Thread: The Wayland Turf Field Project

Thumbs up The Wayland Turf Field Project

As many of you are now being made aware, there is a major initiative to place a synthetic turf field at Wayland High School. This field would service Wayland Youth Soccer, Youth Lacrosse, WW Pop Warner, all the High School Teams as well the many adult teams in town. Of the list I just mentioned only Varsity High School Teams and WW Pop Warner get to use it now! The financing of this project is not to include ANY new taxes. In fact, should this field get built in the summer of 2007 which is the goal, from that year forward it will save the town $30-$50000 per year!!! Financing for the project will come from 3 sources: Private Donations, Grants and lastly the Community Preservation Act. The CPA has 3 distinct areas in its language that the town can spend its tax money on. One of them is the creation and preservation of recreational open space. We as tax payers have a say in how this committee spends it money as its ours! They do not have the right to pick and choose. Our money in that fund must go before town meeting to be spent. The Wayland School Committee jointly with the Wayland Park and Rec Dept will be asking for $300,000 from the fund to go towards the field. The Wayland Town Counsel has issued an opinion that the request is LEGAL. The CPC is being very difficult and has refused to grant a meeting to accept the proposal. It is not up to them, it is up to us! If you haven't gone crazy from all the soccer and lacrosse games postponed this spring(many or all of which could have been played on the new field) please help in forcing the CPC to place this request as an article at the fall town meeting. If you have any questions please let me know.

thank you,

Craig Foreman
    Last edited by Administrator; 06-12-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Default Many assertions in WVN

Craig,

Thanks for this post. It tells a very different story than was distributed by Wayland Voters Network.

They made it sound:
    1. fiscally irresponsible -- they said we would only save $8-12k/year, and would then need to replace the surface in 12-14 years. They did not list a cost for replacing the surface
    2. like the entire planning has been secretive ("Selectman Chair Michael Tichnor and School Committee Chair Jeff Dieffenbach requested that the plans for the next million-dollar school project, a new artificial turf playing field, be kept quiet until the override and town center votes were resolved, according to President Craig Foreman of the Boosters in a report to the School Committee.")
    3. not allowed (quoting a letter from the Department of Revenue saying that such a use of CPA funds could not be justified)

Since they cite you in their article, I'm curious about your take on the whole situation. What other towns have used their CPA funds in this way?

Thanks for any information,
    Kim

Thumbs up WVN is off base in its email regarding the turf field

Kim, thank you for replying to my posting.

Here are the real facts:

The School Committee posed a question about what would happen when the field needs to be replaced in 10-12 years. It is a very fair question. At the time, I answered that nobody knew because no town has had to replace one yet. Then I responded that we did know that the field would save the town(Park and Rec) between $30,000 and $50,000 per year over the life of the field. This savings comes from not only the existing site but also the cumulative effect on the other fields in town. It was agreed by all present that at worst the replacement would be less than half of the original cost. Therefore the savings the town would realize would at worst cover the cost of the replacement when planned properly by the Park and Rec Dept. We subsequently learned in a meeting with the engineering firm that the planned field would cost between $250,000 and $300,000 to replace. Simple math shows the savings will pay for the new field. The field will have an 8 year warranty with third party warranty insurance to further protect the town.
    This project was the furthest thing from secret that it could be. All Youth programs in town contributed financially to the field from the beginning. That is the biggest constituancy that will benefit from it. The project was noted in the Town Crier, was on display at Wayland High School football games, and was mentioned at every high school banquet. Selectman Michael Tichnor was gracious in guiding us through the process. Jeff D simply asked us to wait until after the town votes because in order for the school committee to put us on the agenda it would have to wait until those very important issues were resolved. This project could not proceed unless the school commitee approved it and they couldn't approve it until they had time to put it on their agenda for their very public meetings. This did not compromise our project calendar so it was not a big deal to us.

Lastly, the CPC chairman without even having the facts of our plan received that non binding opinion BEFORE we met with the his Committee in January. The chairman has been told by Town Counsel subsequent to that event that DOR has no jurisdiction in deciding town projects. The Town Counsel issued his legal opinion approving the project after speaking to DOR.

thank you,

Craig

Default thank you for the facts

Let's use this as a friendly reminder to all that info posted on the WVN is often, at best, skewed. I am very grateful to have Wayland eNews (and the School Committee blog) as a reference for "the rest of the story....." and thank those who have taken the time to post here and better educate us of the facts on situations like this one.

Default how to help?

So, how can we help influence the CPC to get this onto the town meeting calendar? Is there an email address or a list of members of the CPC that we can contact?

Thanks,

Rich Stafford

Default CPC Chairman Shows complete arrogance at the BOS meeting

Rich, thank you for your email. The best way to get to the CPC is to go through the Board of Selectman. The majority of CPC was at BOS meeting last night by invitation trying to explain their refusal to grant a meeting and defer a decision on the request. In the height of arrogance, Chairman Michael Patterson and member Jerry Heller( a self proclaimed non practicing attorney) basically told the BOS that their Town Counsel, the one who does all the town legal work had issued a legal opinion that they were going to ignore! The Town Counsel was present and emphatically defended and stuck by his legal opinion.I sat their with other supporters and was outraged as were many of our Selectman. At one point Bill Whitney asked Jerry Heller what he was snickering about. You should also take note that Linda Segal, Pat Abrahamson, and Molly Upton were at the meeting. Do they play on any of the Adult Soccer teams????

Please note I am not indicting the whole CPC. Just the 2 members who by the way were appointed by the BOS. They are the mouth pieces and we must continue to work to get this on the ballot. By the way the Chairman is up for reappointment by the BOS.

Finally, its now Tuesday, 80 outside, hasn't rained for 3 days and Alpine Field is still closed. Rumor has it there were ducks on it yesterday.

Be well.

Craig

Default Is this the next big town debate?

What is it with the WVN and WVN supporters of this town? Do they simply have nothing better to do? I think we should band together and give them a cause to fight for that no one else cares about. This way, they'll have something to chew on without irritating the rest of us.

As far as the artificial turf, I don't have enough first hand information to know whether or not we'll save $8K/year or $50K/year, nor do I know what it'll cost us in 10-12 years to replace the field, so I can't comment on the absolute fiscal responsibility of doing this, or not doing it. What I do know is that there are ducks walking around on the fields (all over the Boston vicinity), and that my daughter's team was absolutely soaked, and risked injury at their last game played in Cambridge where the puddles on the field were numerous, and 8-10" deep. Artificial turf for public soccer fields simply makes sense from a safety and useability perspective. They're virtually maintenence free (not completely, but much more so than a grass field), and can be used much earlier in the season, and continue to be used much later in the season, and of course don't get swamped when we have torrential downpours. This may anger the ducks, but I'm sure they'll find somewhere else to go.

I'd love to help make this proposal a reality, so if there's anything that the public can do (in addition to writing to the BOS), please let me know.

Carl

Carl, thanks for the note. On the fiscal side I can summarize by stating emphatically that it is a positive budget development for the Town and specifically the Park and Rec Dept. What needs to happen to help make this project a reality is to force the CPC to accept the Town Counsel opinion and put the request for funds on the ballot in the fall. The School Committee on Monday night unanimously agreed to submit the request.

Craig

Default The Background The chair Of the C.P.C

The Chairman is a veteran like me who served his country during the Vietnam War .I am not going to sit here and listen to people be little him because some special interest group did not get what they wanted .Mr Chairman was a navy pilot who flew numberous combat missions over north and south vietnam.If you had attended the parade and the ceromony on memorial day
    and listened to him he is lucky to be alive to talk about it .As the chair of the.
    CPC he has job to do and is spend thef und according to the law set forth by the commonwealth of Mass Dept of Revenue .and that is what he is doing and an artifical turf field does not fall under the statute .We on the veterans memorial committee asked for funds and we were denied so what it is what you all are asking for is not appropiate for this fund .The CPA funds are for preserving open space purchasing tracts of land affordable housing .Lets raise your money privately and not look for a hand out We did it raise $100k
    in Two years and look what stand tall and proud outside our town hall lets us
    remember who is protecting this country and keeping it free I will say no more
    Richard P Turner

Default CPA funding is about issues not personalities

I don't think anybody has been speaking ill here of our elected officials as individuals. But even when you completely respect somebody as an individual, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with their positions on things. As I understand it, the CPA funds are meant to be spent on a mix of affordable housing, open space and historic preservation. At least 10% of the CPA funds must be spent on each of these. How they are divided up beyond that is at the discretion of the town. Among the open space uses is recreation, and many towns have used their CPA funds for artificial turf fields.

I don't think the question is whether Mr. Patterson is a respected (and respectable) individual (he is), but whether the town should spend the money on the turf.

It appears based on the numbers and information that I've read that it would be an good investment for the town as it wil pay for itself, and a huge improvement for those who use the fields.

I hope that we will be given the ability to vote on this issue at the next Town Meeting.