Thread: Discussion of Forum Policies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Discussion of Forum Policies

I am opening this thread for discussion of Discussion Forum policies. If anyone would like to voice their objections or provide their suggestions, etc. this is the place. That way we can leave the discussion in other threads cleaner and focused on their topics.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    I didn't say you didn't have a policy. I just said it was flawed.
    I can't think of another case of redaction that you did to substantiate this uniformity claim. Enlighten me.
    But even if you do, that doesn't mean its not a flawed policy.

Alan, here is an example of when we implemented this same policy in the past:
    Our School Reconfiguration (see two consecutive posts from Jeff Dieffenbach and Jeff Baron)

and here is an entire thread discussing it:
    Edits and forum management
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 02-02-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: to make links easier to read

Default Enews on iPhone

Kim,
    With your updated site, when I try to view it on my iPhone (which uses Safari for the iPhone) I get an RSS feed of sorts...
    I used to be able to get to the discussion forum from a regular browser-like interface on the phone.

With your new change, I can't get to the DF.

Perhaps you could look into this.

BTW: This is sort of a forum policy... the policy of how its displayed on a mini-browser like an iPhone.
    Last edited by AlanJReiss; 02-03-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Always clean up... always and my fingers are getting fatter.

Kim,
    With your updated site, when I try to view it on my iPhone (which uses Safari for the iPhone) I get an RSS feed of sorts...
    I used to be able to get to the discussion forum from a regular browser-like interface on the phone.

With your new change, I can't get to the DF.

Perhaps you could look into this.

BTW: This is sort of a forum policy... the policy of how its displayed on a mini-browser like an iPhone.
    Hi Alan, glad to hear you've checked out our mobile site! At the bottom of the page is a switch to turn off the mobile site, and then it will return to the site you are used to on your computer.

If others have an opinion on it, weigh in and let me know what you think of the mobile site -- I thought it was an improvement because on your mobile there's just too much stuff there on the regular home page, but there are things you lose to. I wouldn't have installed the mobile site, however, if there hadn't been a turn-off switch.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've been in California all week and into next week....
    So I just tried your suggestion and I don't see a DF button... or way to switch off the mini-browser interface.

I don't know how much control you have over the presentation of the mini-browser but if you can control it then my suggestion would be to keep all the feeds as-is but always make the top link or top feed the link to the DF

This is all you need to do to make this very useful on a mobile phone.

I've been in California all week and into next week....
    So I just tried your suggestion and I don't see a DF button... or way to switch off the mini-browser interface.

I don't know how much control you have over the presentation of the mini-browser but if you can control it then my suggestion would be to keep all the feeds as-is but always make the top link or top feed the link to the DF

This is all you need to do to make this very useful on a mobile phone.
    Alan, I'm not sure why you're not seeing the Mobile On/Off switch (it's at the bottom of each page, just scroll down all the way), but I did come up with a solution which I think will work for you. At the top of the page, right on the line that says "WaylandeNews" there is a drop-down arrow. When you select that, you will see the second menu option is Discussion Forum. Chose that and you'll get a page with a few links to Discussion Forum pages.

Now that you have easier access to the forum, feel free to weigh in on that question I posed for you in the SOS thread.

Enjoy your trip!