Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cell Tower Status

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Cell Tower Status

Does anyone know the status of construction of the new cell tower, and which carriers are going to be supported?

Thanks,

Rich Stafford

Funny you should ask. We just posted a bit of an update on the cell tower on our home and news pages:

Sprint, T-Mobile and Cingular will be locating on the Reeves Hill cell tower. Verizon has not committed to date, but has been in conversations with the tower company. The tower is expected to be in service early this fall.

A building permit was issued last week, and the construction is expected to take 60-90 days.

Default Reeves Hill Cell Tower

I had heard recently that a group oppoosed to this structure might have filed some type of Court Complaint in an effort to stop construction. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Turner
    I had heard recently that a group oppoosed to this structure might have filed some type of Court Complaint in an effort to stop construction. Is this true?
    I checked with the Town Administrator and learned that a group of residents represented by local attorney Ed Collins has filed a complaint against the ZBA opposing the cell tower by-law on a number of procedural grounds. It will not stop the cell company from constructing the tower while the litigation is pending. A building permit has already been issued.

Default Reeves Hill Cell Tower-2

During the course of the debate over this issue, there were concerns raised over the amount of RF emissions and possible health problems that the use of cell 'phones would generate. The Mass. Department of Conservation and Recreation, Bureau of Fire Control, maintains a network of 42 operation Fire Observation Towers, most of which have cell 'phone sites attached to them or in immediate proximity. As a result of concerns raised by the operators of these Towers, a study was conducted to determine if any negative effects to health would occur. It was determined that the cell 'phone transmission equipment generated minimal RF emissions, while their own radio communication facilites operatiing in the 150 MHZ range had the potential to pose more of a health concern. It's my understaning that cell 'phones operate in the 800-900 MHZ frequency range.

Default further status on Reeves Hill Cell Tower?

Has anyone heard more as to when the Reeves Hill Cell Tower will be activated? It would appear to be way behind earlier completion estimates.

Default Re: Cell Tower Status

I took a trip to Reeves Hill recently and noted that the T-Mobile site is currently operational, as determined by the electric meter so marked on the electrical panel. The slots for the meters covering the other carriers are blank as of this writing. Also, the new Fire/Police radio antennas have been installed, and they have resulted in a marked improvement in signal quality and strength.

Also, the new NEXTEL antenna, located behind the Sovereign Bank on the Boston Edison high-tension tower is up and running, which should help with communications for those using their units.

Default Latest on new cell tower

Construction is finished for Cingular, Sprint and T Mobile. T-Mobile's tower has been live since March 1. Cingular and Sprint may already be live, and if not, should be soon. The town appears to be in final stages of lease negotiation with Verizon. Town equipment (emergency radio equipment) is moved from the old tower (which is not down yet). Plan is to remove the old tower when/if Verizon goes up.

Default Cingular?

I sure hope the Cingular portion of the new cell tower is not active yet, because if it is, it made absolutely no difference in my reception near Claypit Hill. Does anyone out there know the status?

Carl

Default Cingular ???

I also have seen no improvement in my Cingular reception in the Charena Rd. area.

Hopefully, it's not completely 'online' yet.

Brian

Default Nothing new....

Less than 2 weeks ago, I checked out the tower and confirmed the obvious. Only T-mobile has a N-Star electric meter installed.

The other vendors looked like they're all set to go, but who knows what the hangup is. I've queried Fred Turkington, and he talked to the company responsible for the cell tower construction. Their reply indicated they really knew less than I did.

One of Fred's replies:
    "We all share your frustration. New Cingular sued the Town for the right to install a tower, but the companies drag their feet when the opportunity comes. It will be one year this spring sine TM approved the settlement for Reeves Hill. Folks from Mainstone Farms, the BOS and others have sent emails and called prodding quicker installation. We approved an easement to expedite NSTAR's usuall process for "powering" the site in September. As a private sector entity, there is little more than jawboning we can do at this point. We'll continue our efforts and hope for an early resolution."

I just wanted a contact at Cingular to contribute to the prodding.

P.S. For Verizon customers, Verizon does have new-looking equipment installed there, so maybe the negotiations have already been completed. Or maybe not...

Default Reeves Hill active cells as of mid Sept

I checked last week and the signal stength for Sprint and for Verizon on Rolling Lane is still unchanged from before the days of the new tower. Surely Sprint should be up and running by now. I know ATT and T-Mobile are up - I have a European GSM phone and have tested it - I get a strong signal going towards Reeves Hill on T-Mobile and it switches to ATT when getting really close to the tower. It is a strong signal there. So those two are working.

But Sprint is still not working as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any info on this? Also, Verizon is apparently not working yet although in that case I did not expect it yet since they were so late in signing a contract.

Any news on Sprint? That is the one I most care about.

Default Can't figure this out

My ATT (Cingular) service has not improved at all since the tower installation, so it's interesting that you think that the tower is operational... I wonder if it's just too far from Claypit Hill to help? At this point, all I can do is whine and complain, which doesn't really do any good, but it does make me feel a little better If we're lucky, maybe they'll decide to put a few more towers in to cover the north part of Wayland. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Rosenblatt View Post
    My ATT (Cingular) service has not improved at all since the tower installation, so it's interesting that you think that the tower is operational... I wonder if it's just too far from Claypit Hill to help? At this point, all I can do is whine and complain, which doesn't really do any good, but it does make me feel a little better If we're lucky, maybe they'll decide to put a few more towers in to cover the north part of Wayland. Can't wait!
    Back in July, I called ATT about the tower, and they could not even find the tower on their system, much less confirm that it was active. This is an improvement, though: pre-ATT Cingular couldn't even pretend to look for the tower on-line. Regardless, I've not heard back from them.

I think yours and my worst fear is correct: customers northeast of the tower are just out of luck. I'm less than a mile away, near route 20 and get only 0 or 1 bars. There's some evidence that ATT is active on the new tower and even so, it won't make any difference.

1. For some reason, the signal has always been strong at route 126 and 27, even before the tower. However, at Paine Estates, I've now noticed a 1 to 1.5 bar improvement in signal strength to 3 or 4 bars. With the cell tower in plain sight, though, I would expect no less than a steady 5 bars.

2. Recently, I needed to add a new phone for my son. I was able to recycle an old Cingular phone, unlock it, and sign up for T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go service with no committment. Given that T-Mobile is active on the tower, this was a perfect opportunity to test their service, right?

Well, T-Mobile's signal at home is no better than ATT's, at 0 to 1 bar. The only service that's somewhat viable at home is Verizon, but I don't like their non-GSM technology, their gestapo control of phone hardware, and their disabling of phone features.

Which is all very disappointing; knowing that the town has to go through another cell tower dance before we get better service is downright depressing.

If there is a silver lining, it's that ATT will give you the code to unlock your Cingular/ATT phone. That means you can purchase a global sim card and take advantage of low-cost pay-as-you-go rates in other countries with your current GSM phone. Or keep your phones if you want to switch to T-Mobile when your current contract runs out!

To be continued... maybe

Default Finally??

Last night I heard something that I have never heard before. It was my cell phone ringing while in my house. Yup... I couldn't believe it... How could this be? Upon answering the call, I was even more surprised to find that it was my son calling from the football game at the high school (typically another low or no signal area).

I was shocked when I looked at my phone and saw the four bars indicating full signal strength. I thought "Could the tower actually be working now?" I immediately went to my basement to test my theory and sure enough even surrounded by concrete walls I still had 4 bars. So, it appears that the new tower is FINALLY providing service to people that previously had none.

Coincidently, I had called Cingular/ATT just the night before in an attempt to get out of my contract without being penalized the early termination fee. I based my complaint on the fact that I was paying a monthly fee for service, yet I am unable to use the phone in my own house. Needless to say, I lost in my attempt to get out of the contract. But, they said that they would open a Network Incident Report and would have the tower inspected to ensure that it was operating correctly. 24 hours later and I have 4 bars !!!!

I hope the rest of you are also seeing the improvement in signal strength that I am seeing.

Brian Locke
    Charena Rd.