Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Brown

3 50.00%
  • Martha Coakley

3 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Senate Election, Brown vs. Coakley, January 19

High mileage on a vehicle not only saves the environment for all the reasons stated above but it also amortizes the cost of the equipment over more miles and as the number of miles increases, the $/mile for that vehicle decreases. I'll bet the truck is paid off too. So its also a fiscally responsible thing to do. Kudos on both accounts.

Default "Uncle!", but wait, maybe not.

All true about getting so many miles out of the car. I was about to cry uncle when I saw this:

Pick-up truck trendsetter
    Brown’s vehicle drawing interest at Mass. dealerships

That the truck is cool is NOT the message anybody should be getting. Fine, drive your old one into the grave, but for God's sake, please don't buy a new one that isn't truly necessary for your job or life.

As far as hybrid batteries go, here's a good post from Prius Chat, and also this from HybridCars.com:

How often do hybrid batteries need replacing? Is replacement expensive and disposal an environmental problem?

The hybrid battery packs are designed to last for the lifetime of the vehicle, somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 miles, probably a whole lot longer. The warranty covers the batteries for between eight and ten years, depending on the carmaker.

Battery toxicity is a concern, although today's hybrids use NiMH batteries, not the environmentally problematic rechargeable nickel cadmium. "Nickel metal hydride batteries are benign. They can be fully recycled," says Ron Cogan, editor of the Green Car Journal. Toyota and Honda say that they will recycle dead batteries and that disposal will pose no toxic hazards. Toyota puts a phone number on each battery, and they pay a $200 "bounty" for each battery to help ensure that it will be properly recycled.

There's no definitive word on replacement costs because they are almost never replaced. According to Toyota, since the Prius first went on sale in 2000, they have not replaced a single battery for wear and tear

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    Pretty sure Wayland being the lowest (but still impressive) % of Brown voters paints our electorate as a bit out of touch. Did 55% of the people really believe that Martha would do a better job based on the dismally managed (and that's being polite) campaign she ran?
    Jeff, if you set your red lenses aside, I'll set my blue ones aside. Can we at least agree that how one campaigns isn't necessarily a strong predictor of how one might govern? To be sure, the Brown campaign was significantly better than the Coakley campaign (shame on her and her team). And Brown is probably a better campaigner than Coakley (no shame there--those are basically the cards a person is dealt charisma-wise). But based on political accomplishments to date (again, setting aside which side of the aisle you prefer), which I'll argue are a much stronger predictor of ability to govern, I contend that Brown's record doesn't come close to touching Coakley's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Jeff, if you set your red lenses aside, I'll set my blue ones aside. Can we at least agree that how one campaigns isn't necessarily a strong predictor of how one might govern? To be sure, the Brown campaign was significantly better than the Coakley campaign (shame on her and her team). And Brown is probably a better campaigner than Coakley (no shame there--those are basically the cards a person is dealt charisma-wise). But based on political accomplishments to date (again, setting aside which side of the aisle you prefer), which I'll argue are a much stronger predictor of ability to govern, I contend that Brown's record doesn't come close to touching Coakley's.
    Jeff, you're back on the boards. I've been wondering about your lack of response on so many topics where you'd usually be there. Has Louis put a muzzle on you?

As to your point above, I think campaigning shows a lot about the drive and determination of a candidate. Scott's team showed 110% effort while Martha showed a % just somewhat north of zero. If she actually cared about being the US Senator, she would have worked harder (i.e. - shaking hands with voters outside Fenway Park). Red or blue aside, I guess I'd disagree.

BTW, Martha has been a DA, no real predictor of her likelihood to be effective in the Senate. In fact, I'd go so far as to say neither candidate has a track record that would predict success in the US Senate. Scott simply wanted it more, and benefited from not being a member of the party currently displeasing so many Americans both here and around the country. It will now be his seat to win or lose in two years based on how he actually performs.

One other point -- Don B. was looking for real examples of Scott's successes in the Senate based on my lauditory comments previously in this thread. I was referring to my personal interactions with him as it related to support for legislative efforts I was involved with personally and professinally. In every case in which I called on him and our state rep (Tom Conroy), Scott was highly responsive, took time to hear me personally on my views, and helped to craft and shape legislation that mattered (and was ultimately passed). Tom Conroy could barely get off his behind to answer my inital inquires in a timely manner (a month to respond to e-mails, as an example). So, as it related to effectiveness on the State level, I give him high marks for concern about his constiutents (especially compared to Conroy, who ostensibly should be more responsive given his much smaller constituency).

Has Louis put a muzzle on you?
    Let's be polite here, please.

As to your point above, I think campaigning shows a lot about the drive and determination of a candidate. Scott's team showed 110% effort while Martha showed a % just somewhat north of zero. If she actually cared about being the US Senator, she would have worked harder (i.e. - shaking hands with voters outside Fenway Park). Red or blue aside, I guess I'd disagree.
    Not totally sure this true, Jeff. I agree that Scott showed more determination. Martha made the mistake of thinking she had it won, and was complacent. For that, she gets our shame. But were roles reversed, maybe he would have done the same thing. We can't really know. So I don't think it says much about how hard either will work going forward. She should have worked harder, I doubt anyone is going to argue that.

One other point -- Don B. was looking for real examples of Scott's successes in the Senate based on my lauditory comments previously in this thread. I was referring to my personal interactions with him as it related to support for legislative efforts I was involved with personally and professinally. In every case in which I called on him and our state rep (Tom Conroy), Scott was highly responsive, took time to hear me personally on my views, and helped to craft and shape legislation that mattered (and was ultimately passed). Tom Conroy could barely get off his behind to answer my inital inquires in a timely manner (a month to respond to e-mails, as an example). So, as it related to effectiveness on the State level, I give him high marks for concern about his constiutents (especially compared to Conroy, who ostensibly should be more responsive given his much smaller constituency).
    I have found both Tom to be extremely helpful and responsive. I always get a prompt answer to emails, and he has proactively contacted me several times on issues I've previously raised with him to give me status updates and let me know when there would be hearings and the like.
    Scott, on the other hand, was responsive, but not at all helpful. Not a big deal that he didn't agree with me on why I had contacted him (he's certainly entitled), but to speak with me at length and then go on a few days later and tell someone else that no one else had ever contacted him on that issue? A waste of both of our time.

I hope I will be wrong. But when Mitch McConnell says of him "Henceforth, I will always think of him as 41", I think I hope his job will not be to be obstructionist. I will have my fingers crossed that he is there not to be "41" but to represent you AND me.

While it’s not often that I disagree with a brilliant mind like Jeff Baron, I do on this issue.
    It took George Bush 8 years to get us into the mess we’re in now.
    Obama had only been in office for 6 months when Teabaggers and others started inciting impatience in people around the country that he hadn’t immediately and miraculously cured all of the ills imposed on us by Bush and his band of thieves.

Any discontent and impatience among the electorate at this point is both premature and misplaced. Where were these people during the 8 years that Bush decimated our economy and our country?

I don’t know much about Coakley, or Brown for that matter, as I’ve been focused all on what’s been happening to Wayland’s economy and the shameful budget that our SC just signed off on with blinders on. But I’ll save that for another thread such as Save Our Secretaries. My point is that I’m not totally up to speed with either candidate, but my sense is that while Coakley may not have been ideal – and, yes, she absolutely did a horrendous job of campaigning – she would have been more likely to get in there and give Obama’s efforts half a chance.

To Brown’s credit, he is talking along the lines of keeping an open mind and voting on each bill’s own merits. However, I believe that the Republican machine is already assimilating him with Borg-like precision into their own oppositional positions to fight Obama on virtually everything, in an effort to make him as ineffective as possible.

That said, it’s over. I wish him well and will keep an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron
    Has Louis put a muzzle on you?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    It's a legitimate question, asked in a humorous way.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    As Scott Brown said on WEEI this morning, "I love when people have a good sense of humor and can laugh at themselves a little bit. It makes the day so much better." A joke, Kim. Given all that's gone on recently, and given I was not in a thread about SC matters, let's hope people can take themselves a little less seriously and recognize levity when they see it.

As Scott Brown said on WEEI this morning, "I love when people have a good sense of humor and can laugh at themselves a little bit. It makes the day so much better." A joke, Kim. Given all that's gone on recently, and given I was not in a thread about SC matters, let's hope people can take themselves a little less seriously and recognize levity when they see it.
    All for humor, here!

But note that Scott was talking about laughing at himself, not laughing at someone else. I apologize if you meant it lightly. It came off to me as sort of taunting, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. And I'm sure Jeff takes far less offense than I did.

I wonder what the over/under is on the first vote of substance in which Scott Brown votes with a minority of his party.