Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shawn Kinney School Committee Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    I repeat what I said before... it appeared that you took issue with Shawn's statement supporting a no-raise position. I therefore made the leap that you must support something different -- like raises. Admitted, you said no public statement. I just couldn't imagine why you'd have an issue unless you disagreed. Now, you've stated that the WSC has taken no position. However, you have NOT said whether you support raises for teachers. I'm gonna go with a non-answer due to executive session, Bob, for a $1000....
    It's Alex, not Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bernstein View Post
    The amount of administrative support required for these positions should not be a matter of opinion, but rather the objective result of straightforward analysis. Your reference to opinion implies that no such analysis has been undertaken, which if true would be incompetent oversight.
    No, my reference to opinion is the result of there being no factual basis on which to ascertain exactly how much head count is needed in some positions. Throughout my service on the School Committee, I've taken the lead on benchmarking, including in the area of administration. For instance, I compared students per administrator for A-B, L-S, Wayland, and Weston, finding Wayland to be have a higher ratio than L-S and Weston and a lower ratio than A-B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    So, are you contending that you know more than I about public education, the Wayland Public Schools, and the operation thereof? I'm not in any way slighting you for having less knowledge--that's to be expected, given that you don't have on your record five years on the Finance Committee, ten years on the School Committee, and seven years in educational publishing.
    No, I am contending that I know at least as much as you do about hiring someone for an open position. Let me suggest that one might argue that I know more, since I would always interview at least two candidates in a market where the employer hs ALL the leverage. There is NO definitive way you can tell me you made the best hire here since ou have no competitive data. Maybe you got lucky, but if so, that's all it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    No, I am contending that I know at least as much as you do about hiring someone for an open position. Let me suggest that one might argue that I know more, since I would always interview at least two candidates in a market where the employer hs ALL the leverage. There is NO definitive way you can tell me you made the best hire here since ou have no competitive data. Maybe you got lucky, but if so, that's all it is...
    Interviewing two candidates does nothing to ensure that one is making the best possible hire (that person in theory being a third person not interviewed). If one is able to judge the quality of a candidate against the requirements of a position, as I assert we have, then it's quite possible to be successful based on merit and not luck.

Interviewing two candidates does nothing to ensure that one is making the best possible hire (that person in theory being a third person not interviewed). If one is able to judge the quality of a candidate against the requirements of a position, as I assert we have, then it's quite possible to be successful based on merit and not luck.
    Seems to me that in any publicly funded position there is, at least, an obligation to survey the field and look at a number of candidates.

Did the school committee make an attempt to find any other candidates?
    If so, were there any plans to bring them in?

One of the problems here Jeff is a perception of some 'conflict' or 'conflict of interest'.... whether it be real or imagined.
    In government service we should have no conflict of interest or even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

I cannot believe that filling that position so quickly was vital and critical that some time could not have been taken to have looked around.

Unless of course Jeff, you like spending your days and nights defending actions of your board. I would think you, like the rest of us, have better things to do.

No, my reference to opinion is the result of there being no factual basis on which to ascertain exactly how much head count is needed in some positions. Throughout my service on the School Committee, I've taken the lead on benchmarking, including in the area of administration. For instance, I compared students per administrator for A-B, L-S, Wayland, and Weston, finding Wayland to be have a higher ratio than L-S and Weston and a lower ratio than A-B.
    1. If there is no factual basis on which to ascertain how much head count is needed, then someone needs to get busy and construct one. This is a straightforward task that can be completed expeditiously, but until it's completed there should be no administrative hiring.

2. I hope you're comparing the ratio of student headcount to "total administrative costs", not student headcount to administrative headcount. The latter metric is obviously bogus, since it ignores both compensation and automation.

Default Congratulations to Shawn Kinney

I am confident that the town, the schools and the School Committee will be better off for his presence and his contributions.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/