Thread: For all this talk about TRANSPARENCY....

Default For all this talk about TRANSPARENCY....

It was interesting to note that virtually evey member of our town govenment seemed to vote against posting their policiies on the town website(s).

At what point does "transparency" become more than just a word, more than just a soundbite?

I was asked last night if I would be interested and willing to post the boards' policies on WaylandTransparency.com.
    And of course, I said I'd be delighted! (Well, I didn't exactly say that. I don't often use the word "delighted")
    In any case I did say yes and it took me all of about 5 minutes to do it. And that included conveting the Word document to a JPG and a PDF before uploading.

So, whatever it was that was said last night about this being just too burdensome just doesn't make sense to me. In fact, I'm quite sure the opposite is true - by not posting them, each board will periodically get requests from the public and will have to go through whatever time and expense is involved in providing it, rather than simply poining them to a URL and saying "click here".

The only one I've posted so far is the BOS Policy manual.
    If any one has any others, please send them along and I'm happy to post them.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

A friend let me know that WaylandTransparency.com has a Facebook presence. I encourage anyone interested in transparency to "friend" them and join the conversation. I *think* that you can get their directly here, but if not, search for "waylandtransparency".

Regarding the post above, I note that the Wayland School Committee has long posted its policies online. I'm sure that it was an oversight on John's part not to note that.

That's odd, WaylandTransparency.com's Facebook presence may have been hacked. When I took a look yesterday, I could see its friends although not much else. Now, someone has hidden its friends too and offers up nothing other than the URL to its web page. No word back yet on the status of my friend request.

John, did someone actually hack your Facebook page at Wayland Transparency? I have sent that page a friend request, so if the page has been hijacked, I hope you will take it back over and accept my request so I can participate in the transparent discussions about transparency.

Default me too!

This is hysterical!

In the event that this helps with the debugging ...

Default a challenge

Make "Wayland Transparency" transparent, or change the site name to "Wayland Opacity".

John, I trust that I'm correct in that you're reading this--I'm assuming that you get notified of responses to your initial thread. I'd love to hear what the story is with "membership" on the Wayland Transparency FB page. I hope you agree that my voice would be a good one to add to the transparency conversation.

As for my transparency "credentials," my tenure in town government was one marked by a push for increased transparency. I helped to create the first Wayland web page. As a Finance Committee member, I developed a public-facing mission statement and started the posting of materials. On the School Committee, I created and maintained that board's web site, I responded to many private communications from residents, and I pushed for more budget detail and the posting of same. Through the Town Crier discussion board as well as this forum, I've done far more than any other town official to communicate with the public.

Best,
    Jeff