Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 65 of 65

Thread: Don Bustin for Selectman?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wayland MA 463 Old Conn Path
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    Do you think it is normal to have the assessed value of your home sent in anonymously to the town claiming the town is being cheated during a campaign?
    Jeff, wow... that happened?
    I thought I've heard everything. What a bone headed move on the part of that person?
    I'd be curious (off line) to hear how the BoA responded to that. Not sure what laws were broken in that instance but it doesn't feel right to me.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wayland MA
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    In the end, Jeff, I talked about flexibility. As it relates to your position on the WSC (and this is ALL I'm discussing), I think my ultimate beef is my (and I share this thought with a large number of others) perception of your arrogance. It never seems to be that you could be wrong. It never seems to be that you acknowledge the other side has a point.
    I don't think that this is a fair characterization. When the School Committee prematurely made its decision regarding the ES reconfiguration, I acknowledged the error and supported continuing the discussion. Several times during that discussion, I said that the decision was close, and that reasonably people might come to the other conclusion. You might look here for more on this.

    During the discussion earlier this year about education technology, the Finance Committee said that we hadn't done enough homework. I didn't stick stubbornly to the original proposal, but rather, agreed to scale things back while working on a more detailed plan.

    I could go on, but these are two areas where you and I have perhaps had the most public disagreement; I hope that you get the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    One side note, don't give Joe Nolan credit for navigating the political waters. He hasn't. Tom Fay and Steve Correia come to my mind as far more successful on this front. Both SOS-endorsed, but both (in my mind) willing to listen to everyone. Maybe that's not true either, but that's the perception.
    Perhaps I should have said that Joe Nolan has navigated the waters with the least damage. Damage is inevitable. I didn't consider Tom and Steve only because they are so new to their elected service. Ditto for Malcolm Astley.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    I don't think that this is a fair characterization. When the School Committee prematurely made its decision regarding the ES reconfiguration, I acknowledged the error and supported continuing the discussion. Several times during that discussion, I said that the decision was close, and that reasonably people might come to the other conclusion. You might look here for more on this.

    During the discussion earlier this year about education technology, the Finance Committee said that we hadn't done enough homework. I didn't stick stubbornly to the original proposal, but rather, agreed to scale things back while working on a more detailed plan.

    I could go on, but these are two areas where you and I have perhaps had the most public disagreement; I hope that you get the point.
    Yes, I get it. I could also make arguments the other way, but no point.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Perhaps I should have said that Joe Nolan has navigated the waters with the least damage. Damage is inevitable. I didn't consider Tom and Steve only because they are so new to their elected service. Ditto for Malcolm Astley.
    Joe Nolan has had some of the most damage I can think of. I stand by my commentary on Tom and Steve. I wouldn't add Malcolm to the list.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wayland MA
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron
    Check out nearly every election sign placement and you'll see Bladon/Butler signs posted together...the two candidates being pushed by the SOS crowd (reminds me of similar sign-holding/placing projects in races past that I have e-mail evidence in regards to the coordination of by SOS).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach
    Yes, I've seen a number of Bladon-Butler sign pairings. I've also seen some Bladon-Kinney combinations. As I see it, all three of those candidates bring serious credentials to their bids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    I have not seen more than a couple Bladon-Kinney combos. I know exactly where all the Dieffenbach/Astley combos were last year, and the Bladon/Butler ones are in the same places this year. Certainly not in every case, but I am proof positive that SOS coordinates these sign placements.
    I took advantage of my drive to the Landfill to compile the following statistics on political lawn signs. I covered most of 126, 27, 20, 30, Old Connecticut Path, Moore Road, Rice Road, and Oak Street. I don't claim that this to be scientific, but it appears to undermine the "Bladon-Butler" myth: they relatively rarely occur together, and they occur with almost the exact same frequency as Kinney-Bustin signs.

    • Kinney signs alone: 42 (this includes 3 co-locations of Kinney and State Senate candidate Richard Ross)
    • Butler signs alone: 18 (this includes 3 co-locations of Butler and State Senate candidate Peter Smulowitz)
    • Bladon signs alone: 8
    • Bustin signs alone: 1
    • Bladon-Butler combinations: 6
    • Kinney-Bustin combinations: 6
    • Kinney-Bladon combinations: 3
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 05-08-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added Oak Street

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    117

    Default

    The election tomorrow is exciting

    I’m hoping, and assuming, that the issues and positions of the various candidates are clear and therefore people who vote tomorrow actually get to make a real choice. This is not always the case in elections. We have a couple candidates advocating for “reform”, open and accountable government, for more fiscal responsibility. Others seemingly content with the way things are. If you’re unclear how I fit into this breakdown, it’s never too late to visit my website www.oneWayland.org.

    Tomorrow, it will be interesting to see what everyone decides to do. For my part, it has been good to talk to so many people, you’ve all been nice and done so much to help me be better informed. Thank you.

    donBustin@oneWayland.org

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •