Thread: Being slandered by innuendo on the Crier by truth4wayland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Angry Being slandered by innuendo on the Crier by truth4wayland

Kim,

Although you have setup a thread on 'nasty comments' already, I feel that this thread needs to now be posted and visible as a standalone.

I would personally appreciate it if you would leave this thread up by itself and not combine it.
    I do not intend to reply back to this thread.. but others are certainly welcome to do that.

Consider this link and this comment:
    http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/h...ting-on-change

truth4wayland
    "The way certain people are promoting this and the way they seem to get the company to respond makes it appear that their is some sort of financial benefit coming to the supporters."

This anonymous truth4wayland posted a comment referring to 'certain people'. Who are those 'certain people' - I must assume that the main 'certain person' is Alan Reiss and even though truth4wayland did not name me directly, he pointed to me directly. Any court of law would agree with that.

truth4wayland should also note that there have been other very visible supporters of Electronic Voting and the mud that he slings also lands on them too.

truth4wayland also goes onto say: "makes it appear that their is some sort of financial benefit coming to the supporters."

This is the point where innuendo is used to create slander and libel.

Without proof truth4wayland uses his anonymity like a knife to degrade my reputation, my purposes and my hard work and efforts to have pulled off a free trial for Wayland for the exclusive purpose of seeing whether technology can help to solve the numerous issues around New England town meeting.

In my short political life in Wayland I have faced criticism by my detractors on many occasions but those criticisms were based on philosophy and point of view... I never had a problem with that and I was always willing to jump into the debate to listen to their point of view and to make sure I had mine heard too. That is the way it is supposed to work.

But innuendo leading to slander and libel is a circumstance that has not occurred for me until today Saturday May 29th, 2010 and it was done by truth4wayland an anonymous poster who has the ability to hide and cower behind his handle.

Today I have launched an investigation as to who truth4wayland is with the CRIER and its parent GATEHOUSE media. This is not over. So truth4wayland you have a nice memorial day weekend and you think about this.

Over the next year I will be working hard for Wayland by working with a newly forming committee headed by our moderator on bringing a successful e-voting demonstration to Wayland ATM 2011. The voters of ATM 2010 voted for this with a thunderous YAY and they deserve no less then a well executed and useful demonstration so they can make an informed decision going forward as whether they should want it, should rent it, should lease it, should share it or should buy it.

All of the people who have helped and supported the effort to bring solutions town meeting I thank you for your valuable help. This was not a solo effort and I could not have done this by myself.

As for who I work for and whether I receive any financial gain....
    I have posted a statement as an answer to a question on the newly re-created website

www.ElectronicVoting.info See the tab FAQ

Please go there and read my personal statement and I would expect that this issue should not come up again.
    Do you hear me truth4wayland, whoever you are?

I have added the PDF copy of the article and the offending thread in case it gets deleted.
    Last edited by AlanJReiss; 05-29-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added thread from Crier in case it gets deleted

Alan, I sympathize. I know that I have myself been the target of comments I thought were libelous on the Crier boards (slander is spoken, so I think you're talking just about libel here), and it's not a pleasant situation to be in.

With my layman's knowledge of the law, however, I have to say that I really doubt this particular comment, couched as opinion, is actionable. The writer says, as you quoted: ""The way certain people are promoting this and the way they seem to get the company to respond makes it appear that their is some sort of financial benefit coming to the supporters." (My emphasis added). Makes it appear... so they aren't saying that there is any financial benefit that they know of, just that he/she has that perception.

I agree that the comment is not appropriate, and I see that Mike Wyner has closed that thread (effectively deleting all existing comments and not allowing any new ones). I appreciate the effort you have put into bringing electronic voting to Wayland Town Meeting, and I sincerely doubt that there are many people out there who assume the financial motivation truth4wayland raised. That's the good news - I think your reputation is intact, and this sort of comment hurts most the person who makes it. If truth4wayland has a question about your motives, it would be far better to ask you off-line than to seem to accuse you online.

Next, truth4wayland adds: "I have heard JohnF make similar comments about development of the CVS and others about the TownCenter. Why does everything have to be tainted this way? I think this is a great opportunity for Wayland to improve but so are the other projects." JohnF denied that allegation in the next post. But truth4wayland is right about one thing -- without recalling who made the posts, there have been many posts accusing various people of financial conflicts of interest over recent years.

I would love to see the Crier require identification (at least declared to the Crier), and until they do, we will always face anonymous posters who slash at people unfairly. Sometimes people will do it even with their name attached, but at least then we know who is involved and can face the accuser.

All that said, however, I do see the concern the Crier has with identification. I saw what happened, for example, when Melissa Orlov chimed in on a thread, how she was made out to be an aggressor, when she was defending her actions -- actions which had been attacked via a hearsay argument in which she was referred to anonymously (this post, I will note, would no longer be allowed with our rules now including an explicit prohibition against hearsay). I think we can all appreciate the predicament she was in. She knew (or had strong reason to believe) it was her phone call which was being portrayed, and she wanted to explain the circumstances. She did that the only way she could, by claiming it. But in claiming it, she was then accused of defending herself against something she personally had not been accused of (since the accused was described without name attached). I'm sure you can appreciate her Catch-22. She seems to be a pretty strong person and has let it go, but I'm sure this kind of thread would be intimidating to many others who might like to post with their name attached.

Unhappy No more libel by innuendo - and thats that...get it ?

OK, I will respond to you Kim,

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    Alan, I sympathize. I know that I have myself been the target of comments I thought were libelous on the Crier boards (slander is spoken, so I think you're talking just about libel here), and it's not a pleasant situation to be in.
    Yes, libel, you are right that is the written form of slander.

With my layman's knowledge of the law, however, I have to say that I really doubt this particular comment, couched as opinion, is actionable. The writer says, as you quoted: ""The way certain people are promoting this and the way they seem to get the company to respond makes it appear that their is some sort of financial benefit coming to the supporters." (My emphasis added). Makes it appear... so they aren't saying that there is any financial benefit that they know of, just that he/she has that perception.
    Who would the certain people be? Clearly, I as the lead petitioner, the one that made the deal with Options Technologies Interactive to provide a free demonstration for ATM 2011 I must be the main 'certain person'. The comment pointed right at me, directly at me and if it were to go to a court, I think the case for libel could be made.

This is why I said slander (libel now) by innuendo. Because that is exactly what it is.

I agree that the comment is not appropriate, and I see that Mike Wyner has closed that thread (effectively deleting all existing comments and not allowing any new ones).
    I asked for the comment to be deleted based on a violation of their own rules which includes no personal attacks.
    They decided to take it further and close the entire blog on that article, also taking out one that I made personally, to make sure that no further libel by innuendo would take place. I do thank them for that... for being truly responsible.

They are also working on other information for me related to this incident.

I appreciate the effort you have put into bringing electronic voting to Wayland Town Meeting, and I sincerely doubt that there are many people out there who assume the financial motivation truth4wayland raised. That's the good news - I think your reputation is intact, and this sort of comment hurts most the person who makes it. If truth4wayland has a question about your motives, it would be far better to ask you off-line than to seem to accuse you online.
    Well it makes me smile to hear your appreciation... so I appreciate that too.

The first time the notion that Alan Reiss is doing this for financial gain came to my attention was on my way out of town meeting when a gentlemen asked me on the way out of the field house about who I work for. I told that person everything I put it into writing on my site and which is now posted on the FAQ. It is my hope that people go to that site and look through it because it contains much information about many aspects of using technology to solve town meeting problems. And they can read my written response to who I work for, how I did this and the fact that I do this only as a volunteer for my home town and my neighbors of 21 years.

I do not want to be accused of any conflict of interest or financial gain on this matter going forward. If I am I will take immediate and decisive actions on each and every incident. No one should accuse without proof... never accuse by innuendo. I don't believe in it and I don't practice it.

Next, truth4wayland adds: "I have heard JohnF make similar comments about development of the CVS and others about the TownCenter. Why does everything have to be tainted this way? I think this is a great opportunity for Wayland to improve but so are the other projects." JohnF denied that allegation in the next post. But truth4wayland is right about one thing -- without recalling who made the posts, there have been many posts accusing various people of financial conflicts of interest over recent years.
    Couple things here:
    1. Who is JohnF?
    2. Where is the exact text stored so I can read it and see for myself?

Given that, I would be able to make a personal judgement (and I will do that in private) as to the degree to what was said. Other than that, this is heresay and this is NOT allowed on this discussion forum.

All that said, however, I do see the concern the Crier has with identification. I saw what happened, for example, when Melissa Orlov chimed in on a thread, how she was made out to be an aggressor, when she was defending her actions -- actions which had been attacked via a hearsay argument in which she was referred to anonymously (this post, I will note, would no longer be allowed with our rules now including an explicit prohibition against hearsay). I think we can all appreciate the predicament she was in. She knew (or had strong reason to believe) it was her phone call which was being portrayed, and she wanted to explain the circumstances. She did that the only way she could, by claiming it. But in claiming it, she was then accused of defending herself against something she personally had not been accused of (since the accused was described without name attached). I'm sure you can appreciate her Catch-22. She seems to be a pretty strong person and has let it go, but I'm sure this kind of thread would be intimidating to many others who might like to post with their name attached.
    You brought up Melissa Orlov not me.

I still want to know why when I asked the question how she would defend something she wasn't accused of on your DF and then said that it narrowed it down to 5,000 people (or something like that), I was then accused and attacked .... my observations were dead on and I got dragged right into it and never received a retraction or apology.

And yes, and I let it go too. So I'm no longer asking for it. I just don't care about it anymore.

Notice my smiley face is still not smiling but getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post

Couple things here:
    1. Who is JohnF?
    2. Where is the exact text stored so I can read it and see for myself?

Given that, I would be able to make a personal judgement (and I will do that in private) as to the degree to what was said. Other than that, this is heresay and this is NOT allowed on this discussion forum.
    1. JohnF is the name of a poster on the Crier site. He was involved in the exchange you provided in the PDF in your original post.

2. There have been many threads over the years, but, as you know, it is virtually impossible to search for them. You have to know which article they are on and search for the article. You can't search for the comments themselves. And often the very worst are taken down.

I recall several alleging financial conflicts for a School Committee member. Sorry, can't provide links.

A recent one was on this thread on which a poster named "Javamom" had posted: about a rumor alleging a conflict involving the CVS developer. I won't post it here, but would be happy to email the text to you directly if you would like or you can check with Mike Wyner. I emailed Mike Wyner and suggested that he should not allow anyone to post a rumor.

Red face Some really good advice now...

I emailed Mike Wyner and suggested that he should not allow anyone to post a rumor.
    First, its nice that you, Kim, decided to communicate with me on this transgression. I was beginning to feel lonely.

I used to have this expression that went something like this:
    "There are two type of problems in the world, my problems and their problems". Now I'm sure that this doesn't sound very charitable and I only use it when I'm not happy or when I'm trying to make a point... like with my 19 year old... when he's handing me a boatload of excuses.

In this instance however, its clear that libel by innuendo didn't begin on Saturday with truth4wayland but what I really want to say to the audience that cares to read this is this:

If someone opposes electronic voting then oppose it on its merits and lets lay it out there for open and honest discussion.
    I'm trying to do this by re-vamping the www.electronicvoting.info website.

But, opposing electronic voting by libel through innuendo that Alan Reiss is 'on the take' isn't going to get the desired result. In fact, not only is it a loser argument, simply because its not true, but those who choose to do it will galvanize people who might be on the fence about this high tech method of voting and the concept that privacy in voting is really a good idea.

Besides, I'm a pretty relentless person and I don't being libeled. So if you *truth4wayland* are intent on libeling then make it somebody else's problem... not mine.

I used to have this expression that went something like this:
    "There are two type of problems in the world, my problems and their problems". Now I'm sure that this doesn't sound very charitable and I only use it when I'm not happy or when I'm trying to make a point... like with my 19 year old... when he's handing me a boatload of excuses.
    Besides, I'm a pretty relentless person and I don't being libeled. So if you *truth4wayland* are intent on libeling then make it somebody else's problem... not mine.
    But Alan this isn't just your problem, it's our problem. The use of innuendo to impugn reputations is prevalent on the Crier board. Take this post made just hours ago by WaylandWatcher (my bold emphasis):

Quote Originally Posted by WaylandWatcher
    "But there still is an imbalance and SOS and the selectmen are very tightly coupled. SOS was very helpful to them in getting the vote out so they could defeat their opponents and so that they could be in office. This is well known. And remember, 7 of the most powerful people in Wayland met at the head of SOS at a closed door meeting last year to give a 'state of the town' presentation to the PAC who supported them. So this tight coupling is just one manifestation of the control that SOS has. Although a similar meeting of the same magnitude is not as well known to have occurred in 2010. It may have occurred but just not quite as 'in your face' as it was in 2009."
    This is not right! So WaylandWatcher doesn't know about a meeting having occurred, but asserts that it "may have"?! It is not "well known to have occurred". This implies it did occur, but that occurrence is not well known. The follow-on sentence is a little weaker, but speculates that it "may have". So WaylandWatcher doesn't like SOS, and that somehow makes it OK for him to speculate about what sort of things they "might have" done. I can imagine all sorts of things various people "might have" done, but I hope none of us think it would be appropriate to guess about them publicly.

Though this post comes from someone more aligned to your own thinking and isn't "your problem", Alan, I contend that it is "our problem". I hope, Alan, that you will join me in deploring this type of behavior, this use of innuendo to damage reputations, and will publicly denounce it along with me. To have credibility on this issue you must care not only about the injuries done to you personally, but also to those done to others. Just as I have publicly denounced the posting by truth4wayland, will you denounce the one by WaylandWatcher?

I've attached a PDF of the comment in case it is removed: TC comments by WaylandWatcher.pdf

Exclamation Apparently there is a God.

Late breaking news.... on the Crier...

truth4wayland
    Been away for the long weekend and apparently I stirred the pot. I now know that alan gets no financial benefit from the electronic voting. Sorry for the confusion alan. I have heard others ask the same question so I am glad you have been able to set the record straight.

Apparently there is a God.

Thank you for all the sympathy of being called out by truth4wayland as being dishonest, immoral, perhaps illegal, probably dispicable, with bad intentions, willing to disrespect all of his neighbors for the past 21 years, willing to throw out the hard volunteer work that I have already done and no matter how much I sound like a broken record about FAST, ACCURATE and PRIVATE... its always got to be about the money. Can't be something else. *** I just don't want to hear some rumor circulating that Alan Reiss is on the take on this.... because I'm going to get very upset about it and I'm going to do something about it.
    Late breaking news.... on the Crier...

truth4wayland
    Been away for the long weekend and apparently I stirred the pot. I now know that alan gets no financial benefit from the electronic voting. Sorry for the confusion alan. I have heard others ask the same question so I am glad you have been able to set the record straight.

Apparently there is a God.
    Or, as Gilda Radner's Emily Litella would have said, "Never mind."

Default Roseanne Rosanadana

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    Or, as Gilda Radner's Emily Litella would have said, "Never mind."
    And in all seriousness, Gilda Radner was one very funny lady... a one of a kind and no less a significant talent then the impact and talent that John Belushi had on the 1975+ years of SNL.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...moking/278736/

So a very appropriate quote Steve.

RIP Gilda.