Thread: Movie Review: 2012

Cool Movie Review: 2012

Well get your popcorn, because its time to review a movie which is Hollywood's next attempt to scintillate its audience with mass destruction and special effects. This time its the entire planet and it only took 180 minutes of sipping on Bloody's Mary's with beer chasers at the Premium AMC theatre. Yes, this time I went for it and splurged on my wife in the plush theater which serves alcohol and nachos.

In this flick the sun hits its solar peak in December 2012 and all of those very benign 'neutrinos' which have been flooding through the Earth, us and the universe forever and have always passed harmlessly through everything and anything have 'morphed' into a variety (yet to be seen by physicists) which now frequently interacts with matter and is heating up the Earth's core in what the movie calls a 'microwaving' effect. (The physics people in the audience would start laughing here but I suspect I was the only one and I was too busy eating nachos).

With the Earth now 'cooked' from the inside, the crust begins to destabilize and all HELL breaks loose. California slides into the Pacific Ocean (finally [grin] ), Yellowstone erupts into a volcanic blast (as it did eon's ago) covering the US with a blanket of black volcanic dust. The iconic hotels of Las Vegas crumble (even the Wynn ... I wonder how much Wynn paid to showcase that?). Hawaii becomes a molten flow and just when you thought things can't get worse... here come the Tsunamis. One lifts the aircraft carrier JFK right onto president Danny Glover who goes down with the ship at the White House.

Am I giving this movie away... no way. The special effects are worth the price but thats it because the acting (if you want to call it that) was horrendous. After 2 1/2 hours of planetary mayhem, we get to listen to campy lines of love and affection which are so bad that laughter finally begins to break out in the audience.

If anybody is concerned that the world is going to end on 12/21/2012 then see this link:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

And as for those pesky morphing neutrinos...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/bl...s-c-2009-11-13

I give this movie One Thumbs up (for the special effects) and One Thumbs down (for everything else)

But go see it for the thrills and the unintended laughs.

Alan Reiss "signing off from the balcony".
    (Sorry Ebert And Ropert)

Thumbs up Icon Request

Hey Kim,

Could you arrange to give us new Icons for the text...
    Two Thumbs up
    Two Thumbs down
    One Thumb up and One Thumb down

Thanks.

Is this akin to the "Like" (and now "Dislike") options on Facebook? What, not enough precision to one thumb up or down?! [grin]

Lightbulb My secret fantasy

If I'm gonna pretend to be Siskel and Ebert I'm gonna need dual thumbs...
    I mean in cyberspace that is.

And those guys got to see movies for free which is something else I'm working on.