Thread: As Newton goes, so goes Wayland? I hope not...

Default As Newton goes, so goes Wayland? I hope not...

This article about cuts to Latin in Newton appeared online today. Incoming superintendent Paul Stein is quoted in the article explaining the rationale for the cut:

But Paul Stein, deputy school superintendent, said Latin is the only program that can be cut from the middle schools without having to hire teachers back to teach during the extra class time. Latin is an elective at the middle schools.

I hope similar thinking won't travel into Wayland. Latin is the foundation of many modern languages, and the language for people who want to develop their language skills. It is a language in which Wayland has traditionally excelled, and one I hope it will continue to offer.

I've heard Latin as a potential cut on the chopping block before, but I hope it will survive our economic problems in the years to come. If it's not succeeding in enrollment numbers, then it's a problem either of marketing or of making the classes exciting enough. [If we end up in a position of having to make a cut, I offer up French.]

(BTW, truly terrible spell-checking on this Wicked Local article! C'mon guys, it's just not that hard!)

Mon dieu!!

(Fun DF fact--apparently, a message can be too short. When I entered my previous post, it was rejected for this reason, prompting my addition of the second exclamation mark.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Mon dieu!!
    I assume what you really meant was: "Di immortales!"

I had the "Di immortales" at Viva the other night, their food still tastes as if it came out of a can ... and not a very good can at that.

I had the "Di immortales" at Viva the other night, their food still tastes as if it came out of a can ... and not a very good can at that.
    OK, so much for this being a serious thread. But at least it's civil! :-)
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 04-06-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: to add second sentence

Then let's get it back on track. I agree that of the two languages, I'd drop French first. But if the demand for Latin is waning, then perhaps so be it. I like your idea of marketing it, but I'll suggest that we do this marketing as part of the promotion of foreign languages as a whole. Are you thinking student and parent awareness at grade 6?

I like your idea of marketing it, but I'll suggest that we do this marketing as part of the promotion of foreign languages as a whole. Are you thinking student and parent awareness at grade 6?
    I think that would be a great idea. At the very least each department could send home information on why they think theirs is the language to choose

My son just came home with a form to select his language for next year with no accompanying information or "marketing".

Also, I note that they asked for his top two choices implying he might not get his top choice, though he is bound to stick with this choice for two years.

I like the marketing idea.

Here's taking it a step further.....

You know how once in awhile you'll see an advertisement on TV or in The New Yorker that is sponsored by a country's own "marketing department", i.e. a travel / tourist bureau? You know, the ones that say "Come to _________, where we have x number of sunny days per year!" or something like that.

So, rather than having to pay for the marketing of foreign language ourselves, go to the tourist bureaus of places where they want to see their language kept alive in the world - France, Spain, China - and invite them to create their own marketing campaign within our schools to entice students and parents to pursue a particular language. Maybe even charge them a fee for the privilege of accessing their target audience in order to help offset our costs of teaching the language.

Far fetched.
    Crazy.
    But, I've been called worse.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    So, rather than having to pay for the marketing of foreign language ourselves, go to the tourist bureaus of places where they want to see their language kept alive in the world - France, Spain, China - and invite them to create their own marketing campaign within our schools to entice students and parents to pursue a particular language.
    We might have a little trouble getting the Latin representatives to come visit.