Thread: Movie Review: Avatar

Default Movie Review: Avatar

Loved it! "Been there, done that" story and passable acting more than offset by truly stunning visuals. I saw it in IMAX 3D and was simply floored. If this is the future of big-budget film-making, I'm on board.

And this was BIG budget... I hear $300M... more than 'Water World' which had the previous record.
    I will see it based on your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Loved it! "Been there, done that" story and passable acting more than offset by truly stunning visuals. I saw it in IMAX 3D and was simply floored. If this is the future of big-budget film-making, I'm on board.
    My sentiments exactly. I had a similar reaction in 1977 when I first saw Star Wars.

"Ender's Game" in 3D would be fun...

Dave

Ender's Game was great. Have you read Ender's Shadow? A must.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Ender's Game was great. Have you read Ender's Shadow? A must.
    Yes; I've read most of Card's books.

Jeff, saw it tonight in 3D. Got there just in time and had a row 2 seat which is not as comfortable to view.
    But, it was a great fantasy movie and one that rivals Lord of the Rings. Great special effects and I didn't think the acting was bad at all.
    The characters were believable and I loved the fact that Sigourney Weaver was in it with an important part. I am a big Alien fan and you might remember the character named 'Gonzales' who was muscular well built spanish young woman marine in Aliens' 2.

Gonzales was in this movie, she was the helicopter pilot and in the end became a hero and died.
    Remember the line in Alien 2 when Gonzales is doing pull ups next to a big strapping marine just after a suspended animation wake up....

Marine: "Hey Gonzales... you ever feel like a man?"
    Gonzales: "No... You?"

Great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    I loved the fact that Sigourney Weaver was in it with an important part
    Have you seen Galaxy Quest, Alan?

Dave's question wasn't directed to me, but I can't resist chiming in and recommending "Galaxy Quest" to (i) all who watched "Star Trek" from its beginnings in the mid-1960s, (ii) fans of Tony Shalhoub, who has a major role that is a variation of his "Monk" character, (iii) fans of the great actor Alan Rickman, who's perfect in his role, (iv) fans of Sigourney Weaver, who's perfect, (v) fans of Rainn Wilson ("Dwight" in "The Office"), who plays an alien in a role that seems creepily appropriate for him, and (vi) everyone else.

Default Hero worship? complex?

I don’t know if “the Avatar” fits this categorization, and certainly some of the other films mentioned don’t (being satires/comedies) but it seems that there’s a large genre of movies (all action movies?) where there’s a hero who is unbelievably invulnerable, and against overwhelming odds, saves our butts.

And it’s not just movies, it’s everywhere (e.g., comic books, presidents). Wasn’t the enthusiasm over Obama a Superman type thing. Flying in to save America (from itself no less).

I’ve always wondered if this wasn’t because of some aspect of our psychology. A modern extension of believing in a messiah, or the Lord. We are not capable of saving ourselves and await the good warlord who’ll selflessly lead us to the promised land.

“Empowerment” – it seems to me that this hero concept promotes just the opposite. Yes, I’m lazy and inadequate, perhaps everyone is, so I’ll/we’ll just wait here until someone who doesn’t make mistakes like I do, or has better luck comes and…

In Wayland (or America), if there’s some problem, do we colllectively go forward, cooperatively finding our own answers or do we wait upon our usual political metaphor, where opposing forces battle it out, hoping that somehow the hero will appear giving us the “right” solution?

I don’t know, but today my hero is the woman who did all that fiscal analysis in Jeff Baron’s “Open Letter” thread. Fight on!

donBustin@verizon.net