Thread: Don Bustin for Selectman?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Don Bustin for Selectman?

I know it's early, but I'm interested in understanding the positions of the various candidates for Selectman. I don't know if this DF is the right place for this, but since Don posts here quite regularly, I thought it'd be a good way to get to know him and his intentions better. So Don, if you wouldn't mind, could you give us some fodder to chew on? I wouldn't mind hearing from the opponent Mr. Bladon as well, but I don't think I've ever seen him post here?

Thanks.
    Carl

Default John Bladon for Selectman?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Rosenblatt View Post
    I wouldn't mind hearing from the opponent Mr. Bladon as well, but I don't think I've ever seen him post here?
    I agree, I would like to see Mr. Bladon post here and give us something to chew on.
    At least Don has been here and has already given us plenty.

Default Scary, but True

Thanks Carl for bringing this up and yes, I am hopeful that we can have a meaningful discussion and explore what it means to be a good Selectman and whether I, or John, do or don't measure up. Wouldn't this be a great forum for candidates to present themselves and argue it all out?

I haven't been posting lately because I've been writing things for a website that will attempt to “explain everything” and if I read these eNews discussions, my mind heads off in a new direction, and it's very distracting. I just came here now because on the website I was giving directions to here, as a source of town information, and wanted to make sure of the specific “path”. Was I surprised to see my name up in lights!

Hopefully, the website will be up and running this coming weekend. It will give “plenty of fodder” and I'm counting on all of you to let me have it. I do support openness and honesty. You could guess that, right?

I'll be back and I'm sure we'll have lots of fun, until then,

donBustin@verizon.net

My apologies for being away so long, things have somehow become busier. First thing I noticed upon returning was the two Jeff’s “War” of words and I went “oh my!” You might know that I feel discussion forums are wonderful venues for citizen information sharing and have great potential and that this discussion forum is the best one in town. I also thinik of this as entertainment and of people who post as “content producers”. Seems the “executive producer” might take the “boys” aside to discuss the entertainment value of their “content”. What if a new-to-the-site viewer, seeking information/entertainment, clicked on a prominent “educational” thread and found pages and pages of vitriol. They might go, What?” Leave, never to be seen again…

Welcome to John O’Brien

A new poster! One who’s enthusiastic and articulate too. Great! (c’mon, I’m not saying other posters aren’t) I’m curious as to your (John’s) initial take on this discussion forum? What did you expect to find? Hope it would provide? Thoughts about it in general? Sorry to see your “running” thread has yet to find fleet-footed partners. Me? I’m too old to run. Well, I am running, but that’s another story.

Yes, there is an election

I would like to explore how the discussion forum might be used to help people prepare for the election in a month. There are three contested position: DPW, School Committee, Selectmen and many Warrant Articles (final versions will soon be available. I do know of “waylanddebates.org” but as I feared, it’ll be hard to get people to start using it).

What shall we do? Information? Debate? Slander? Any ideas? (Let’s see if we can make it both informative and entertaining.)

I don’t have a final vision of what I’d like to see happen here. I also have a somewhat special interest, so I’m looking for your suggestions. There’s such potential, we should explore it. I’m going to be busy but will participate in whatever we want to do.

I await your response. Let’s begin.

donBustin@oneWayland.org

Quote Originally Posted by don Bustin View Post
    I await your response. Let’s begin.
    donBustin@oneWayland.org
    So Don, I have some campaign questions for both you and John Bladon:

1. Do you feel that Wayland citizens should be given line item decision power when voting on override ballot questions?
    Put another way, would you advocate not passing any override going forward unless it posed to the citizens as a menu override?

2. How do you feel about asking or forcing all town administrators to take an immediate pay cut of say, 10% to show sacrifice along with other Wayland citizens?

3. How do you feel about asking our rank and file town employees to take a pay cut of equal or lessor (say 8%) to also show sacrifice along with other Wayland citizens?

4. Do you think that large groups of elected and appointed officials, including highly paid administrators should be organizing and congregating at private meetings which
    are closed to the general public and even more importantly when those private meetings are hosted by ballot question committees, political action committees and
    most notably under the condition that those committees have supported and have played a significant role in getting those same officials elected?

5. How do you feel about representative town meeting for Wayland?

6. How do you feel about the Official Ballot article for Wayland?

7. Do you think that people want their voting privacy at town meeting and if so why haven't they asked for it very often?

8. Do you think that social intimidation exists in Wayland in Wayland town meeting which biases or coerces the vote?

9. How do you feel about the town investing in Electronic Voting Equipment and why?

I would be interested to hear what you and John Bladon have to say... and at that, I'd like to hear what anybody else has to say.

Thanks.. Alan

Alan, this is great! Let's get some specific questions out there. Your list might just a little heavily weighted toward the stuff you are currently mired in.

Perhaps we ought also talk about some of the non-Town Meeting procedure-related articles, such as:
    • the 30 Recreation Proposal
    • the Wayland Rail Trail
    • the Affordable Housing Trust
    • the Community Pool

If you're for cutting salaries (item 3 from Alan's list above), would you therefore advocate amending the Town Clerk's salary article (Article 13) to cut it by a similar amount?

What, if any, services would you recommend targeting for consolidating with other nearby towns?

If people have suggestions for questions, please post them here. The WaylandeNews Editorial Board is currently drafting its Candidate Q&A and welcomes your thoughts.