Thread: Ratios of students to teachers and admininstrators

Default Ratios of students to teachers and admininstrators

As the posts were veering off subject on the Selectmen's Forum thread, I thought it was more appropriate to continue this discussion under its own thread.

In post #17 of that thread, Jeff D wrote:
    "It has been the School Committee's philosophy to give the same cost of living adjustment to administrators as given to teachers "

WHY has it been the philosophy of the SC to give the same cost of living adjustment to administrators as given to teachers? Does the custodial staff enjoy those same adjustments? What about ALL staff?

How can you justify ANY increase in admin pay, let alone 6.1%, at a time when millions of people have lost their jobs, had their hours cut, their salaries slashed, AND Superintendents in some towns were cutting their own salary in acknowledgement of the truly tough economic times we’re in?

Just got this email from a friend:

The state average for student to teacher ratios last year was 13.3
    Wayland came in at 14
    Just below the state average.
    According to the article found on Boston.com at the link below, we are ranked 238 out of 392 school districts in the state of Mass. http://www.boston.com/yourtown/massf...er_ratios0910/
    So this begs the question. Where is the money going?

--------------------------------------------------------
    And another question - why do we come in slightly BELOW average in our Student/Teacher ratio, yet considerably ABOVE average in our Student/Administrator ratio?

Last edited by John Flaherty; 09-29-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Changed font color on quote - the gray just didn't work for me.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    In post #17 of that thread, Jeff D wrote:
    "It has been the School Committee's philosophy to give the same cost of living adjustment to administrators as given to teachers "

WHY has it been the philosophy of the SC to give the same cost of living adjustment to administrators as given to teachers? Does the custodial staff enjoy those same adjustments? What about ALL staff?
    Yes, it has been the philosophy of the School Committee to give the same cost of living adjustment to all employees. I can't speak for the reasoning of other Committee members, but for my part, the idea is not to play favorites.

How can you justify ANY increase in admin pay, let alone 6.1%, at a time when millions of people have lost their jobs, had their hours cut, their salaries slashed, AND Superintendents in some towns were cutting their own salary in acknowledgement of the truly tough economic times we’re in?
    Again, speaking only for myself, I contend that the Committee has recently negotiated favorable labor contracts relative to peer towns, and that there's merit in treating all school employees the same when it comes to cost of living adjustments.

Just got this email from a friend:

The state average for student to teacher ratios last year was 13.3
    Wayland came in at 14
    Just below the state average.
    According to the article found on Boston.com at the link below, we are ranked 238 out of 392 school districts in the state of Mass. http://www.boston.com/yourtown/massf...er_ratios0910/
    So this begs the question. Where is the money going?
    It has long been the approach of the School Committee to pay well to attract and retain high quality teachers, which as the research shows, have perhaps the strongest impact on quality of education. We pay our teachers a bit more than our peers, have slightly larger class sizes than our peers, and net out with a per pupil expenditure in the middle of our peer group. Again, a comparison of these factors can be found in the 2010 Budget Hearing presentation.

And another question - why do we come in slightly BELOW average in our Student/Teacher ratio, yet considerably ABOVE average in our Student/Administrator ratio?
    As I indicated previously, I'm not convinced that the MA DESE is making an equivalent comparison when it comes to administration cost, as I spelled out in post 25 of this thread.