Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viva Las Wayland!

Default Thai experience

Haven't been back to Viva yet (not planning on until the summer) but did try the Thai place on Rte 20. (take out). People behind the counter were extremely friendly and helpful in selecting entrees, service was quick, price not outrageous, but the food was only fair. Possibly poor choices on our part of the entrees (although they were suggested... hmmmm... ). They were not terribly flavorful (read that as "bland"). I do plan on trying this one again soon, and asking for a bit more spice, and I'd recommend that others give it a try and post what you think.

-C

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Rosenblatt View Post
    Haven't been back to Viva yet (not planning on until the summer) but did try the Thai place on Rte 20. (take out). People behind the counter were extremely friendly and helpful in selecting entrees, service was quick, price not outrageous, but the food was only fair. Possibly poor choices on our part of the entrees (although they were suggested... hmmmm... ). They were not terribly flavorful (read that as "bland"). I do plan on trying this one again soon, and asking for a bit more spice, and I'd recommend that others give it a try and post what you think.

-C
    Carl, we've eaten at the Thai place several times, and have really enjoyed it. The kids love the pineapple fried rice, and I've enjoyed the Pad Thai, but I confess we haven't done anything very adventurous there yet.

My family ate at Viva over the weekend, and were impressed by how much it had improved. The food was really good (and each of the four of us ordered an entree from a different part of the menu so we had a nice variety to review). The service continues to be exceptionally friendly. Only complaints: the service continues to be slow, and the kids menu could use a little more diversity (my daughter's not a big chicken eater, and there wasn't a lot for her to choose from - she ended up getting fajitas from the adult menu, and as it was much more than she needed, we brought home leftovers for another meal the next day). We asked, but they weren't quite flexible enough to make her a kid-sized version of the fajitas. No big deal though - this was much improved. And I'm betting it's going to just keep getting better as they are clearly listening to what customers want and responding.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 04-13-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: to fix grammar

I thought this thread started out about the Mexican place...but realized it went a little deeper than that...My two cents...I'm a huge Mexican fan...My Mother in Law is from Mexico...and she lives with us...she's 80-years old...so when she speaks about mexican food...I listen...Our experience was similiar to Jeff's...and we chalked it up to opening night...but on the other hand...my wife and I are in sales and typically you get one shot at making a first impression...and our experience was dissapointing...you'd think that opening night would be the time to shine...Food got an okay from Mother in law and us...service got a Zero...decor...we had to change booths because the booth we sat in first had duck tape covering up holes...again you'd think that opening night would be their chance to show that they are here to stay etc...all that said...we've been back 4 times since..but just for Drinks and Dessert...and we can't complain about the bar and the desserts...we're just hesitant to go back for dinner...so my suggestion to the negative feedback above is go eat someplace else...and go there for a nite cap and a dessert...

John, I'd suggest you give it one more chance for dinner. My husband is a huge mole fan. Our first visit he said, "This mole tastes like it came out of a can." Second visit, "Wow, this is really good." Fajitas first visit: "I make way better than this." Second visit: "Wow, these are great!" It was a totally different experience. The guacamole was great. (Food-wise my only complaint would be the rice which was very plain and boring, and thinking back I don't think there were tomatoes with the fajitas - there is almost nothing that isn't better with tomatoes on it...)

That said, I hope you were seated in the booth right by the bathroom, because that's where we were in our second visit, and we had a duct-taped seat -- I'm hoping that's the only one.

My wife and I went over to Viva for Lunch today and had a very good experience. She had gone previously right after the opening and did not have a very good experience. But today, the service was great, we were in and out in under an hour, and our meals were very good. She had the Tostadas Tinga and I had Chicken Enchiladas Verdes - both very good. Also, the Chips were much better this time, too (always a bad sign when a mexican restaurant has bad chips). I agree with Kim and encourage others who were disappointed on earlier visits to give it another shot. We plan to go back for a dinner with our kids (who all LOVE mexican food) and hopefully we will not be disappointed. It would be great if Viva can be successful in that location so we can have another good spot in Wayland.

Also, Kim, I believe the duct-taped seats were fixed. My wife commented on the new leather booth seats since she had a duct-taped one on her prior visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    John, I'd suggest you give it one more chance for dinner. My husband is a huge mole fan. Our first visit he said, "This mole tastes like it came out of a can." Second visit, "Wow, this is really good." Fajitas first visit: "I make way better than this." Second visit: "Wow, these are great!" It was a totally different experience. The guacamole was great. (Food-wise my only complaint would be the rice which was very plain and boring, and thinking back I don't think there were tomatoes with the fajitas - there is almost nothing that isn't better with tomatoes on it...)

That said, I hope you were seated in the booth right by the bathroom, because that's where we were in our second visit, and we had a duct-taped seat -- I'm hoping that's the only one.
    We definitely will but we have our favorite spots...two suggestions for Great Mexican food...Taquiera Mexico in Waltham...it's right off Moody Street up towards the Main street (Route 20) side...cheap but very very good...lousy slow service but great cheap Mexican food..another great spot...and I forget the name...it's right on Route 135 in Framingham...just as you cross over into Framingham on the left hand side (if you're coming from the East heading west)...it's basicaly below street level so don't miss it...and our staple has always been Accapulcos in Sudbury...we've been going there for about 8 years...and continue to do so...they've got to know us so well...we don't even get menus when we go there..they just bring out our food...

Oh well...I believe in giving people/businesses etc...second chances...and these guys failed...we took the kids there last night...first ones there around 5:30PM...we were greeted nicely...sat down...got some chips and salsa...some water...and were ready to order...that took about 10-mins...the waitress was there but didn't come back over to our table...not sure why...so that was dissapointing...but we ordered and time went by...again, we were the only ones there...time goes by again and it took about 30-mins for them to bring out the food...tacos for the kids...and I got the chicken enchelidas with Mole...my wife for chicken and Steak combo fajitas...with corn tortillas...okay...my enchelidas were cold...not luke warm...cold...if it took 30-mins to bring them...I figure they should be hot...my wife's tortillas looked like they had been sitting out all night...hard and cold...she sent them back and got new ones...but come on guys!!! So Service wise they failed...Food wise...failed...sorry but we're probably not going back for food...we'll still go to the bar for drinks and dessert...Shape up over there!!! Go to Accapulcos and see how it's done...I've never had a cold meal there...and they are very very quick...if you want to compete they are the biggest competition out there for Mexican food...I seriously want this place to succeed...it's so close to our house...which is what kept us going back to Morns (plus they had great Thai food)...so shape up and get it right...

Viva doesn't just serve food out of a can ... they serve minors!

It's not often one is bested by the Chateau on this metric, but to be fair, Viva's response appears to be the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Viva doesn't just serve food out of a can ... they serve minors!
    The Anthony Hopkins role that this brings to mind is just really disturbing.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

RIP Viva.

(Here are extra characters because the DF inexplicably requires a post to be at least 10 characters.)

Quite surprising they lasted as long as they did. Looking forward to a good Chinese alternative now... hopeful hopeful hopeful!