Thread: Board of Selectmen Election in 2010

Default Board of Selectmen Election in 2010

As with the School Committee election thread, it might be useful for the next two months to have a place where we can explore the Selectmen’s election. What will the issues be? What makes a good Selectman? Who are the candidates? Etc.

Let’s start with: I assume Michael Tichnor is running for reelection. Has anyone announced they’re running against him?

I would like someone to help me determine if my initial feelings about Michael Tichnor are misplaced. I feel that Mr. Tichnor and I do not share many of the same values. As examples, I would like the town to: actively involve/engage its citizens, creating a cooperative/collaborative working space, welcoming each and everyone’s participation; be truthful and willingly provide the information needed for its citizens to act in an informed manner; work to reconcile differences between citizens, not aggravate those differences; when making difficult decisions, have a tactful ability to “get people on board”, etc. On any of these I feel the Selectmen, and Mr. Tichnor as a “senior” member, have not performed well.

Perhaps you can show me that I’ve misjudged Mr. Tichnor and that he could become the leader I desire, but short of that, my initial reaction is that I would like to find and assist someone else who’s running. Could any of you direct me to someone who is willing to run? If that information is not for public consumption yet, I can be emailed. I’d love to collect signatures...

donBustin@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by don Bustin View Post
    As with the School Committee election thread, it might be useful for the next two months to have a place where we can explore the Selectmen’s election. What will the issues be? What makes a good Selectman? Who are the candidates? Etc.

Let’s start with: I assume Michael Tichnor is running for reelection. Has anyone announced they’re running against him?

I would like someone to help me determine if my initial feelings about Michael Tichnor are misplaced. I feel that Mr. Tichnor and I do not share many of the same values. As examples, I would like the town to: actively involve/engage its citizens, creating a cooperative/collaborative working space, welcoming each and everyone’s participation; be truthful and willingly provide the information needed for its citizens to act in an informed manner; work to reconcile differences between citizens, not aggravate those differences; when making difficult decisions, have a tactful ability to “get people on board”, etc. On any of these I feel the Selectmen, and Mr. Tichnor as a “senior” member, have not performed well.

Perhaps you can show me that I’ve misjudged Mr. Tichnor and that he could become the leader I desire, but short of that, my initial reaction is that I would like to find and assist someone else who’s running. Could any of you direct me to someone who is willing to run? If that information is not for public consumption yet, I can be emailed. I’d love to collect signatures...

donBustin@verizon.net
    First off, let me say I'm offering a response on an individual ONLY because he holds public office. As I've said many times in recent threads, these boards are about issues. Critical discussion of individuals makes no sense here in any other context than to discuss the actions of public officials. That said...

Don, in my opinion, you're spot on here. He is not good for Wayland, and has taken an attitude of leadership through intimidation, versus cooperation. He represents division and polarization versus reconciliation and community building. Even on issues where I agree with his stance, I find his tactics repelling my support, rather than pulling it in. The debacle of this recent town meeting when articles were passed over to quickly get to the reconsideration, and where his blatant disrespect for the Moderator was apparent is an example of what I'm talking about. I can't speak to all of the Selectmen here, but in this case and at least one other, you got it.

I know of nobody right now who is collecting signatures. You should know that running against him is difficult, though, as Mr. Tichnor is right in the pocket of the SOS gang. I have personally witnessed him actively handing out the SOS cheat sheets at the polling places in recent past elections (approaching people in the parking lot and thrusting forward cheat sheets along with his verbal commentary). Exepct them to line up right behind his campaign and, as is their modus operendi, actively trash any opposing candidate behind the scenes -- even more so this time as they are not going to be a BQC, so they are free to endorse candidates and spend all their time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by don Bustin View Post
    Let’s start with: I assume Michael Tichnor is running for reelection.
    Well Don, just letting you know this is now a false assumption. He's not running. See http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/n...-stepping-down

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    Well Don, just letting you know this is now a false assumption. He's not running. See http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/n...-stepping-down
    Jeff, Mr. Tichnor will be replaced with a hand selected SOS candidate prior to the end date of Tuesday March 23rd and no, I will not venture a public guess as to who that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Jeff, Mr. Tichnor will be replaced with a hand selected SOS candidate prior to the end date of Tuesday March 23rd and no, I will not venture a public guess as to who that will be.
    No doubt, Alan. Here's hoping that (a) that person is a reasonable candidate or (b) there is opposition good enough. Also not so sure that being endorsed by SOS is such a good thing anymore, given their increasingly sketchy reputation.

No doubt, Alan. Here's hoping that (a) that person is a reasonable candidate or (b) there is opposition good enough. Also not so sure that being endorsed by SOS is such a good thing anymore, given their increasingly sketchy reputation.
    I'm curious what DF members think of the above post, which to me is a clear violation of the first message board regulation, "1. Do not engage in personal attacks, defamation, libel or flaming." Earlier in this thread, Mr. Baron takes Mr. Tichnor to task, but at least backs his attack up with a few alleged quasi-examples. In this most recent instance, however, Mr. Baron does nothing more than make a personal (well, okay, organizational) attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    I'm curious what DF members think of the above post, which to me is a clear violation of the first message board regulation, "1. Do not engage in personal attacks, defamation, libel or flaming." Earlier in this thread, Mr. Baron takes Mr. Tichnor to task, but at least backs his attack up with a few alleged quasi-examples. In this most recent instance, however, Mr. Baron does nothing more than make a personal (well, okay, organizational) attack.
    Sorry, forgot we were in the old Soviet Union on this Board. My reference to reputation is related to SOS' recent deceptive tactics around YES4WHS, discussed on this site, WVN, and the Town Crier. I thought it was clear enough, but apparently not for all.

Posing another question, I wonder what DF members think of Mr. Dieffenbach's consistent defense of SOS and lack of opinion on their deceptive tactics?

Sorry, forgot we were in the old Soviet Union on this Board. My reference to reputation is related to SOS' recent deceptive tactics around YES4WHS, discussed on this site, WVN, and the Town Crier. I thought it was clear enough, but apparently not for all.

Posing another question, I wonder what DF members think of Mr. Dieffenbach's consistent defense of SOS and lack of opinion on their deceptive tactics?
    Jeff, the DF has rules. You agreed to them in becoming a member.

I was not aware that the "old Soviet Union" was known for attempting to create an atmosphere of civility.

As for deceptive tactics, I'm reminded of a great line from Phoebe on Friends, "Hello Pot, this is Kettle. You're black."

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    That's odd. I had understood there was to be a town election during which all registered citizens over 18 were entitled to vote.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 03-05-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: to clarify who can vote

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    That's odd. I had understood there was to be a town election during which all registered citizens over 18 were entitled to vote.
    Yes Kim, thats true too.