Thread: Forget the Student/Teacher ratio, what about the Student/Administrator ratio?

Default Forget the Student/Teacher ratio, what about the Student/Administrator ratio?

The attached graph shows the Student/Administrator ratio in Wayland, compared to some of our peer towns.
    As I looked at the graph, these questions came up for me:

In what way, and to what extent, do our students benefit by having such a low Student/Administrator ratio?

Could we be getting a better value for our dollar if we spent this money in another way?

John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

John, is there a reason you didn't post the data from all of our peer towns? Also, FYI, Newton is not one of the towns on our peer list, even though their educational objectives and outcomes are similar to ours.

The attached graph shows all of the peer towns that are listed on the School Committee website and the FinCom website EXCEPT for the towns that are part of a regional district such as Lincoln/Sudbury or Acton/Boxborough, etc.

At a time when Dr. Burton is recommending $1,000,000 in cuts in next year's budget, only $20,000 of which is in administration, it is not unreasonable to ask whether a larger percentage of these cuts could be made further away from our students.

The only town that comes close to Wayland in having so many Administrators to Students is Brookline, and they have a $90m budget, three times the size of ours.

Can we afford this?
    Do our students benefit from it sufficiently to warrant teacher cuts that have been proposed?
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/