Thread: Possible attractive alternative energy source

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Possible attractive alternative energy source

The whole world is now re-evaluating their nuclear power plants during the nuclear reactor crisis in Fukushima Japan. Thorium reactors would bring savings, safety, and new jobs at all levels to abundant energy production. India and China had already been pursuing Thorium-based reactors.

Anyone know if we're moving on this?

"New Age Nuclear" by Tim Dean, in Issue 8 of Cosmos, April 2006:
    "Nuclear energy produces no greenhouse gases, but it has many drawbacks. Now a radical new technology based on thorium promises what uranium never delivered: abundant, safe and clean energy - and a way to burn up old radioactive waste."
    > "What if we could build a nuclear reactor that offered no possibility of a meltdown, generated its power inexpensively, created no weapons-grade by-products, and burnt up existing high-level waste as well as old nuclear weapon stockpiles? And what if the waste produced by such a reactor was radioactive for a mere few hundred years rather than tens of thousands? It may sound too good to be true, but such a reactor is indeed possible, and a number of teams around the world are now working to make it a reality. What makes this incredible reactor so different is its fuel source: thorium."
    http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/featur...ear?page=0%2C0

Google hosted last year's "Thorium Energy Alliance" conference, but I'm not aware of any significant follow-through. Here's the link to this year's conference: http://www.thoriumenergyalliance.com/index.html

Gates has invested in a company developing travelling wave reactors, which seem much less attractive in the wake of Fukushima Daiichi: http://technologyreview.com/energy/22114/page1/

Default Thorium conference

Thanks for the link. I wonder if there will be more interest now that Fukushima has happened. I think it had all seemed pretty theoretical and/or political until now. It will be interesting to see. In the meantime, I contacted Rep. Markey's office as he's big on the energy committee. FYI his district field director is Mark Gallagher at Mark.Gallagher@mail.house.gov and phone at the Medford headquarters is 781-396-2900.
    Do you have a special interest in this matter?

My "special interest" is that I'd like to see a much more aggressive transition away from petroleum, natural gas, coal, and the current generation of nuclear technology. Solar energy is the obvious long-term source: it's effectively unlimited, clean, and can be made fail-safe.

For an alternative view of thorium reactors, see Thorium Fuel: No Panacea for Nuclear Power - there's a rebuttal here. The Chinese Academy of Science is planning a 20 year R&D program and other proponents have issued similar estimates, so there are evidently serious impediments to be overcome.