Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And Now What?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    You mean you don't have a SlingBox to watch WaylandTV remotely?
    No SlingBox for me. Was the meeting televised live?

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    Could you elaborate on this?
    Specifically how did allowing this issue to go to the Mass Judcicial Court "lead to the best educational outcomes"?
    In my opinion, personnel evaluations conducted in private (as companies do, for instance, even for CEOs of public companies, which are most akin to the situation under discussion) lead to more candid evaluations, which in turn lead to better constructive criticism and ultimately opportunities for improvement. Improved performance leads to better educational outcomes.

You got me there. The BoS was live and the SC was taped although I have to say that the SC is much more interesting nowadays. So they should reverse that.
    Without your esteemed presence they did not want to discuss it. So get back soon.

Default Stay Tuned....

Always with a flair for the dramatic (in their own under-stated, nonchalant sort of way), the SC did not share with the world the content of those emails last night.

They voted to release them (finally! - if you were there, you know what I'm talking about), but rather than announce them publicly, they decided that in order for people to receive a copy, they must send Gary an email, and he will respond within 10 days.

There was also some comment from one of them something like, this way they'll be able to keep track of who requests a copy of it. I'd have to hear the tape again to figure out what exactly that person said.

John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

There was also some comment from one of them something like, this way they'll be able to keep track of who requests a copy of it. I'd have to hear the tape again to figure out what exactly that person said.
    While I confess to not being there last night, I wouldn't be overly surprised to learn that this is exactly why this process was constructed to release e-mails that are supposed to be made public. Maybe this extra work in the Admin office will help to justify the three secretaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    While I confess to not being there last night, I wouldn't be overly surprised to learn that this is exactly why this process was constructed to release e-mails that are supposed to be made public. Maybe this extra work in the Admin office will help to justify the three secretaries.
    It doesn't seem to me that making them public means that they have to publish them in the Town Crier, and it's not unreasonble to ask that people request it. Really, the reason for the case was that the Crier wanted them. If the Crier had gotten them in the first place, they are probably the only ones who would have requested/read them. That said, it's silly to think they can keep track of who has read them, even if they can keep track of requests. They are going to be emailed around. And ten days is a tad long to respond to an email, unless they are just covering themselves for handling responses over vacation weeks, when such a delay would be reasonable. Hopefully, they will be much faster. We can all report back on our experience. As for them being public -- frankly, I doubt that there's anything that would prevent someone who has the emails from publishing them wherever they wanted, even here in this forum.

And Jeff, I know why you missed the meeting -- I think we had the better deal last night, don't you? The Choral Connection was terrific. Many thanks to Joanne Hammil!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    It doesn't seem to me that making them public means that they have to publish them in the Town Crier, and it's not unreasonble to ask that people request it. Really, the reason for the case was that the Crier wanted them. If the Crier had gotten them in the first place, they are probably the only ones who would have requested/read them. That said, it's silly to think they can keep track of who has read them, even if they can keep track of requests. They are going to be emailed around. And ten days is a tad long to respond to an email, unless they are just covering themselves for handling responses over vacation weeks, when such a delay would be reasonable. Hopefully, they will be much faster. We can all report back on our experience. As for them being public -- frankly, I doubt that there's anything that would prevent someone who has the emails from publishing them wherever they wanted, even here in this forum.
    I agree with almost all of the above, Kim, except the whole requesting thing. If we agree that once they're out, they're out, then why the whole shenanigan of making someone request it. Just release them and be done with it. Don't wait ten days to comply with a request, just post them on the Wayland School Committee website and move on! The whole thing just smacks of something untoward -- even if there is nothing wrong. I think (scracth that, I know) America is sick of governmental bodies hiding things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    And Jeff, I know why you missed the meeting -- I think we had the better deal last night, don't you? The Choral Connection was terrific. Many thanks to Joanne Hammil!
    The MUCH better deal! I didn't see you there (or I would have mentioned this in person), but I certainly saw your daughter and was very impressed with how she sang in Russian. That being said, I was very impressed with all the kids and what a great job they did! I thought my parents were going to pass out with excitement over the whole evening.

I agree with almost all of the above, Kim, except the whole requesting thing. If we agree that once they're out, they're out, then why the whole shenanigan of making someone request it. Just release them and be done with it. Don't wait ten days to comply with a request, just post them on the Wayland School Committee website and move on!
    You are right.

The MUCH better deal! I didn't see you there (or I would have mentioned this in person), but I certainly saw your daughter and was very impressed with how she sang in Russian. That being said, I was very impressed with all the kids and what a great job they did! I thought my parents were going to pass out with excitement over the whole evening.
    You are right about this, too. The kids showed poise and confidence. There's nothing like standing up on your own and putting yourself on the line in front of a large audience like those kids did last night. So good for them!! Your daughter was terrific, too, and looked like she was really enjoying herself. When they can perform like that, with big smiles on their faces, they are learning incredibly important skills that will serve them well throughout their whole lives.

Default Read it and weep.

And now what, you ask?

Well, now the emails have been released.

One of them is absolutely scathing, where nearly every point in it is a criticism of the Superintendent. That's not to say that the comments are mean. Good reasoning seems to support each one, and it is obvious that some thought went into this. They are just brutally honest.

The other one seems to be not the slightest big controversial or critical and one has to wonder why Jeff fought so hard and spent so much of the town's money fighting its release.

In the first one, there are about 14 lines of text that Jeff has blacked out. The justification for this is that he wanted to remove names. However, that's an awful lot of names listed in one man's evaluation!

And also, some of them must be long strings of names in sentences with no verbs, because there are entire sentences that are blacked out, leaving one wondering, what is being hidden here, and why?

And now what, you ask?

One of them is absolutely scathing, where nearly every point in it is a criticism of the Superintendent. That's not to say that the comments are mean. Good reasoning seems to support each one, and it is obvious that some thought went into this. They are just brutally honest.

The other one seems to be not the slightest big controversial or critical and one has to wonder why Jeff fought so hard and spent so much of the town's money fighting its release.

In the first one, there are about 14 lines of text that Jeff has blacked out. The justification for this is that he wanted to remove names. However, that's an awful lot of names listed in one man's evaluation!

And also, some of them must be long strings of names in sentences with no verbs, because there are entire sentences that are blacked out, leaving one wondering, what is being hidden here, and why?
    John, at least we'll get an answer to your query (http://www.wickedlocal.com/wayland/n...ee-evaluations) after the DA answers Alan's formal complaint. Let's hope this doesn't produce another years-long legal battle/attorney fees.

And now what, you ask?

Are we reading the same document? Every third phrase is " I don't know", "I had no knowledge", "I'm not sure", "I don't feel I have sufficient information", "some people would say", "from what I understand", "I am not so sure"... ad nauseum. This isn't a performance review, it's a lame apology for being clueless.