Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Cell Tower Status

Default Update on Reeves Hill Status

Got this from Alan Reiss (answers are from Horizon Towers, who controls the Reeves Hill Cellular towers)

1. Which carriers are now active on the Reeves Hill Tower and which are not...
    Cingular, T-Mobile and Sprint/Nextel are on air as far as we can tell. We know their antennas are up and we saw their electric meters all running last Tuesday evening when we stopped by.

2. Can you elaborate any timeline for all carries (specifically) to be online?
    We have agreed on terms with Verizon and have signed our jointly negotiated lease. We have been told the lease is being signed by them this week. We understand they would like to be on air as quickly as they can schedule their team to construct their shelter.

3. The pre-existing tower, has it been taken down? and 4. If not then when?
    We had been waiting for Verizon to finalize their lease as we expect they will use our contractor for the installation of their antennas with a large crane - it has been scheduled for the same contractor to dismantle the old tower at the same time they install Verizon with one mobilization. We are hoping and expect that Verizon will give the go ahead at the time they sign the lease.

Well, it seems as though the current news is that Cingular is supposed to be online. Unfortunately, I see absolutely no improvement in reception. So either the news is inaccurate, or the tower is situated in a place that doesn't help reception near Claypit Hill. I'm hoping that the news is wrong, and that Cingular hasn't fired up yet. Anyone out there know the truth?

Carl

"Antennas up and power meter running" does not mean "on the air supporting users". Drive over to the site with your handset and check the signal strength; it will be obvious if the cell is operational.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I was hoping to avoid having to drive over there, and that someone could just tell me the answer. Anyone out there know?

I'd drive over and check it out for you, but I don't have a Cingular phone.

Dave

I live about a mile from the towers and drive by all the time. I will be sure to post when service improves for Cingular users, if ever. I stopped holding my breath last May.

Of '06.

Default Still nothing

Two more months have gone by, and still no improvement. In fact, the signal on Rte. 20 has gotten worse. Oh well. Maybe I'll just throw out my cell phone and send up smoke signals.

Default Reeves Hill active cells as of mid Sept

I checked last week and the signal stength for Sprint and for Verizon on Rolling Lane is still unchanged from before the days of the new tower. Surely Sprint should be up and running by now. I know ATT and T-Mobile are up - I have a European GSM phone and have tested it - I get a strong signal going towards Reeves Hill on T-Mobile and it switches to ATT when getting really close to the tower. It is a strong signal there. So those two are working.

But Sprint is still not working as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any info on this? Also, Verizon is apparently not working yet although in that case I did not expect it yet since they were so late in signing a contract.

Any news on Sprint? That is the one I most care about.

Default Can't figure this out

My ATT (Cingular) service has not improved at all since the tower installation, so it's interesting that you think that the tower is operational... I wonder if it's just too far from Claypit Hill to help? At this point, all I can do is whine and complain, which doesn't really do any good, but it does make me feel a little better If we're lucky, maybe they'll decide to put a few more towers in to cover the north part of Wayland. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Rosenblatt View Post
    My ATT (Cingular) service has not improved at all since the tower installation, so it's interesting that you think that the tower is operational... I wonder if it's just too far from Claypit Hill to help? At this point, all I can do is whine and complain, which doesn't really do any good, but it does make me feel a little better If we're lucky, maybe they'll decide to put a few more towers in to cover the north part of Wayland. Can't wait!
    Back in July, I called ATT about the tower, and they could not even find the tower on their system, much less confirm that it was active. This is an improvement, though: pre-ATT Cingular couldn't even pretend to look for the tower on-line. Regardless, I've not heard back from them.

I think yours and my worst fear is correct: customers northeast of the tower are just out of luck. I'm less than a mile away, near route 20 and get only 0 or 1 bars. There's some evidence that ATT is active on the new tower and even so, it won't make any difference.

1. For some reason, the signal has always been strong at route 126 and 27, even before the tower. However, at Paine Estates, I've now noticed a 1 to 1.5 bar improvement in signal strength to 3 or 4 bars. With the cell tower in plain sight, though, I would expect no less than a steady 5 bars.

2. Recently, I needed to add a new phone for my son. I was able to recycle an old Cingular phone, unlock it, and sign up for T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go service with no committment. Given that T-Mobile is active on the tower, this was a perfect opportunity to test their service, right?

Well, T-Mobile's signal at home is no better than ATT's, at 0 to 1 bar. The only service that's somewhat viable at home is Verizon, but I don't like their non-GSM technology, their gestapo control of phone hardware, and their disabling of phone features.

Which is all very disappointing; knowing that the town has to go through another cell tower dance before we get better service is downright depressing.

If there is a silver lining, it's that ATT will give you the code to unlock your Cingular/ATT phone. That means you can purchase a global sim card and take advantage of low-cost pay-as-you-go rates in other countries with your current GSM phone. Or keep your phones if you want to switch to T-Mobile when your current contract runs out!

To be continued... maybe

Default Finally??

Last night I heard something that I have never heard before. It was my cell phone ringing while in my house. Yup... I couldn't believe it... How could this be? Upon answering the call, I was even more surprised to find that it was my son calling from the football game at the high school (typically another low or no signal area).

I was shocked when I looked at my phone and saw the four bars indicating full signal strength. I thought "Could the tower actually be working now?" I immediately went to my basement to test my theory and sure enough even surrounded by concrete walls I still had 4 bars. So, it appears that the new tower is FINALLY providing service to people that previously had none.

Coincidently, I had called Cingular/ATT just the night before in an attempt to get out of my contract without being penalized the early termination fee. I based my complaint on the fact that I was paying a monthly fee for service, yet I am unable to use the phone in my own house. Needless to say, I lost in my attempt to get out of the contract. But, they said that they would open a Network Incident Report and would have the tower inspected to ensure that it was operating correctly. 24 hours later and I have 4 bars !!!!

I hope the rest of you are also seeing the improvement in signal strength that I am seeing.

Brian Locke
    Charena Rd.

Bingo! I have 4 bars, too, at home.

It must have been your attempt at dropping their service that finally got their attention, Brian. That was one element missing from my prior call to ATT.

Whatever, Brian, kudos to you for calling and posting the good news.

Now to work on T-Mobile, which still gets me 0-1 bars.

Ken

Default The dance of joy

Yes, that sound you hear coming from Claypit Hill is me doing the cell phone dance of joy. I too have 5 (count 'em -- FIVE) bars on my previously useless Cingular phone. I can make calls, receive calls, go up and down the stairs (including the basement) and retain perfect reception. Brian -- you are my hero!

Carl

Default But still no SPRINT improvement!!

Yes, even now, October 15th, there is no Sprint improvement (on Rolling Lane). Even sitting next to the tower there is little signal. Does anyone have a better story to report - perhaps it is my phone or maybe Sprint just does not like me and they are blocking me out...

How long can this possibly take?

Default Interesting Observation...

Although I still joyously have fabulous reception at my house (Cingular), when I visit friends who live very close to Reeve Hill, there's little or no reception. This makes one wonder if the tower ont he hill is where I'm getting my home signal from, or if another tower has gone up somewhere in LIncoln or Concord (or Weston or ...) and the thought that the Wayland tower is funcitonion is wrong. Any thoughts on this?

Carl