Thread: "Marriage is so gay"

Default "Marriage is so gay"

The Wayland eNews Discussion Forum is a great but underutilized resource. Perhaps a wider range of topics, discussed reasonably, will draw increase readership and participation.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on Judge Vaughn R. Walker (Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California) finding unconstitutional California's recently approved Proposition 8 ballot initiative banning gay marriage. (FYI, I lifted the subject line of this thread from a pro gay rights Facebook Ad.)

With gay marriage legal, Massachusetts offers a unique perspective from which to comment. Unless I missed something, the world--or even just the Commonwealth--hasn't exactly gone off the rails or come to a halt since 2004. One argument raised by opponents was that gay marriage would somehow weaken "traditional" marriage. I certainly haven't felt any negative repercussions.

So, what do people think?
    • Was Judge Walker correct in his ruling?
    • Will his ruling stand up when it almost certainly gets to the Supreme Court?
    • Has gay marriage in MA been positive, negative, or essentially unnoticed?

Default Marriage for all (who want it)

My sister Alexandra D'Amario and her wife Margot McShane were married in San Francisco in 2004. Google them, they were on the cover of NY Daily News. They are now the proud parents of three children. Having a lesbian sister has made me more sensitive to this issue than some others. Being gay is about as unusual as being left-handed. I have heard stories from the 30s and 40s of left-handed children being being whacked on the left hand by ruler-wielding nuns. Imagine that being left-handed was bad thing.

Regarding gay marriage, which I believe to be a very good thing for those who want it. And for those who oppose it - I say get your mind out of the gutter. Ones sexual orientation and sex-life are private. Trust me, I don't go around thinking about the sex-life of anyone.

It is insulting to my sister and her family the rigamorole that she and Margot have had endure. My sister bore the three children and her wife had to "adopt" them. Margot's employer did not cover same-sex partnerships at first. She asked for it, and she received it 6 months later. They have to file as single for their federal tax forms... I do not think that this in this day and age that this is appropriate for gay families, with or without children.

If particular religious groups do not want to honor the marriages of same-sex couples, then they don't have to; but gays are as normal as you and me and whether or not gay marriage wins any state popularity contests, is besides the point. I can't imagine on what grounds the Supreme Court would not allow marriage. Any constitutional law fanatics out there?

'
    '
    '
    Last edited by Elizabeth Price; 08-31-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: repeated sentence

Elizabeth, thanks for sharing. I've got an uncle who's gay. Not living in an enlightened state, he's not married, and maybe he wouldn't choose to be in any event. He's been with the same partner for all of my adult life--his "situation" has gone from being curiosity to unremarkable (in a good way!).

I don't think that I've ever encountered anyone willing to say anything about gay relationships/marriage other than, "It was different at first, but as I got to know the couple and see them interact, I could no longer see what the fuss was all about."

My bet is that this is one of those societal issues where, 20 years from now (10? 5?), it will be so commonplace as to have blended into the background the way inter-ethnic and interracial couples have.

Default the 14th ammendment

I would imagine the 14th ammendment should protect same-sex marriage.