Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post

I resent the implication.
The implication being that people need to see how other people are voting in order to decide for themselves how to vote.
I never implied that. I merely said that there are times that it is useful. And that I have found it useful.

Do you think that people are that shallow?
That poorly informed?
Have no opinion of their own?
Have insufficient backbone to arrive at their own conclusions without needing to take their cues from someone else?
I don't think you need to be shallow, or poorly informed, or lack backbone to find it useful to know how the FinCom would vote on an amendment. Why, otherwise, does the FinCom list their votes on articles in the warrant?

You can stand if you want to stand while placing your private vote, but the motives behind doing so seem to be to effectively veto one of the main benefits of e-voting so that one could still send the message to others in the room how they should vote.
So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that one of the main benefits of e-voting is preventing others from broadcasting how they are voting? I had thought you were for looking for speed of voting and our your own personal privacy. I didn't really understand that you also wanted to prevent others from sharing how they intend to vote. I strongly disagree with you on this one.

However, my guess is that the number of people choosing to stand when they don’t need to would sharply fall off in the next few elections
If so, then the moderator could opt to stop asking. Town Meeting rules and procedures do adapt to what works and what people like and want.