Gentlemen, I believe the debate over the valuation of the email list is an exercise in futility.

(1) it doesn't matter. As Alan pointed out, the value of the list is not material - according to the OCPF, SOS was entitled to share its list with Yes4WHS and their only initially unfulfilled obligation was to report it, which they initially did not think to do, but then remedied.

(2) it is extremely difficult to value an email list. John and Alan have argued that the value is the savings associated with emailing v. USPS mailing, but I can't find any source anywhere that values lists that way. Ben argues that email lists are available very cheap, and while I know that's true, perhaps you couldn't just buy a list of Wayland email addresses so easily. When I did searches "value of an email list" or "cost of an email list", I got tremendous ranges, from "zilch, zero, nada" to precisely $118/address. That's quite a range! I would have been confused trying to assign a value to that list! I don't know how they got to $150, but I think a wide range of values are justifiable, and since Alan has already pointed out that the list value doesn't matter as far as the OCPF goes, is it worth battling over this?

I think it would be much more productive to discuss what we think is OK in emailing. What about my original question:

How do you feel about emails you get which are the result of your email address being culled from other unrelated emails? (For example, what if you get an email from a member of your church on a non-church related issue, and the mailer had no personal experience with you? what if you get an email from a political candidate who got your email address from a mailing you were both on, say a curling club mailing, or a mailing you both got because your kids were in the same class at school?)