Thread: The Next Digital Revolution in Education? Grading

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Next Digital Revolution in Education? Grading

This article in the Harvard Business Review describes CoursePeer, a platform for professors to

• interact with students while they take a course
    • rate the interactions in a manner akin to liking or not liking a student's contributions

The article points out that CoursePeer has made these ratings exportable so they can be communicated directly to employers, providing a more accurate, multi-dimensional assessment of each student than is provided by class grades and grade point averages. From experience, I know that companies would pay handsomely for access to these ratings, and ultimately for access to top students. What's not clear is how to divert a significant share of this revenue stream to K-12 for its role in preparing top students.

Dave, are you imagining this for college grades, or K-12? My experience has been that companies would be interested in college but not K-12 grades.

I don't have a sense of what companies might pay, but $100 per applicant who makes it past an initial screening doesn't sound too far off. If we assume that this would be paid for 1 applicant out of 10 (the top 10% of applicants/students), and that this would be paid 10 times for each applicant (representing 10 different job applications that this applicant makes), that comes to $100 per college student.

If half of all HS students go on to college, then this equates to $50 per K-12 student. Assuming that half of this went to the college and half to K-12, that's $25 per K-12 student. Even if I'm off by a factor of ten ($250) or a hundred ($2,500), it's a tiny fraction of the approximately $130,000 that it costs to educate a student K-12. And that assumes that there's a mechanism by which K-12 could benefit from the grading efforts of college instructors.

I'm not saying that there isn't a business model here, just not one that would appreciably offset the cost of a K-12 education. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Dave, are you imagining this for college grades, or K-12?
    The cited article describes CoursePeer's platform for college professors and students.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    I don't have a sense of what companies might pay, but $100 per applicant who makes it past an initial screening doesn't sound too far off. If we assume that this would be paid for 1 applicant out of 10 (the top 10% of applicants/students), and that this would be paid 10 times for each applicant (representing 10 different job applications that this applicant makes), that comes to $100 per college student.

If half of all HS students go on to college, then this equates to $50 per K-12 student. Assuming that half of this went to the college and half to K-12, that's $25 per K-12 student. Even if I'm off by a factor of ten ($250) or a hundred ($2,500), it's a tiny fraction of the approximately $130,000 that it costs to educate a student K-12. And that assumes that there's a mechanism by which K-12 could benefit from the grading efforts of college instructors.

I'm not saying that there isn't a business model here, just not one that would appreciably offset the cost of a K-12 education. Am I missing something?
    Companies typically pay professional recruiters 20% of an employee's first-year total compensation, so payments in the range of $10-20K per well-qualified student would be consistent with current business models.

What's the provenance and breakdown of the $130K required to educate a student K-12?

It would be interesting to know what fraction of employees are hired via recruiters versus directly. My guess is that recruiters are used much more at the higher end salary- and experience-wise. This sort of system might have less value there.

I'm assuming an average of $10k per student per year x 13 years. I'm guessing at the $10k--no idea if that's close to a national average. The MA average is $13k.

Here's one breakdown of cost per student. It shows that we spend about 90% of our budget on program (the rest being things like transportation and utilities, and perhaps administration) and about 90% of that is academic (vs. co-curricular). Sliced another way, the rule of thumb that I've always used is that we spend about 85% of our budget on people).