Thread: Chris Brown announces candidacy for Board of Selectmen

Default Chris Brown announces candidacy for Board of Selectmen

WaylandeNews received the following candidate statement from Chris Brown:

Name:  CB Head Shot.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  69.3 KB

My name is Chris Brown, and I am running for a seat on the Wayland Board of Selectmen. I am running because I believe that Wayland is a great town, with great people, great schools, great natural resources, and great services … and I want to keep it this way. My service as a member and current Chair of the Board of Public Works has given me invaluable experience within Wayland town government; experience that will allow me to be an effective voice for Wayland residents on the Board of Selectmen.

My wife Jeannie and I moved to Wayland 10 years ago – like many of you, for the excellent educational opportunities and the semi-rural way of life. We have two children, CJ (9) and Lindsey (7) in the Wayland schools. Many of you have probably seen us around town at football games, school pickup & dropoff, the library, cheerleading practice, baseball/softball, the grocery store, Russells, etc. I want to represent all Wayland residents on the Board of Selectmen – from families with kids in the schools to seniors who are in serious need of a new senior center.

I grew up in a small town in central Maine, the child of two teachers. My parents instilled in me the value of a quality education; they made sure my homework was always done – and done well. These values allowed me to be admitted to, and graduate from, Middlebury College. In my professional life, I am an enterprise software sales rep. There’s an old saying in sales, “you have two ears and one mouth, use them proportionally.” This approach has proved invaluable in my professional career, and I believe will also serve me well on the Board of Selectmen, because no one has all the answers. Only by listening to you, the residents of Wayland, can the Board make fully informed and educated decisions.

There are wonderful things going on in Wayland right now. The newly-opened High School will serve our children and our community well for many decades. I applaud and congratulate the High School Building Committee for their outstanding work on the project. Town Center will soon become a reality giving residents more shopping and recreational opportunities. At the same time, we need to find ways to ease the tax burden on citizens, particularly seniors and those on fixed incomes. Town Center will expand our tax base, and our Economic Development Committee is looking into other ways to bring revenue into the Town. Meanwhile, we need to continue our efforts to look for greater efficiencies, seek joint purchasing opportunities, and pursue consolidation and regionalization efforts as ways to unburden Wayland taxpayers. I am confident that Wayland’s citizens can work together and continue to achieve that proper balance between revenue and services.

I am excited at the prospect of joining the Board of Selectmen. My experience in working with the Selectmen on various issues in my role as Chairman of the Board of Public Works and my active involvement in youth programs across town make me the right candidate to represent you, the citizens of Wayland. I look forward to speaking with residents about the issues that face all of us. Please don’t be shy about telling me what is on your mind. I can be reached at chrisbrown4wayland@gmail.com or you can read more about me and my campaign at www.chrisbrown4wayland.org.

Thank you.

With Ed Collins' candidate statement in today's Town Crier, Doug Leard's from last week, and Sue Pope's Candidate Information Sheet, all four of the four candidates have now weighed in in one form or another.

My questions for all of the BOS candidates (with answers added in a few cases based on their public comments) are as follows. Unfortunately, I have a conflict and am unable to attend tonight's LWV Candidates Night, and so won't be able to ask directly. Perhaps others will.

1. Where did you stand on the High School project?
    - Brown: YES
    - Collins: ___
    - Pope: YES
    - Leard: ___

2. Where did you stand on the Town Center project?

3. Where do you stand on the proposed operating budget? (ATM Article 8) If no, what changes would you make?
    - Brown: ___
    - Pope: ___

4. More specifically, where do you stand on the proposed school budget including the new initiatives ranging from Chinese to wellness to technology? (ATM Article 8) If no, what changes would you make?

5. Where do you stand on the proposed capital budget? (ATM Article 8) If no, what changes would you make?

6. Where do you stand on REMOVING funding for the Community Preservation Act (ATM Article 6)

7. Where do you stand on changing to an elected Finance Committee? (ATM Article 4)
    - Collins: YES

I'm sure that there are other good questions--these are just the ones that occur to me right now.
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 03-22-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Addition of link to Sue Pope's material

From the LWV Candidates' Night on Thu Mar 22, per the Wayland Patch:

4. More specifically, where do you stand on the proposed school budget including the new initiatives ranging from Chinese to wellness to technology? (ATM Article 8) If no, what changes would you make?
    - Collins: YES (but, reservations about replacing MS roof)
    - Leard: YES