Thread: WaylandSpinOpacity.com

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WaylandSpinOpacity.com

Since transparency's all the rage ...

I'm not positive, but I think that it was in the Town Crier comments section that I had an exchange with John Flaherty and/or an anonymous poster about the content of WaylandTransparency.com. (As a tangent, I continue to be amused by the irony of that site's having operated for years before posting information about who owns it.)

In particular, I was commenting about the juxtaposition of WT's obfuscate/spin/red herring banner with its right navigation link to "Kinney Wins!" When I asked why there was no mention of "equal" winner John Bladon, the argument was made that WT is 90% about the schools.

Two responses:

1. The election of a Board of Selectmen member would seem to me to be worthy of a piece of the remaining 10%.
    2. WT still makes no mention of the appointment of School Committee member Beth Butler; how that isn't a worthy topic for WT's 90% baffles me.

Obfuscate/spin/red herring indeed.

Can anyone explain why the http://www.waylandtransparency.com/index.php website is not kept up to date and why misinformation is posted on this site? If it is supposed to be transparent shouldn't it be accurate? At least

Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    Can anyone explain why the http://www.waylandtransparency.com/index.php website is not kept up to date and why misinformation is posted on this site? If it is supposed to be transparent shouldn't it be accurate? At least
    It's not up to date sometimes. Neither is the School Committee's site, which after 3 months still doesn't have Beth Butler's name up there.

However, I know of no inaccuracies or misinformation on the WaylandTransparency site. If you do, please let me know.
    You can contact me directly from the site.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

1. "Shawn Kinney Wins!" is on the home page, whereas the Beth Butler mention is one level down on the News page. John, your post above obfuscates that fact.
    2. Beth Butler has been a School Committee member for roughly 2 months, John, not the inaccurate more than 3 months you cite above.
    3. WaylandTransparency.com had no identifying information for on the order of 2 years, John, not the inaccurate 1 year or so you cite above.

I'm a bit curious why the superintendent search is mentioned on WT's right nav--it's a straight news story not directly related to the issue of transparency. If that story belongs there, I would think one about a new committee member would too.

John,

I am not sure that the status of the School Committee website updates is particularily relevant to why your site is not kept current. Based on your obvious displeasure with the way the committee operates it is ironic to me that you would try to use that as a role model. I would suggest you look toward eNews as more of a standard for keeping information current. It has been posted in other places that your website is a good source for information, you should try to meet the expectations one would have of a good source.

In terms of inaccuracies I do not have the interest or the time to serve as your editor. One page screaming for corrections though ai the page about Joy Buhler's replacement. The leading questions have all been answered publicly and your blatant mistatement about the relationship between Dr. Burton and Ms Buhler's replacement has been pointed out to you. Why not correct these false statements and misleading questions?

Ben,

Thanks for your input.

Let me assure you that WT is NOT modeled after the SC site. I only referred to the latter because it too was out of date, which, as the official site of an elected board is much more troubling than a non-news site run by private citizens, i.e., WaylandTransparency not being up to date.

Thank you for acknowledging that WaylandTransparency is recognized as a good source of information. To be clear, it is not a news site. It is more of a clearinghouse for information related to spin, opacity and misleading information from our School Committee. As such, there are times when it may seem out of date simply because there have been no recent such examples. (rare, I know.) [grin]® J.Dieffenbach

While “up-to-date” is not a primary concern for a site that is building an ongoing historical record, we do want to make sure the site is as accurate as possible and do welcome any and all input. Whenever possible, we link to videos, public records and websites such as the MA Dept of Education to make it easy for people to confirm the information we're presenting.

I’m glad you brought my attention to the page about Joy Buhler’s replacement.
    I found a typo there.
    Instead of “hometown”, it said “hometonn”. In any case, I removed that altogether as it seemed ambiguous.

The questions, however, do not strike me as misleading. If you'd care to elaborate or have any specific concerns, please let me know. You can reach me directly through the site.
    John Flaherty

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    Ben,

Thanks for your input.
    You are Welcome!

Let me assure you that WT is NOT modeled after the SC site. I only referred to the latter because it too was out of date
    Not what I meant but interesting response.

a non-news site run by private citizens
    who are the others and why do you not credit them in the interest of transparency?

Thank you for acknowledging that WaylandTransparency is recognized as a good source of information
    Actually not what I said and hard to stretch the comments of an anonymous poster on the TC site to be a viable recommendation.

To be clear, it is not a news site. It is more of a clearinghouse for information
    Really, a clearinghouse, really?

As such, there are times when it may seem out of date simply because there have been no recent such examples
    I was actually referring to a post that said more information to come from late May.

I’m glad you brought my attention to the page about Joy Buhler’s replacement.
    I found a typo there.
    Instead of “hometown”, it said “hometonn”.
    Now that is good. Really good. In fact it really says it all. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    I continue to be amused by the irony of that (WaylandTransparency) site's having operated for years before posting information about who owns it.)
    Jeff has made this point before and I’ve always found it amusing. To criticize WaylandTransparency.com on the basis of the fact that during its first year or so, there was no name associated with it, strikes me as shooting the messenger or throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    Regardless of who maintains it, it is backed up with videos of School Committee meetings, public records and data from the Department of Education. These sources don’t lie. Links are provided to these sources where readers can verify the information for themselves.
    Its purpose is to counter the spin and opacity that routinely comes from our School Committee and administration. Nothing more.
    As for why John Bladon’s win was not mentioned, the site is almost exclusively (MORE than 90%, actually) about the schools. John Bladon was running for Selectmen.
    Beth Butler was in fact mentioned on June 21 as you can see here.
    So, why then was the Kinney win such big news? Because he was running for the school committee on a platform which, among other things promised to bring more transparency to the committee. And he has made good on that promise. In over two years of observing school committee meetings, Kinney is the only member that I’ve ever seen who did NOT join the unanimous vote to approve the accounts payable, which the committee routinely does at every meeting. He has asked more than once to see a spreadsheet to help understand what he would be approving.
    Last edited by John Flaherty; 08-29-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Correction - Beth Butler WAS mentioned on the site back on June 21st.
    John Flaherty