant. If Wayland faces a challenge, it is that we do not do enough evaluation, that we do not do it as well as we might, and that we do not provide our administrators nearly the resources needed. To the Superintendent's credit, the improvement of our evaluation process (which is contractually regulated) is one of his five system-wide goals.

• The proposed "2-3-4" elementary school reconfiguration model you’ll be asked to support at Town Meeting, although deemed the most flexible option for addressing a future increase in enrollment, comes with a hidden cost of approximately $106,000 for an assistant principal at Claypit Hill School in FY16. The School Committee and school administration did not include this figure in the $594,645 cost of reconfiguration, nor did they note an additional $155,417 for crossing guards, a school nurse and benefits for these new employees. While I support reconfiguration, I do not support spending money on an assistant principal for one elementary school. The "3-3-3" model would eliminate the need for this expense.

• Despite several years of spending $170,023 on elementary school "math coaches" and $18,060 for an "elementary math preview program" (12 teachers are paid $60 per hour every Tuesday to stay after school and tutor 110 students in third, fourth and fifth grades who have not met "Proficient" ratings on math MCAS assessment tests), the Wayland Public Schools received a "Level 2" rating from the state Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Wayland’s elementary math curriculum has not been evaluated during this budget cycle. A review of data is imperative to determine if this nearly $200,000 in annual costs related to math remediation has even been effective.

• The budget also includes a new student supervision position at the High School for $21,284, four new computer lab assistants at the elementary schools for a total of $41,368, and three playground supervisors for Claypit Hill and Happy Hollow for a total of $26,238. Presumably, the K-5 Loker schoolchildren will supervise themselves, as there is no money budgeted for a playground supervisor at Loker. Or will more positions be added after receiving voter buy-in? A human resources position for $77,090 was added in 2011. All these positions were recently created, yet the seventh and eighth grade lost an entire teaching cluster from the Middle School several years ago a total of eight teaching positions that were never restored.

• Special education costs continue to rise significantly. However, other districts are more innovative in their approach to meeting the needs of students while simultaneously mitigating the impact to taxpayers. The Manchester-Essex Regional School District, for example, applied for a Community Innovation Challenge grant from the state to develop an in-district special education program for students with dyslexia. In the first year of the program, the district saved an estimated $165,000. Wayland is a significantly larger district, with a potential for greater savings. The Manchester-Essex Regional School District piloted the program for fourth- and fifth-graders using an initial $109,000 grant. They have since received additional grant money totaling $117,000 to extend the in-district service to sixth-graders at the middle school, and parents say it’s a resounding success.

• Without ever evaluating the performance of Wayland’s school business administrator, a motion was passed (3-2) to extend the contract for $138,382, a salary equal to what Gov. Deval Patrick was paid as of last November. An accountant/analyst position for $60,643 was added in May of 2011, permanent secretarial staff for $12,014 was added five months later, and a new budget analyst position was recently added for thousands more, though that salary is not yet reflected in the school budget. Calls for more school finance staff are being considered.

• Despite all the educational resources allocated to school finance staff and the 2011 recommendation in The Abrahams Group report to coordinate efforts with the town finance director and redeploy existing staff to support the finance needs of both the schools and the town, the School Committee and school administration refuse to consider any consolidation between the two finance departments. Instead, repeated messages about a lack of school finance staff are used as excuses for continued lax financial management and the inability to pursue efficiencies or apply for grants.

The School Committee seems not to understand that its role is not to cheerlead the superintendent’s proposals, but to scrutinize proposed spending to ensure every dollar will maximize results. As a member of the School Committee, I am disappointed by a school budget that fails to fully support the needs of our students at the expense of our taxpayers.

The views expressed here are Donna Bouchard’s alone, and not necessarily those of the Wayland School Committee, of which she is a member.
    Ms. Bouchard's characterization of her colleagues as "superintendent cheerleaders" is an insult, pure and simple (no disrespect to cheerleaders intended). In light of this insult, her fundamental misunderstandings, and her inability to work as a team member (not the first of its kind, as the original post in this thread illustrates), some might be forgiven for hoping that she follows in Shawn Kinney's "one term wonder" footsteps.
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 04-05-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Clarification of point about SBAC

So that the clarification is not lost to those who have already read my Apr 4 post, here's what I added on Apr 5 with respect to the School Committee's consideration of studying peer districts:

To be clearer, [the School Committee] raised the idea of looking into the issues that Ms. Bouchard's committee was designed to study--they did not specifically propose the formation of a committee.