Thread: Response to comments in anonymous weekend flier

Default Response to comments in anonymous weekend flier

The following was submitted to us by the HSBC:

The HSBC received a number of questions over the weekend, in response to an anonymous flier that is apparently being distributed. Here are the questions.

Is there a competitive bid program for all aspects of the project? Yes, as required by state law.

Is there a spending limit for the project? Yes. The warrant article establishes a spending limit for the project. No more can be spent without another appropriation.

Is state funding guaranteed this time? Is it a political promise? Do we have something in writing? We have a commitment in writing from the MSBA, click here. If the project is approved, Wayland and the MSBA will execute a contract, the Project Funding Agreement. Wayland has already received the first reimbursement for the project work already completed.

Will the Governor’s funding cuts affect Wayland’s $25 million grant? The MSBA says no in their Response to Budget Inquiries found on their website. MSBA officials have assured the HSBC that future cuts would not affect project commitments already made, only the potential for future project commitments. Emily Mahlman, Director of Communications at the MSBA, sent an email to Town Administrator Fred Turkington in which she said, “The Wayland project will not be impacted.” For more on her email, read this Letter to the Crier, 11-09-09.

Has the project increased in cost by 40% with a decrease in school size of 25%? Are construction and material costs lower now than 5 years ago? Compared to the 2004 proposal, the current proposal budget is 24% more and has 17% less square footage. Construction costs are not lower now than 5 years ago; in fact, in the time the two projects were estimated, costs rose 40%. Compared to the 2004 proposal, the current proposal has fewer low cost spaces (like storage, truck bays, a gymnasium and auditorium space) and more contingency. The MSBA and their cost estimators carefully reviewed Wayland’s budget and compared it to other recent projects before they approved it.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 11-16-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: to attribute the post to the HSBC

Default Post original

Kim,

Since I and many others have not seen the original flyer... could you please scan that flyer and post it as a PDF? The Q and A are presented out of context so one doesn't get to see how this anonymous flyer responded to its own questions... if at all.

Thanks.

Default Scans

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Kim,

Since I and many others have not seen the original flyer... could you please scan that flyer and post it as a PDF? The Q and A are presented out of context so one doesn't get to see how this anonymous flyer responded to its own questions... if at all.

Thanks.
    Hi Alan, attached are scans of the flier. Sorry for the quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Why Anonymous?

If someone felt strongly enough to generate and print this flier let alone put it on people's mailboxes on Sunday morning why do so anonymously? It really damages the credibility of the flier (if that is even possible).

Default I saw this person

I saw this "jogger" running from mailbox to mailbox on Sunday morning in the near Loker while riding my bike. I did not recognize her.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    If someone felt strongly enough to generate and print this flier let alone put it on people's mailboxes on Sunday morning why do so anonymously? It really damages the credibility of the flier (if that is even possible).
    More "Truth for Wayland", perhaps?

Default This is not the Crier

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bernstein View Post
    More "Truth for Wayland", perhaps?
    I have seen a rash of posts on the Town Crier Discussion Forum where people try to guess who anonymous people are. It's awful! People get thoroughly convinced that they know, and yet I've seen conflicting guesses from different people. It's anonymous, and the guessing game, while inevitable in such a venue, is juvenile.

This is not an anonymous forum. People come here using their names. I firmly expect that we're not going to have guessing game spillover from that other board.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    I have seen a rash of posts on the Town Crier Discussion Forum where people try to guess who anonymous people are. It's awful! People get thoroughly convinced that they know, and yet I've seen conflicting guesses from different people. It's anonymous, and the guessing game, while inevitable in such a venue, is juvenile.

This is not an anonymous forum. People come here using their names. I firmly expect that we're not going to have guessing game spillover from that other board.
    The reference to damaged credibility led me to speculate that the anti-eponymous "Truth For Wayland" was the source of the anonymous flier; I did not speculate as to his or her identity.

Interesting responses, though...

I thought that I'd get my quick two cents in on the illegal flier before being swamped by the inevitable flood of equal condemnation from those who've attempted to take the School Committee to task for having a self-funded web site.

Unlike the web site, which not only breaks no laws, but hasn't really even drawn any concrete reasons why it might be objectionable, the flier of this thread's subject line may well have broken not one but TWO laws: MA campaign finance law and federal law regarding the use of mailboxes.

Have at it, ladies and gents--let the authors know that you find their flier to be an affront against all that is good and proper! [grin]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    the flier of this thread's subject line may well have broken not one but TWO laws: MA campaign finance law and federal law regarding the use of mailboxes.
    The flier may well have broken MA Campaign Finance Laws, but at least with respect to my mailbox, they did not put the flier INSIDE the mailbox, and I think that the outside of the mailbox (e.g., tucked inside the flag, or in a newspaper slot) is fair game.

Did anyone receive their flier IN the box?

Did anyone see the people making the deliveries? Elizabeth said she saw a jogger, I saw a car (hatchback - Subaru or Volvo, wasn't paying enough attention at the time) with a female passenger who inserted the flier in my box.