Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Special Election for State Senate Seat -- Support Smulowitz

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    Jon, your minimization of the trappings of incumbency is surprising. Term limits are hard stops on your ability to continue your job. Elections are means to return to your job. Sure, people can occasionally be removed. But the hill to climb against a long-seated incumbent is steep due to the financial disparity.
    Ah, yes, I've heard about those enormous war chests held by all those Selectmen and school board members and other local officials that keep getting re-elected . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Saxton View Post
    Ah, yes, I've heard about those enormous war chests held by all those Selectmen and school board members and other local officials that keep getting re-elected . . . .
    I was referring to state and national races, not local ones.
    Last edited by Jeff Baron; 04-10-2010 at 08:30 AM.

A quick update on the State Senate race: Peter Smulowitz has been endorsed today by both the MetroWest Daily News and the Boston Globe. See:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/op...Senate-primary

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/needh...ter_smulowitz/

FYI, here's an excerpt from a letter that I sent to Richard Ross, Republican candidate for State Senate:

I've looked at your issues page and that of Peter Smulowitz. You're both in favor of jobs creation, lower taxes on businesses, and protecting the environment. Mr. Smulowitz's page indicates that he supports marriage equality and women's reproductive freedom. I'm interested to know where you stand on these issues and on the death penalty (I'll be asking Mr. Smulowitz for his position on the latter).

If and when I get a response back from Mr. Ross, I'll post it here.

Jeff, I found this article online from the Needham Times, regarding gay marriage:

Ross cited his vote against placing constitutional ban on gay marriage as an example of his ability to move beyond partisan politics. Ross initially was in favor of banning gay marriage but later changed this view when he voted on the issue for a second time.

“I’m thoughtful enough that when folks did start to marry and the world hadn’t changed, I mean, if you’re telling me the world comes to an end, it must come to an end or I’ll take a second look,” Ross said, noting he was moved by the “great families” he saw form after gay marriage became legal in Massachusetts.

“I actually remember sitting at my desk in tears. It was such a relief to put that vote,” Ross said. “If I didn’t take that vote, in a short period of time, I would’ve felt ashamed of myself.”

He did get an A+ from the Gun Owners Action League and an A- from the NRA.

He put his name on "Laura's Law", a "Right to Know" bill promoted by Massachusetts Citizens for Life.

Not a lot of data points, but that's what I could find.

Peter Smulowitz opposes the death penalty. No word back yet from Mr. Ross.

Here's a note that I just sent to Mr. Ross via his campaign web site. I hope that it's self-explanatory--if not, let me know. He and I haven't connected directly (and likely won't), so I don't know his stance on capital punishment.

I sent Representative Ross a message through this forum [his web site] last week and was pleased (and surprised) that he took the time to call me in response. I'm a school board member in Wayland who asked a few questions about how Mr. Ross differentiates himself from Peter Smulowitz given the similarity of some of their positions on their respective web sites. Mr. Ross left a detailed but clear message on my voicemail.

I'm generally inclined to vote Democrat, but willing to consider Mr. Ross given that he took the time to respond, that I found his response to be thoughtful (and not counter to my thinking [in this case, on jobs creation]), and that it's not as if the Democratic majority in the State Senate is likely to be threatened by Mr. Ross' election. [grin]

I tried calling him back today, but his cell phone voicemail was full. I don't need a further response, but wanted to let him know that I was appreciative of his reaching out.

If you'd like to get to know Peter, people are invited to attend a meet and greet for him at Broomstones Curling Club this Friday at 8:00pm. Here are the details:

When: Friday, April 30, 2010
    8:00 - 10:00pm

Where: Broomstones Curling Club
    Curling Lane (138 Rice Road), Wayland
    (See http://www.broomstones.com/ for directions and more info about Curling)

What: Meet Dr. Peter Smulowitz and see for yourself why so many enthusiastically support him.
    Hors d'oeuvres
    Cash bar - Wine & Beer
    Enjoy Music in the warm ambiance of Broomstones Curling Club
    Ample off-street parking at Broomstones

Donations not required but gratefully accepted: $35, $75, $125, $250, or $500 (max allowed)
    or whatever you can give (checks payable to: The Committee to Elect Peter Smulowitz) or
    donate on line at https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/entity/23444

Who: Your hosts, Matt Shear, Jennifer Leichter, and Joshua Scherz

How: RSVP not required but appreciated; questions answered
    Matt Shear: shalias1@mac.com, 508-358-5656
    Please pass this invite on to anyone who might be interested.

Peter Smulowitz has been endorsed by the Boston Globe in his race against Republican Representative Richard Ross. The special election is this coming Tuesday, May 11.

To learn more about the two candidates see this very informative video of the candidates forum held in Norfolk on Tuesday, May 4th:

<http://www.norfolkcable.com/norfolkc...5_minutes.html>
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 05-08-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: to make link clickable

Default And There's More

Peter Smulowitz has been endorsed by the Boston Globe in his race against Republican Representative Richard Ross. The special election is this coming Tuesday, May 11.

To learn more about the two candidates see this very informative video of the candidates forum held in Norfolk on Tuesday, May 4th:

<http://www.norfolkcable.com/norfolkcable.com/State_Senate_Debate_45_minutes.html>
    Not surprising that one of the most liberal newspapers in America endorses a Democrat. The Metrowest Daily News, a less politically biased newspaper, endorsed Richard Ross this week (http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/t...r-state-Senate), citing Smulowitz' inexperience and the lack of need for additional Democrats in the State Senate. In addition, but not surprisingly, US Senator Scott Brown has also endorsed Mr. Ross' campaign this week (http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/t...te-Senate-race).

I wonder, is the MDN a less politically biased newspaper? I don't have a clue, not having a sense of who they've endorsed in the past.

While this race has no real incumbent, I'd say that Mr. Ross is more "incumbenty." He currently holds elected office (as a State Rep) and is of the same party as the prior holder, Scott Brown (or is Senator Brown technically the current holder?). Therefore, Jeff B., I think you are compelled by your recently stated anti-incumbent stance to vote for Mr. Smulowitz! [grin]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    Not surprising that one of the most liberal newspapers in America endorses a Democrat. The Metrowest Daily News, a less politically biased newspaper, endorsed Richard Ross this week (http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/t...r-state-Senate), citing Smulowitz' inexperience and the lack of need for additional Democrats in the State Senate. In addition, but not surprisingly, US Senator Scott Brown has also endorsed Mr. Ross' campaign this week (http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/t...te-Senate-race).
    I read the MDN endorsement of Richard Ross. It comes down to three points.

1. There aren't enough Republicans in the MA legislature.
    2. Mr. Ross is an insider, Mr. Smulowitz is an outsider; insiders have a better understanding of the legislative process.
    3. Mr. Ross will be more likely to be able to work with both parties.

Let's examine each in turn.

1. The first point says nothing about whether Mr. Ross is more capable than Mr. Smulowitz, and therefore isn't really an endorsement of the former.
    2. All else being equal, I tend to agree with the MDN on the second point in that people who have been been involved in politics tend to be better at navigating same. On this point, however, the MDN is essentially making a pro-incumbent statement at a time when many, Jeff B. included, hold anti-incumbent sentiments.
    3. The third point is oddly constructed. Being in a decided minority, Mr. Ross will need to be able to work with both parties. (Actually, that's not really true. He'll only need to be able to work with one party--that party just happens not to be his own.) My bet is that Mr. Smulowitz will be able to work with that same one party as well as or better than Mr. Ross.

In short, in my opinion, the MDN endorses Mr. Ross in the weakest of ways.

As an aside, I've recently spoken with both men. I was impressed that both responded to the inquiries that I directed to their respective campaign offices. Politically, I'm fairly in synch with both, Mr. Smulowitz a bit more than Mr. Ross. As Mr. Ross said to me, in just about any other state, he'd be a moderate Democrat.

In the interest of bipartisanship and getting things done, I'd certainly like to see Republicans like Mr. Ross displace those of the Jim DeMint variety (to name just one of many disasters "representing" the people). Sadly, the far right of the Republican party is driving their car (for some reason, I can't seem to get the image of the end of Thelma and Louise out of my mind).

It seems a strange thing for a Republican Rep to report that he would be a moderate Democrat in any other state. Then why is he a Reoublican in this state? Why not at least be a conservative Democrat? At least that way he might have actually been able to make some kind of difference as a state rep in his district. This is not the first time I have heard very strange things come from Richard Ross. I went to Norfolk to watch Mr. Roos and Dr. Smulowitz participate in a candidate forum (I posted the local cable channel's video of that session earlier). I have to say that I was struck by how a three-term Representative could have so little grasp of the major issues that our Commonwealth is facing. He was literally unable to talk with any granularity about the three topics of the evening: issues of job creation, containing health care costs or increasing revenues to the state. The best he could muster were vague, general statements about getting governemnt out of the way and lowering taxes. Coudn't even cite a single piece of legislation that he had worked on on any of these issues, except to say that he had supported Romney in the passage of the Massachusetts health care reform. Smulowitz on the other hand, was extremely compelling and fact-based, pointing out speicifc ideas and initiatives he would take and what impact he would expct them to have. He also caught Ross out on a vote he took just last week along party lines against a measure to require transparency on the use of governemnt tax incentives to big business that belied his claims to be an independent voice for the people and someone who supports governemntal accountability.

Ross seems to be running on the platform that he would be the best advocate because he is a veteran of Beacon Hill, not a Democrat, grew up in the district and has run a funeral home there for 35 years that he took over from his father after he dropped out of college. But to be an effective advocate, you need to be able to understand and work with very complex public policy issues and to think critically about them so as to contribute good ideas and to innovate. But Ross clearly cannot do this. In fact, he seems, like most other Republicans, to be quickly abandoning his moderation and adopting "Tea Party" talking points. So, while he can show up and vote on issues, and represent the 10% of MA voters who are registered Republicans, he can't really be an effective voice for his district.

Smulowitz, a physician who cares deeply about making people, families and communities healthy in the broadest sense of that term, has the cast of mind, passion, intelligence and independent professionalism to be an extremely effective advocate for our district. He will be able to delve deeply into the challenges we face here in Norfolk, Bristol, Middlesex District and in the state more broadly, and bring is considerable talents to pulling people together and forging innovative solutions. And, though a very independent thinker, as a Democrat, he will actually have the capacity to work on Beacon Hill to make a difference for our district, which is what we most need in a State Senator. Smulowitz represents a new generation of leadership for our state bringing the highest levels of professionalism and capabilities and demanding the highest standards of accountabiity and responsibility to the voters. A vote for Smulowitz tomorrow is a vote for a better future for our Town and our Commonwealth.

It seems a strange thing for a Republican Rep to report that he would be a moderate Democrat in any other state. Then why is he a Reoublican in this state?
    Sorry for not being clearer. Mr. Ross was commenting on how other states might view his positions, NOT how he characterizes them.

Today we have a chance to finally elect a state senator for our district who is smart, independent minded, and will work hard for Wayland. Vote for Peter Smulowitz today!