Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terrific Crier article on school finances by School Committee member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    My understanding is that school funds, other than those designated for special education purposes, cannot be and have not been carried over from one fiscal year to the next. For the two most recently completed fiscal years (FY10 and FY11), but not the two that preceded them (FY08 and FY09), there were substantive surpluses that were returned to the town at the end of those years.
    Your understanding directly conflicts with the data in Dr. Kinney's Town Crier article, and directly conflicts with the WPS Business Administrator's statements to me yesterday. You have acknowledged in an earlier post that uncommitted surplus funds were carried over from one fiscal year to the next if they were considered encumbered "in spirit" - a policy I'd be shocked to find permitted by any regulation or FASB standard.

On what date did the School Committee vote to return a "substantial surplus" to the town at the end of FY10?

Quote Originally Posted by DHBernstein View Post
    Your understanding directly conflicts with the data in Dr. Kinney's Town Crier article,
    No, my understanding conflicts with the OPINION expressed by Dr. Kinney in his Town Crier letter.

and directly conflicts with the WPS Business Administrator's statements to me yesterday.
    My understanding is CONSISTENT with the WPS Business Administrator's statements to me yesterday following your discussion with him.

You have acknowledged in an earlier post that uncommitted surplus funds were carried over from one fiscal year to the next if they were considered encumbered "in spirit" - a policy I'd be shocked to find permitted by any regulation or FASB standard.
    No, I've acknowledged that there were no such "uncommitted surplus funds" for FY08 or FY09. As for "spirit," well, I have no formal financial training, so I'll defer the correct terminology and procedure to the experts. It's my understanding that memo carry-forwards are an allowable (although perhaps not desirable) way to pay in Year 2 for Year 1 services that did not rise to the level of being encumbered in Year 1.

On what date did the School Committee vote to return a "substantial surplus" to the town at the end of FY10?
    To my recollection, the School Committee has not in the past voted on such returns (although I see no reason why they couldn't). Rather, I imagine that those returns happen as part of an "automatic" accounting transaction between the School Department and what I suspect must be the Finance Department.

Given the shenanigans that preceded him, the school system's Business Administrator is obviously in a difficult position. I'm not going to make things worse by demanding a formal confirmation or refutation of the data cited by Dr. Kinney in his letter to the Town Crier; it would be counterproductive to distract Mr. MacDonald and the dedicated volunteers on our School Committee who work hard on behalf of our town's students. I'll assume that the School Committee was misled during previous fiscal years by the previous Business Administrator, and take comfort in the more informed, straightforward, and transparent financial management being brought to bear by Dr. Kinney and Mr. MacDonald.

You can stop tap-dancing now, Jeff.

Dave, the constructive part of your constructive criticism still needs a bit of work.

Dave, the constructive part of your constructive criticism still needs a bit of work.
    You're right, Jeff. I forgot to recommend this course to you.

Well, Dave, I can't give you full credit for passing the constructive criticism course, but I do have to give you props for stepping so far outside your comfort zone and making what to my eye is your first foray into public humor.

Well, Dave, I can't give you full credit for passing the constructive criticism course, but I do have to give you props for stepping so far outside your comfort zone and making what to my eye is your first foray into public humor.
    "I see why you'd rather post anonymously".

Seems like you need a memory improvement course as well.

I don't follow: I never post anonymously.

As for my memory, I'm the first to admit that it's not my strongest attribute. As for my memory, I'm the first to admit that it's not my strongest attribute.

I don't follow: I never post anonymously.

As for my memory, I'm the first to admit that it's not my strongest attribute. As for my memory, I'm the first to admit that it's not my strongest attribute.
    "I see why you'd rather post anonymously" was my response to an incomprehensible post here by someone arguing in favor of anonymity. At the time, you found it rather humorous.