Thread: Special Election for State Senate Seat -- Support Smulowitz

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Special Election for State Senate Seat -- Support Smulowitz

Just a reminder that there is an important special election in progress to choose the person who will replace Scott Brown as Wayland's State Senator on Beacon Hill. The Democratic primary is this coming Tuesday, April 13th. The general election will be on Tuesday, May 11th.There are two Democrats in the primary: Dr. Peter Smulowitz (of Needham) and Needham State Representative Lida Harkins. I am supporting Smulowitz. But I urge all primary voters to judge for yourselves by reading these candidates' bios (that I have pasted below -- taken unedited from their websites), or by visiting their websites: www.lidaharkins.com or www.petersmulowitz.com .

I am enthusiastically supporting Peter Smulowitz for this seat because Peter is not your typical politician. He is an emergency room physician. He is deeply engaged in his community. He is running to give us back our voice in government and to push for progress on the key challenges of our day: bringing good jobs to our district and building our economy; cutting the cost of health care; improving our schools; supporting local aid to ease the burden on our communities and homeowners; and preserving our environment through support for clean and renewable energy resources. Smulowitz is young, intelligent, and passionate about service. I think of him as being very much in the mold of our State Rep. Tom Conroy, in his native abilities and his inclination to study issues from all sides, grasp the essence and the details quickly and work to bring together people and resources to solve problems constructively and in new and better ways. I believe Smulowitz will be a fresh and effective voice as our State Senator.

If you find Peter Smulowitz's candidacy compelling, you can make a contribution to his election effort through his website or here: http://www.actblue.com/page/supportsmulowitz

The winner of this coming Tuesday's Democratic primary will face Wrenthem Republican Representative (and funeral home director) Richard Roth.

I am happy to try to address any questions about the race.

Thanks,

Jon.

Lida Harkins was born in Jersey City, New Jersey, to a General Motors autoworker, Paul McMahon, and an executive assistant, Lida McMahon. She was raised in Natick, MA where she attended a local elementary school. Harkins graduated from Marian High School in Framingham, MA, attended Regis College where she was awarded a degree in Psychology, and then earned a graduate degree from Boston College’s Program of Women in Politics and Government. She was the program’s first graduate to be elected to the Massachusetts General Court.

After having served as an elementary school teacher, Harkins was elected to the Needham School Committee. She served for six years while also directing a collaborative vocational training program for 13 towns in the Metrowest region. She has served on the Board of Directors for the Charles River Association for Retarded Citizens and is the Chair of the Needham Democratic Town Committee. She was first elected to the House of Representatives in 1988 and has since served the 13th Norfolk District.

During her tenure at the State House, Harkins has been devoted to improving public education, advancing equal rights for women and minorities, expanding access to healthcare for Massachusetts residents, and advocating for strengthened labor conditions. Her leadership has helped save municipalities billions of dollars, most notably in her role to reform the school building construction financing program and through the restructuring of special education reimbursement law.

Lida Harkins has lived in Needham, MA for 38 years, and has 3 children who were educated in the Needham Public School system. Two of her children currently reside in Needham and continue to be active in the community and school system. In her spare time, Representative Harkins enjoys spending time with her 10 grandchildren, traveling, and reading. Harkins also enjoys visiting Maine with her family during the summer.

Peter Smulowitz: Thank you for taking the time to learn more about Dr. Peter Smulowitz. Peter is an emergency physician at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and its community partner, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital – Needham. As a physician, health policy expert, and engaged member of his community Peter has spent his career fighting for his patients and for the health of communities and families. Peter is determined to fight for the best interests of Massachusetts residents, families, and businesses.

Peter is originally from California, where he attended public schools. He graduated from Cornell University with a degree in Biology and then attended medical school at the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine. Peter went on to earn a Masters Degree in Public Health from Harvard. Peter has lived in Massachusetts since starting his residency in Emergency Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in 2003. He and his wife Marcy live in the great town of Needham.

Peter’s interest in health care policy and government service began during a summer spent volunteering in Senator Edward Kennedy’s Washington, D.C. office in 1998. After earning his Masters in health policy, he then served from 2006-2007 as a health policy fellow for the Massachusetts State Senate Committee on Health Care Financing. In that position, he wrote a policy brief, “Restoring Value and Trust in our Health Care System: Achieving Real Medical Liability Reform with an Early Disclosure and Compensation Program,” that has been influential in advancing patient safety and liability reform in Massachusetts, including in a bill introduced by Senator Robert O’Leary Peter’s report is available here.

In his professional work, Peter currently serves as the co-chair of the Governmental Affairs Committee for the Massachusetts College of Emergency Physicians (MACEP). He works with both legislators and regulatory agencies to improve the conditions and systems in emergency departments across Massachusetts. He collaborated with State Senator James Timilty to file “An Act to Improve Access to Emergency Care,” which prompted DPH to take firm actions towards reducing crowding in our emergency department. He is currently working on behalf of MACEP to encourage passage of "Act Act Relative to Pandemic and Disaster Preparation and Response in the Commonwealth," an essential step to ensuring Massachusetts is adequately prepared for a pandemic or other disaster.

Peter has also played an active role in the local community. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of Needham Opportunities, Inc., an organization involved in the development of affordable housing in Needham. He is also a member of the Green Needham Collaborative. With both organizations, he is working to bring affordable, energy efficient housing developments to Needham and meet the requirements to make Needham a Green Community. He was elected to Town Meeting in Needham in 2008, and is an advocate for a new senior center to meet the needs of the town’s seniors while conserving Greene’s Field, part of the remaining open park and athletic field space in downtown Needham.

Peter believes in the fundamental relationship between protecting our environment and spurring job growth, and as State Senator will advance the clean energy sector as a key to building our state’s economy for the future. To start, the immediate institution of home weatherization and the associated job training can put local people back to work now. Then, tightening our efficiency standards, setting a price on carbon emissions, and promoting expanded investment in clean energy technologies will drive forward a long-term expansion of clean energy jobs.

Peter also was a founding member of the Needham for Obama group and is an active participant in Yes We Can Needham, a voice and platform for progressive ideas in Massachusetts. He writes a regular column for the Boston.com Needham page, where he shares his ideas about community issues as well as broader issues like health care in Massachusetts.

Peter speaks regularly both locally and nationwide on topics related to health reform and health policy, and during 2009 he served as the Massachusetts State Director for Doctors for America, working to put the energy of physicians behind the national push for health reform.

Default Thanks for posting this, Jon

I got a card in the mail from the Peter Smurlowitz campaign and was very impressed with his "100% Pro-Choice, 100% of the Time" stance and his support for gay marriage rights.

It takes a lot of courage to be so direct and unambiguous about issues like these, because he will undoubtedly lose votes and get flack for it. I have tremendous admiration for anyone who is so bold as to have convictions and stand by them - something we don't see enough of in politics today. So many politicians seem to have no backbone whatsoever, as they try to please both sides of an issue, seemingly unaware that they will ultimately end up disappointing everybody.

Peter Smulowitz gets high marks for courage and integrity, but also for his inexperience - he doesn't have the political baggage of someone who's been in politics for years, as his opponent has. He represents a fresh start and fresh ideas, so IMHO his inexperience, open-mindedness and lack of connections & debts to special interest groups, are all good things.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Default Richard Ross for State Senate

I, myself, will be awaiting the general election and voting for Richard Ross. Mr. Ross is Scott Brown's hand-picked successor to his seat. Why -- because the last thing we need to do in MA is add one more Democrat to the already over-populated Democratic majority in State Government.

If you're not happy with the way things are going in MA under Democratic leadership and want to learn more about Mr. Ross, visit http://www.voteross.org/issues.html to find out where he stands on the issues.

If you want to replace Scott Brown's independent-minded representation of our town with another of the same, then either Mr. Smulowitz or Ms. Harkins could ably fill the role.

Jeff B., I'm curious: when Republicans outnumber Democrats, do you also want to reduce that majority? Is your thinking only triggered when majorities exceed a certain threshold? Or is this simply a partisan perspective on the legistlature?

I fear that you may not be able to tell from tone (or lack thereof) that I'm asking seriously and earnestly, but I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Jeff B., I'm curious: when Republicans outnumber Democrats, do you also want to reduce that majority? Is your thinking only triggered when majorities exceed a certain threshold? Or is this simply a partisan perspective on the legistlature?

I fear that you may not be able to tell from tone (or lack thereof) that I'm asking seriously and earnestly, but I am.
    Jeff -- thanks for asking. I am against majorities, in general. It is bad for fair government. Looking backwards, I can fairly say that recent history has not been favorable in regards to any majority and the partisan agenda it pushes with that majority while alienating those in the minority.

I ordered a lawn sign recently that says "Vote Out All Incumbents -- We Need New Leaders" No mention of any party, nor any intended. My wife won't let me put it up, though, because she feels it will be misread as a message against Wayland politicians. While I might actually feel this way about Wayland politicians, in general, the purpose of the sign was to push for more equal representation. Also, there are no incumbents running in either of the major office races in Wayland this election cycle either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    Jeff -- thanks for asking. I am against majorities, in general. It is bad for fair government. Looking backwards, I can fairly say that recent history has not been favorable in regards to any majority and the partisan agenda it pushes with that majority while alienating those in the minority.
    Jeff B., I am receving alerts when posts come in to this thread and I just had to follow-up on this post of yours. I have never seen this perspective before. Two quick thoughts:

1. If majorities and majority rule are bad, then wouldn't that mean that Democracy must be a bad form of government? My understanding is that when minorities rule against the will of majorities, that's ususally known as a Monarchy or Oligarchy. So, what form of government do you support?

2. I am curious about the argument that it is somehow wrong or unfair that we are a overwhelmingly Democratic state when it comes to elected officials. All elected officials are, after all, elected. Which means they must go before the voters in their particular districts, etc. So the fact that Democrats overwhelmingly are elected is something that happens because of multiple individual choices made in multiple communities, were, apparently, the majority of epople in those communitities have preferred the positions of Democrats. So what is the argument against that? Surely, you can't simply decide that some peoples' votes shouldn't count, in order to enable people who lose elections to take office, can you? Or that some districts aren't allowed to vote Democratic? And if the majority in an particular district decides they liek the incumbent, what is the argument for denying them the right to re-elect that person? Refering back to my first point above, what part of Democracy would you eliminate or change?

It seems to me that these are difficult positions to defend, though I am open to hearing where you are coming from.

Thanks,

Jon.

I just read that Smulowitz is undecided about running again against Ross in the fall.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/n...o-Richard-Ross